• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to Protect Luggage

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
I bought my wife these bags as a surprise gift. The smaller one is a carry-on. Anything I can do to protect them from getting completely dirty on our first trip?

I have tried scotch guard on other bags and it didnt do diddly.

image.jpg

Buy black luggage. These are fancy, sure, but the point of luggage is to be used, not kept pristine.

Best option? Don't use it :).

Realistically though, there's nothing you can really do to prevent it from getting dirty. And if you spend a lot of effort at trying to prevent it, that almost guarantees that your bag will be one of those shredded by the luggage system. :)

The airports will make sure of it, right?

We fully expect it to get dirty, but just hoping to keep it clean a little longer than if it were untreated.

Still treat it with Scotch Guard. That will protect it from anything soaking in should it get rained on.

Take some baking soda with you, along with a soft tooth brush. When you get your luggage, make a thin(ish) paste by adding some water. Clean with that and wipe it off with a damp cloth and let air dry or dry with a hair dryer. We have some orange luggage that came back from Mexico looking like they rubbed it with dirty tires and we were able to clean it decently well.

You can also use a drop or two of Dawn liquid in about 8 oz of water, but I prefer the baking soda method.

I have red luggage, and I don't think it's that dirty...if anything I swear dirt pops out more on black luggage.

Its gonna get dirty scuffed...and knocked around a lot. Thats just how it is. Enjoy it now...
We buy cheap luggage in TJ Maxx knowing its..just luggage and its going to get worn.

Just throwing this out there...

Airlines generally have a list of things that are covered for damage. United, for example, has a sign posted outside of their baggage service office that reads in part, "Luggage is designed to protect the contents. We are not responsible for normal wear and tear on bags"

So basically, it's almost a bad idea to buy special cutesy bags like these, because the baggage system and bag handlers do not treat them gently.

I like the suggestions of buying cheaper black bags, but using fabric paint or puff paint to design something on the front that will aid you in finding yours in the sea of other boring black bags.

We FedEx our luggage. FedEx is far gentler than the airlines. Luggage still gets a bit dirty; no way to avoid that but not as bad as the airlines.

The wildly patterned, stretchy luggage carriers we bought on amazon that zip are great . Easy to spot and have kept our luggage pristine. Would like to think there may be less chance of theft as they aren’t exactly inconspicuous. They are starting to show wear after breaking 10 trips, far more cost effective to replace one of them for under $20 vs a $300 suitcase.

The wildly patterned, stretchy luggage carriers we bought on amazon that zip are great . Easy to spot and have kept our luggage pristine. Would like to think there may be less chance of theft as they aren’t exactly inconspicuous. They are starting to show wear after breaking 10 trips, far more cost effective to replace one of them for under $20 vs a $300 suitcase.
Following up on @keishashadow, this one https://www.amazon.com/Explore-Land-Suitcase-Protector-Polkadot/dp/B017LH4L2M/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2LGYSOOJ80Y17&keywords=luggage+cover&qid=1559490640&s=gateway&sprefix=Luggage+cov,aps,461&sr=8-9 even coordinates. Sort of :). Amazon even has clear plastic ones that close with Velcro, so the luggwge print is still visible.

I've considered buying some of those covers before, especially for our black suitcases that look like everyone else's :cutie: . However, once in a while our luggage comes off the plane with a sticker on it saying that TSA opened it for inspection, which they are allowed to do. Anyone know how TSA handles those covers, or the straps that go all the way around the bag, for that matter? Do they put them back on the suitcase?

I've considered buying some of those covers before, especially for our black suitcases that look like everyone else's :cutie: . However, once in a while our luggage comes off the plane with a sticker on it saying that TSA opened it for inspection, which they are allowed to do. Anyone know how TSA handles those covers, or the straps that go all the way around the bag, for that matter? Do they put them back on the suitcase?
I don’t know anything about the covers, but we have used wrap around colored straps for many years. They make it much easier to spot your black bags as they arrive in the baggage claim area. When TSA has opened our bags, the straps have always been snapped back in place pretty much as we had them when we checked our bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter