• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to start a walk?

mz-s

Mouseketeer
I want to start a walk for a room, I tried this morning. I went on at around 7:57 and highlighted the dates I wanted. At 8:00:01, I clicked Continue to book it. But the room was already gone.

Does booking open before 8:00 AM sharp? I don't understand how I missed it if I was seriously on there at exactly 8:00AM...I had another tab opened up to time.gov to make sure.

I will try again tomorrow...thanks for any tips!

No, experience says 8AM sharp - and I've been unlucky way more than lucky. There could be dozens of folks looking for that same room. However, depending on the time of year, the room, and the points required, sometimes people 'walk' their reservation right on past the dates you want. So if you can't latch on to that first date - keep trying, or wait to see if you can book on the backend. Some room types are very, very difficult to get, even at 11 months.

No, experience says 8AM sharp - and I've been unlucky way more than lucky. There could be dozens of folks looking for that same room. However, depending on the time of year, the room, and the points required, sometimes people 'walk' their reservation right on past the dates you want. So if you can't latch on to that first date - keep trying, or wait to see if you can book on the backend. Some room types are very, very difficult to get, even at 11 months.

Tomorrow I'll try at 8:00:00 exactly, then. I gave a second's leeway just to account for inaccuracies because if you're too early, you're forced to refresh the page. Thanks!

Let us know if you have any luck! I'm looking to start a walk for the first time ever to extend our December dates around the holidays - so far my room category has been gone each morning exactly at the 7 month window.

Let us know if you have any luck! I'm looking to start a walk for the first time ever to extend our December dates around the holidays - so far my room category has been gone each morning exactly at the 7 month window.

It's fun to me, sort of like hunting I guess. Figuring out the ins and outs. Etc. I would be frustrated if I actually needed this reservation, in reality I could easily pick a different category and be perfectly happy.

Is it only necessary to "walk" for certain times of the year? I'm a little nervous for booking when we eventually want to go the beginning of December (1 BR, VGC.)

Is it only necessary to "walk" for certain times of the year? I'm a little nervous for booking when we eventually want to go the beginning of December (1 BR, VGC.)

Not every room type or resort is as difficult to get. For example you never really have to walk at Saratoga, the resort is so big there's pretty much always availability. I don't know much about VGC to say for sure though.

Not every room type or resort is as difficult to get. For example you never really have to walk at Saratoga, the resort is so big there's pretty much always availability. I don't know much about VGC to say for sure though.

That's good to know since I'm also hoping to make a SSR reservation in the near future!

I was trying to walk a reservation BWV standard view studio for spring break, and it took a few days for me to actually get a first day I could walk forward with. I thought I was out of luck bc the same thing kept happening to me, the room I wanted was available at 8 am then gone before I got it. Other days the first day wasn't even available. But by chance one day I checked back around 8:30, and other walkers must've been modifying their reservations bc the first day was available. I grabbed it, moved on, and finally got the 4 days I wanted. This is where it would've been much more helpful to have a bigger contract bc it was for that higher point week before Easter.

So good luck. My advice is keep checking back later in the day in case someone is modifying their reservation.

Could someone explain to me how "walking" works? I will be trying for a Beach Club studio for May 2024 (13-18) at the 7 month mark- what's the best game plan?

Could someone explain to me how "walking" works? I will be trying for a Beach Club studio for May 2024 (13-18) at the 7 month mark- what's the best game plan?

Walking at 7 months does not always work because an owner can come in and book nights you can’t yet access.

But the theory is the same. You book a trip starting ahead of the day you really want and just move it forward before the check out date booked.

So, if you really want May 13th, instead if starting Oct 13th which is 7 months, you start say Oct 1st for May 1st to 8th and then keep moving your trip to the actual dates

Walking at 7 months does not always work because an owner can come in and book nights you can’t yet access.
I'd honestly have a backup plan for this reason. I know it's May and usually less crowded then but it's still Beach Club and it's for a studio. Any BCV owner can swoop in at any time before your window opens and it's very unlikely you'll be able to grab 5 consecutive days there. You're more likely to snag a 1BR if you can swing the points.

Not a bad idea to also just book your home resort as a backup if you have enough points to do that. Obviously if it's SSR or something I wouldn't bother because there will still be full availability at that time but something to consider.

I also encourage you to have a back up plan if you don't already have one. Odds of finding 5 consecutive studio days available at BCV are not in your favor. But good luck!

You’ll be fine at 11 months- especially in a 1BR. We are 1BR people and the bonus is they are easier to get!

You’ll be fine at 11 months- especially in a 1BR. We are 1BR people and the bonus is they are easier to get!

That's good. Normally we will be studio people but we plan to bank and borrow to stay in a 1BR as a little treat for the Christmas season that year.

The issue you're having is that rooms can be gone even days ahead of time. If you're 7 months out booking a trip for Monday-Wednesday but someone else wants the same dates Sunday-Wednesday, then they've got that reservation before you by a whole day.

This is kind of the basis for walking - I'm gonna get my days by making sure I have them before anyone else.

So you have to be able to get a toe in on a less popular day than you want. Walking before Thanksgiving or Spring Break, etc, you're going after a fixed popular time that you can get ahead of. Otherwise, walking is just as tough and dependent on luck as booking the day you want exactly 7 months out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter