How to plan?

proud mom

Take me to my happy place.
Currently scheduled to go to WDW this November with my 22 year old daughter. The issue is planning. In the past Disney always announced park hours months in advance so I could figure out where we wanted to go when. But now they only have park hours out through June. How do I decide where to go when?

Right now we are planning 8 days at WDW and a day or two at Universal. I feel lost.

Currently, the park hours are hard to predict in November, but with no extra magic hours they don’t really fluctuate too much day to day. I usually plan to avoid MK on Mondays, HS on weekends, and Epcot weekend evenings since it’s popular with locals. If I were you I’d book park reservations now and then when you book dining 60 days out you can see if you need to/can rearrange your reservations.

Do you already have park tickets, airfare, or reservations? I've done this trip a LOT! This year, I am spending a week with my 18yo daughter. We will do 5 nights at Disney w Park Hoppers and 2 at Universal with park 2 park. Have you been before?

I usually plan to avoid MK on Mondays, HS on weekends, and Epcot weekend evenings since it’s popular with locals.
This! Right now with limited park capacity there is really nothing else to plan around. Of course that could change by November, but I would go ahead with the assumption that capacity will be somewhat limited and make your plans accordingly. You can always adjust later if needed, but it's better to have some plans now than nothing.

Currently, the park hours are hard to predict in November, but with no extra magic hours they don’t really fluctuate too much day to day. I usually plan to avoid MK on Mondays, HS on weekends, and Epcot weekend evenings since it’s popular with locals. If I were you I’d book park reservations now and then when you book dining 60 days out you can see if you need to/can rearrange your reservations.
And here my first 2 days in oct are epcot and hs on the sat sun. Heh gonna be a zoo anyway around the 50th prolly won't matter much.

And here my first 2 days in oct are epcot and hs on the sat sun. Heh gonna be a zoo anyway around the 50th prolly won't matter much.
A lot of people say to do HS on the weekend because it's always at capacity anyway, no matter what day it is. And other parks are less busy during g the week, so this makes sense.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Do you already have park tickets, airfare, or reservations? I've done this trip a LOT! This year, I am spending a week with my 18yo daughter. We will do 5 nights at Disney w Park Hoppers and 2 at Universal with park 2 park. Have you been before?

I have on site hotel reservations set up with park passes for WDW. I don't have airfare booked yet because at one point I thought we might still have to cancel. I also thought we might end up driving rather than flying. I've been to Walt Disney World a number of times but I've never been to Universal.

This trip is to celebrate my daughter's college graduation which happened a year ago but we had a postpone the trip twice already due to covid.

I have on site hotel reservations set up with park passes for WDW. I don't have airfare booked yet because at one point I thought we might still have to cancel. I also thought we might end up driving rather than flying. I've been to Walt Disney World a number of times but I've never been to Universal.

This trip is to celebrate my daughter's college graduation which happened a year ago but we had a postpone the trip twice already due to covid.
Make sure you make your park reservations also

Not clear how having a particular park open for an extra 1-2 hrs would make that much difference in your planning. Since FastPass is not currently available, your only issue would be making sure you get a park reservation for the day you plan to visit that park.

Park hours are still (mostly) the same pattern as they have been.

AK opens early, closes early
MK opens same as AK or an hour later. Closes later than AK
HS used to do crazy early (7am when Rise was new); now it’s the next opening time.
EPCOT is nearly lunchtime but stays open late.

For Disney - decide what parks you want to visit. What rides most interest you. Assume no shows are happening (hopefully, they will be coming back by then. A modified Lion King is said to return this summer).

8 days at WDW? Parks every day?

I don’t find it that different to plan for these trips than I did in the past.

I’m not used to FP planning and don’t make ADRs. When your 60 day window for dining comes out, book ADRs based on currently posted times and go with that.

I make a list of what us most important in each park and try to accomplish that during my stay.

With 8 days, I could do everything. Most things multiple times. Not have to stay all day and just enjoy myself. No mad dashing around.

Is there anything specific you are trying to schedule? What is concerning you?

Currently scheduled to go to WDW this November with my 22 year old daughter. The issue is planning. In the past Disney always announced park hours months in advance so I could figure out where we wanted to go when. But now they only have park hours out through June. How do I decide where to go when?

Right now we are planning 8 days at WDW and a day or two at Universal. I feel lost.
With the pandemic I think they are doing their best. We will be at WDW for 8 days this fall. We scheduled our days based on what days we would like to be at what park. Our first park is alwasys MK and then usually Animal Kingdom etc etc. We usually parkhop a lot. We just spaced the park visits out not doing two days in a row at the same park. Hopefully by this fall there will be no park reservations???? , all monorails will be running, fast passes will be back, Magic Express will have luggage transfers etc etc etc. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

We are Disney folks, and are very comfortable there - enjoy many of the rides (eg: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Peter Pan). Just went to Universal for the first time (park 2 park) and it was almost overwhelming. Most rides have some sort of roller coaster element, so unless you're into that, there's not a lot of rides. If you are into that, you will really enjoy it. Harry Potter is a good area in both parks: Hogsmeade in one park, the train to connect it to the second park takes you to Diagon Alley - hence, the 2 park tickets. Depending on whether or not you plan to do a lot of riding, you may want to pay the extra to get the "express pass" tickets. No matter what, attitude is everything - have fun.

As others have said, not really a lot of planning required. Go ahead and make your park reservations. Different people have different strategies for that. I was there week before last for 6 nights 5 days with park hoppers, solo. I stayed at Dolphin. Pre-Covid we did no planning, no FPs in advance (sometimes we would make one while standing in line as long as it wasn't any longer than 30 min. out) no advance ADRs, sometimes we would book one the night before but most of the time day of. I hated the tiny amount of planning necessary to book a park reservation.

My thought process, since I was staying at Dolphin I knew I was going to have to bus to AK and MK, walk to Epcot and HS. Since I had PHs I knew I was going to spend a part of every afternoon or evening at Epcot. I knew I wouldn't get there until sometime between 1 and 3 since I drive down. So knowing all that, arrival day I booked Epcot (Sunday) because I knew I'd be there every day and I knew I'd be tired and hungry from driving and F&G booths. 1st full day (it was Monday) I booked AK because I wanted to get the parks I had to bus to out of the way early. 2nd full day (Tuesday) I booked HS, I knew I was going to book 2 HS days in case I didn't get RoTR first time. 3rd full day (Wens) MK, it's actually usually just a half day park for us and not our favorite. 4th full day (Thurs) HS again.

I did keep all those park reservations but hopped every day, one day (I think it was AK day) hopped to 3 parks. Ate at Chefs de France on arrival day, got a 4:45 ADR when I got into my room around 1:30 because all the booths were closed except inside ones because it was a monsoon. Ate at Nomad Lounge at 11 on AK day. Ate lunch at HBD on first HS day, made that ADR that morning after not getting boarding group. Did get a boarding group at 1 while eating my lunch at HBD. Those were the only ADRs I made, I ate at booths or snacked in my room or in the parks the rest of the time. I did eat at the Fountain at the Dolphin on my last night around 5 pm. No ADRs necessary there.

Got a boarding group for my 2nd HS day that morning (group 53 I think) which was called around 11:45.

I went to the pool one day for about a hour and back to my room and napped two days. I did indeed spend part of every afternoon and/or evening at Epcot eating at booths.

I rode every ride I wanted to - AK Safari, FoP, Navi, Dinosaur and EE and walked both trails. MK - (split between one late afternoon and my MK day) HM, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Big Thunder, SDMT, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, CoP, Liberty Bell. HS - RoTR twice, Slinky Dog, Aliens, TSMM, MMRR, ToT (twice on two different days) MFSR and watched Muppets and One Man's Dream. Epcot - Frozen, Mexico, Nemo, Figment, TT, Spaceship earth, The Land three times (twice on one day and then on another day) Soarin twice on same day and watched the Epcot Experience.

I could have ridden every ride in every park had I wanted to and watched Frozen in HS and the movies in Epcot but I don't ride water rides, RRC makes me sick as does Star Tours and Mission Space and Space Mountain hurts me. I can't ever figure out how to do Buzz Lightyear and just didn't want to ride the kids rides in MK.

So no plans except park passes. There was dining ADRs available for every night on morning of. Some were not in the park I had reservations to but there was always something available.(PHs come in handy then) and DS had reservations available every day. I even saw BOG and Le Cellier pop up a couple of times. There were also ADRs available for both lunch and dinner at most resorts on the morning of so could have easily eaten at GF or CR on MK day for lunch had I wanted to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter