How to manage stroller with ECV?

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
I am considering taking my DGS (3) to WDW. I have to use an ecv to get around the parks while there. (My DH thinks I am close to needing one here at home too and is pushing me to get one...I of course am still in denial) In December, my son went with us so he pushed the stroller (although DGS did ride with me sometimes). I am going to try to buildup some stamina for walking before we go BUT I have 2 questions:

Is my GAC card invalid if I am not actually in a chair? (I may be able to walk S L O W L Y from place to place but could not stand upright for longer than maybe a 5 minute period).

Should I rent a bigger chair, one made for more weight with a bigger seat and just bag the stroller idea? Should I tell the rental company what I am doing? ARe they more undertsanding than the Disney people about riding double?

Is there any type of chair/device/etc that would make this easier?

I don't have any personal experience (other than being a nurse) with ecvs, since DD has her own wheelchairs and would not be able to ride an ecv at any rate.
What I have read from posters who have rented ecvs (from Disney and off-site) is that you are not allowed to have passengers on the ecv for safety reasons. Some of the companies apparently have it on their rental agreement. Even if the child is very good and doesn't touch the controls, they can get in the way of the driver's hands or vision and cause the ecv to go out of control. I have seen this happen several times at WDW. One small child was very excited and pointed at something as his grandma (at least I assume it was his grandma) was driving. His arm hit her hand and she almost steered into a group of people walking beside them. It's also possible for a child to fall off the ecv, and they could get hurt at 2-4 miles per hour (I'm guessing at the speed, cuase I know my DD's power wheelchair is programmed for a top speed of about 4 miles per hour).

It sounds like you would not be able to walk in lines at all (since in most cases, you would be standing for more than 5 minutes), so you would bring the ecv in line with you. When they see the ecv, the CMs know that you need to use an accessible entrance. You won't need a GAC unless you have other invisible problems that need accomidation (examples would include things like needing to sit in the front row for shows because of visual deficits or needing to sit where you can see an interpretor). Most of the lines are covered, so even if sun is a problem, you would probably not be out in the sun while you are in line.

I agree completely with Sue, do not let ANYONE ride along with you. I have also seen an ECV once go out of control because the person had a child on their lap; luckily they did not hit anyone, but did run into a wall and jarred them both.

Even if you have your own ECV and are used to having a passenger, it can set a bad example and give all ECV users a worse name than we currently have.

BTW, I have never run into anyone accidentally. I have sometimes stopped and let someone who was not paying attention walk into my ECV as I could not avoid hitting them if I continued; I then told them I was stopped and it was completely their fault.

I made quite a splash as I drove my ECV across EPCOT towing my luggage behind (piled it all on the handle part of my wheel-equipped cooler). I was moving from my off-site timeshare condo to check in at the Beach Club Resort on Disney property. Accompanied by Cash, the Wonder Dog, I just rolled verything right up to the registration counter...Lots of smiles.
At home I tow a child's wagon to carry things from one part of the yard to another.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Oh well. I **knew** this probably wouldn't work. I was just hoping there was something out there I was unaware of. Guess I"ll try to talk my sister into coming with us or just take it really really slow (do 3 year olds have a slow speed;) )

Originally posted by Belle1962
Oh well. I **knew** this probably wouldn't work. I was just hoping there was something out there I was unaware of. Guess I"ll try to talk my sister into coming with us or just take it really really slow (do 3 year olds have a slow speed;) )
Why can you not tow the stroller with your DH walking next to it?. As I wrote previously, I tow all manner of things behind my scooter (ECV). You could probably, if you're clever, figure out a way to hitch the stroller next to the ECV. Get the one for home and try it out.....

On our last WDW trip, we saw someone that had an ECV for two!!

He had attached a two wheeled dolly to the back of his ECV and mounted a seat on it.

We asked about his setup and apparently the dolly was built by the ECV manufacturer specifically for this purpose. The seat was just a lightweight fishing chair. The ECV manufacturer also made seats, but they were too heavy for his tastes.

You might want to check into this if you feel your charge would sit still in a chair.

Carol

Thanks. It would only be him and me so I would prefer him in eyesight but if that attachment has a strong seat belt, maybe. I'll ask the rental companies about it. Good news though--this is the impetus for me to get moving.

I would doubt they would let you tow something behind you while in the parks. They don't allow wheeled suitcases or wagons for saftey reasons either.

I have seen someone with a seat attached to the side of their own personal ecv. I doubt that any of the rental places would rent anything that allows someone to be towed behind the ecv.
And, as eeyorefanatic mentioned, they don't allow wagons, so I don't know how they would feel about any other tow-behind thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter