How to make a Very Merry more relaxed?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I took my youngest on a Very Merry over Christmas last December. I hated it. It was difficult to get near the tree much less take pictures, getting photos with the characters in Christmas costumes was impossible because the lines formed thirty minutes before they arrived, something I've never experienced on a cruise. I felt stressed and unhappy the entire time. Partly because I wanted it to be a "perfect" Christmas and it was so far from it.

I have booked another Very Merry for this December, but this time leaving earlier in December and on the Dream (rather than the Magic). Partly I want a "do-over" and partly I want to sail with my daughter on the Dream before she turns 18. How can I lower my expectations to make things more relaxed?

My opinion: Focus on time with your daughter and less on the "stuff". Enjoy the decor, but don't feel the obligation to have to document everything.
Yeah, I'm done buying the photo package. Got a lot out of it in the past but this trip it just made me more anxious trying to get the photos in. This way she can also have more flexibility.

Set some reasonable reachable goals for the trip. What do you really want out of the trip? Write them down. Focus on achieving that which you really want. Check occasionally through the cruise how your doing. If you achieve your list...wow. celebrate and be happy.
Your last trip sounds like you may have been scattered running around and maybe not clear what you really wanted and how to could achieve it. Stay focused this time (hint: maybe what you really want is to enhance your relationship with your daughter. What would those goals look like? Does it really involve losing hours standing in line?)

I took my youngest on a Very Merry over Christmas last December. I hated it. It was difficult to get near the tree much less take pictures, getting photos with the characters in Christmas costumes was impossible because the lines formed thirty minutes before they arrived, something I've never experienced on a cruise. I felt stressed and unhappy the entire time. Partly because I wanted it to be a "perfect" Christmas and it was so far from it.

I have booked another Very Merry for this December, but this time leaving earlier in December and on the Dream (rather than the Magic). Partly I want a "do-over" and partly I want to sail with my daughter on the Dream before she turns 18. How can I lower my expectations to make things more relaxed?
I've often said, "don't try to do everything" on a cruise. It's one of my top 3 things to know about cruising. If you go with the attitude that you're going to do X, Y & Z as well as 1, 2, and 3, and will be disappointed if you can't, you're not going to enjoy anything about the cruise.

It's best to look and see what's available, but pick out the few things that are most important and, if you can add more, that's a plus.

Remember, it's a vacation. You don't have to be go, go, go all the time.

One note, we've always found that the Christmas tree is often not busy the later in the evening you visit it. Like after the last show, or late dining.

We were on the Very Merrytime cruise on the Fantasy 12/23, on the ship Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We did stand in line to take a picture in front of the tree. The line was long but I have to admit, it moved fast and the fact that they were handing out free drinks helped. When my daughter was younger I was so intense on taking pictures. It drove my family a little crazy at WDW waiting in lines for the characters and actually turns out my daughter is not so keen on the characters after all. Don't do memory maker anymore in WDW and don't purchase photo package on DCL. Maybe since you went on the Magic with your youngest and now going on the Dream with your oldest, it will be an easier cruise? On our first DCL cruise I felt we had to do everything and be on a schedule and if we didn't that our cruise wasn't as good as it could be. Approached last cruise differently. I don't feel the need to be on the go every minute of every day. Our last DCL cruise was so much better than our first DCL cruise and our first DCL cruise was concierge. I agree with the other poster, Princess Schmoo), later in the evening there is hardly anyone in the lobby. You can just walk up to the tree and someone will take a picture for you. Even though we stood in that line, we didn't buy the photo. The photographer also took the picture with our phones.

We've done a 5 night Merrytime on the Dream and a 7 night Merrytime on the Fantasy - the 7 night felt considerably more relaxed, where the 5 night felt like people were just constantly running around trying to "cram" everything in. I'm not sure how long the one you went on was / one you've booked is - but I'd go for a longer itinerary if possible!

After our last Merrytime cruise my wife and I both remarked we were worn out. I agree with the poster that stated it could be because almost all of the Merrytime offerings are 4 or 5 nights and it's hard to do everything versus a longer cruise.

We make a goal to catch the fabulous six (is that what they're called? Mickey / Minnie / Goofy / Pluto / Donald / Daisy) each cruise and anything else is gravy to lower our stress level. So maybe talk to your party and see who each person's favorite character is and only target those to help lower the stress level?

Our last Merry Time Cruise was the last weekend in November 2022 on the Fantasy.
Even tho we did not do any pictures the lines did not seam so long.
We were told that the ship was sailing not full so that may have had a part in it.
If that was the case look at going at a time most kids will be in school if your schedule allows for it if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter