How to plan a 'as soon as they re-open' trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raya

DIS Veteran
I'd like to go to Disney...soon. As soon as they open really. I'm aware of the risks, have assessed them, and am willing to take them.

So how do I plan a trip for when WDW opens? Do I just book for April and hope that's the opening, or am I safer picking May? I've seen some blogs say they might open in April with restrictions/changes in lines. Others say they might be closed until June. Given all that I probably won't be able to fly, so I'd just need hotel, dining, and FP. Are all those things 'as normal'?

I really don't think WDW will open until it is safe-for everyone. You are safer picking May IMO, safer even in June, and so forth. Make sure the risks you take don't affect people you care about-but to me your biggest risk in going to WDW asap won't be the virus, as I still think Disney won't foolishly open until it is safe for their employees and guests, but going not knowing what to expect in way of changes to operations.

Book 60 days out at least so you can get FP +. I am guessibg Disney doesn't reopen till later in the summer but that guess changes from day to day.

I think the re-opening will be very dependent on when the Governor of FL allows businesses to re-open, especially non-essential ones that gather together great numbers of people. And in Disney's case those people come from all over the country (and usually the world). Once Disney gets the all clear from FL, it will probably be at least a week or so to get the CM's back, the equipment up & running, and all the food re-stocked.

I would wait. Given past behavior WDW will understaff the parks thus making wait times crazy. WDW seems to be the place from where Disney takes money to prop up other operations.

When it opens up again I think it will be extremely crowded. I would wait a month
I’d imagine locals with AP’s may venture out as soon as it reopens. Will they be enough to make the parks super crowded? I doubt it. It may be more crowded on the weekends, but the parks wI’ll probably be pretty dead on weekdays.

Many/most travellers might not be able to financially afford a Disney trip once the parks re-open. I’m sure international travel will be almost non existent for awhile.

I don’t think there is any way to confidently pre-book a trip until you know when they’re reopening. This is all personal conjecture, so in my opinion, at this point.

There’s no way they will open in April.
Very unlikely that they’ll open in May.
Maybe June, but still doubtful. I really think it will be mid to late summer as a best case scenario this point.

Impossible to predict.

The China parks are still not open 3 months later, so WDW opening in June is optimistic. I think mid May at the absolute earliest, but it could easily be July or even later. I am currently still booked for April even though I know it isn't happening. I already cancelled my flights. My plan B is the end of June, plan C is the end of August, and plan D is November. I think WDW should be open by the end of August. The issue is planning fp 60 days in advance. If you don't care about that, just wait till an announcement is made that they WILL reopen... not that they are closing until because that could easily be extended several times. You will not have trouble getting a room. Too many people have lost income and others will still be fearful of travel for a while.

The China parks are still not open 3 months later, so WDW opening in June is optimistic. I think mid May at the absolute earliest, but it could easily be July or even later. I am currently still booked for April even though I know it isn't happening. I already cancelled my flights. My plan B is the end of June, plan C is the end of August, and plan D is November. I think WDW should be open by the end of August. The issue is planning fp 60 days in advance. If you don't care about that, just wait till an announcement is made that they WILL reopen... not that they are closing until because that could easily be extended several times. You will not have trouble getting a room. Too many people have lost income and others will still be fearful of travel for a while.

Shanghai "partially" reopened last week.

I really think we will see the same here at World with stage openings. Maybe Disney springs, followed by some hotels and parks maybe one at a time.

Shanghai "partially" reopened last week.

I really think we will see the same here at World with stage openings. Maybe Disney springs, followed by some hotels and parks maybe one at a time.
And how might that work with tickets? Disney tickets are so expensive. I can’t really see paying full price for one or two parks to be partially open.

I know people are going to want to get back, but other than locals and others with APs or DVC points that need to be used (i.e. people with sunk costs), how many people are going to want to pay for plane tickets, pay for hotels, and pay for full price park tickets if they can only experience a half or less of WDW?

With the economy in shambles, there aren’t as many people willing to pay that kind of money for a reduced experience.

At this point I think the earliest they might open is mid-late May. They sent the College Program kids home and the next ones 'might' arrive in mid-May and then will have to go through training. If Florida currently has a ban on sit down restaurants/bars until May 8th...they'll be opening after that restriction is gone...assuming it doesn't get extended out.

And I'm saying this all as a person that still has a mid-April trip booked. Unfortunately, I fully expect it to get cancelled at this point.

And, I would also suggest booking 61 days out...there are plenty of people (like me) who are still booked and hanging onto our fastpasses until we 'know' Disney is closed.

If there’s risk, WDW won’t be opening, it doesn’t matter if you’ve assessed it or not. They’ll announce as much lead time as they can. I’ve seen other people booking trips every month for the foreseeable future to have one on the books for when WDW reopens. This is wild to me priority-wise, but to each their own. 1/2 the country may not be working and the economy will have taken a big. Let’s all just chill out and be patient.

If you really want to be there they day they open then right now book for april 1 and as soon as they change it rebook for the new date and keep doing that until the date sticks. Only real way to know.

Shanghai Disney closed on January 25, less than 2 months ago and have partially reopened. I really think April is a loss but middle to late May a possibility.
Just to be clear, Shanghai Disney Park is still closed, and they haven’t announced when it will reopen. Only that it will be in phases.

Their downtown Disney, hotel, and some restaurants are the only things that have reopened:
“Shanghai Disneyland remains closed as we continue to closely monitor health and safety conditions and follow the direction of government regulators. However, as the first step of a phased reopening, Shanghai Disney Resort will partially resume operations on March 9, 2020 with a limited number of shopping, dining, and recreational experiences available in Disneytown, Wishing Star Park and Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Each of these resort locations will operate under limited capacity and reduced hours of operation. The Disney Car and Coach Park and the Disneytown Parking Lot will also reopen.”

I'd like to go to Disney...soon. As soon as they open really. I'm aware of the risks, have assessed them, and am willing to take them.

So how do I plan a trip for when WDW opens? Do I just book for April and hope that's the opening, or am I safer picking May? I've seen some blogs say they might open in April with restrictions/changes in lines. Others say they might be closed until June. Given all that I probably won't be able to fly, so I'd just need hotel, dining, and FP. Are all those things 'as normal'?
I understand how you feel. I'm dying to go, too.

I wouldn't worry about FPs, and just book for when they finally decide will be a realistic reopening time (we all know April 1st is not). Then when it's announced, book & do your FPs then. A ton of people are cancelling trips and/or scared to travel, so it probably won't be as much of an issue as usual to not have the perfect FPs lined up.

I understand how you feel. I'm dying to go, too.

I wouldn't worry about FPs, and just book for when they finally decide will be a realistic reopening time (we all know April 1st is not). Then when it's announced, book & do your FPs then. A ton of people are cancelling trips and/or scared to travel, so it probably won't be as much of an issue as usual to not have the perfect FPs lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter