• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to make $2000 in 6 months?

Well, in the whole world only three options exist:

- Lower your current expenses: eat all that food at the back of your pantry and freezer, use library resources for your homeschooling, cut out cable, etc.
- Increase your income: with part time jobs off the table, your options include selling stuff on eBay, pet sitting as mentioned above, etc. School students will be out of school for spring break soon, and many parents are scrambling for child care. Could you do a Spring Break Camp for these kids?
- A combination of the two; that is, lower your current expenses AND increase your income.

I enter Sweepstakes as a casual hobby. Occasionally I win stuff that I can sell or small gift cards (10-100). I just last week won skis that I hope to sell for 600-800 once I get them. I won an Xbox last year which I sold. I win tickets to local shows/museums a few times a year. My annual winnings have been 3000-5000 the last three years. Now, this isn’t all cash in pocket, maybe 25-30% of the total. But it’s fun and easy, just keep your expectations low.

It is difficult without taking on another job. I would start decluttering your house had have a yard sale to sell as much items as possible that you no longer need. Eat all meals at home and start meal planning for less expensive meals. Use left overs to make into the next day meals. Most families have items that are never used, or multiples of items that they do not need. I could probably get rid of half the clothes in each person's closet and they would still have enough clothing. Basically, stay home and do not go into stores to do any shopping unless it a necessity and you are shopping off of a list only. I do not know many options in Canada as your options are different than those in the U.S. I know cell phones bills can get quite expensive in Canada. If you have more than one cell phone, maybe look at suspending service and only have one phone. Do you drive your kids to school? Maybe find a carpool to reduce the number of trips you have to make to the school to save on your gas budget? One other options is food banks. Some in our area will allow families to come in once every so many months with no questions asked. So if you have the option to visit a food bank to pick up a few items, it might save a small amount. If you have any subscriptions or memberships, consider cancelling them. For example, gym memberships and you rarely go to the gym. Netflix membership and you barely watch netflix, etc.

One other options is food banks. Some in our area will allow families to come in once every so many months with no questions asked. So if you have the option to visit a food bank to pick up a few items, it might save a small amount.

I think you made a lot of helpful suggestions but this one bothers me! Going to a food bank in order to save money for a trip to Disney? Maybe it’s just me but this doesn’t seem right.

You said your kids have special needs and I don't know whether any of you have food restrictions or special diets to consider, but i find it easy to skimp on food if I need to save some money. I'm also not familiar with food prices in Canada, but here in the states meat is expensive so I cut it out of our diet when money is tight. Eggs are cheap protein and so versatile, you can get away with eating 2 meals per week utilizing eggs as your main source of protein and you've saved a ton of money right there!

Dry beans are great too--my best secret to making it easier to cook with dry beans is to soak/re-hydrate a whole bag of them at the same time in a big stockpot and then freeze them in 2-cup portions in sandwich baggies. When a recipe calls for a can of beans you just grab one of your little frozen bags and dump them in--fast and easy and cheap!

Someone else figured out that you need to save about $60 a week and I'll bet that is do-able just from committing to preparing meatless meals 2-3 days per week and cutting out all fast food. But again, I don't know how your food prices compare to ours here in the States. Is growing your own produce an option? It's easy to work into a homeschool curriculum so you can get help from the kids and you can get a bounty of green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, or zucchini from a $1 packet of seeds and those vegetables are super easy for kids to grow. Assuming you have a nice sunny patch of yard in which to plant.

Check out www.thebalancecareers.com, realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com, ratracerebellion.com, and flexjobs.com (flexjobs requires a monthly membership, but you can get some leads for free by subscribing to their free monthly newsletter) for leads on part-time work from home jobs. I worked from home at a job I absolutely loved after following a lead I found on that first site that I listed. At the time I stayed home with my two kids, I have a son who is on the autism spectrum and my youngest was a toddler and I was still able to find a flex-time job that allowed me to be a full-time mommy and work part-time around my kids' schedules.

Good luck! :)

I think you made a lot of helpful suggestions but this one bothers me! Going to a food bank in order to save money for a trip to Disney? Maybe it’s just me but this doesn’t seem right.

Have to agree with you. The food bank isn't there so folks can save money for a luxury. It is there for people who have no other option to feed their family. To use a food bank just to make saving money easier is abusing a tool that is a lifeline for too many families.

I wasn't posting right or wrong. I was posting a fact that some food banks allow families to come with no questions asked once every so many months.

Have to agree with you. The food bank isn't there so folks can save money for a luxury. It is there for people who have no other option to feed their family. To use a food bank just to make saving money easier is abusing a tool that is a lifeline for too many families.

There are a lot of people who abuse the system. I wasn't posting right or wrong. I was posting a fact. I am not here to debate right or wrong or judge others. Our church gives out food boxes, no questions asked. We see the wife in one car, husband in another. They may even have a teen in a car. Some come through multiple times. It can be blatantly obvious, but we advertise a box to every car that comes though the line between the specified time, no questions asked. Facts are just facts. You make your own decision of what you feel is right or wrong.

There are a lot of people who abuse the system. I wasn't posting right or wrong. I was posting a fact. I am not here to debate right or wrong or judge others. Our church gives out food boxes, no questions asked. We see the wife in one car, husband in another. They may even have a teen in a car. Some come through multiple times. It can be blatantly obvious, but we advertise a box to every car that comes though the line between the specified time, no questions asked. Facts are just facts. You make your own decision of what you feel is right or wrong.

You're fortunate to have a food bank where stock isn't a concern and you can have the kind of policy you do. Not every food bank is that lucky, and while most don't require proof of need, many do have to put hard limits on visits to the food bank because if they didn't they'd run out of supplies to serve the community. In a very difficult time of my life I needed the food bank in order to feed myself and my child...due to limited donations and resources they checked your license and could only provide 1 visit per 2 weeks per address. It's wonderful that your food bank is so blessed, but before you suggest someone use a food bank when they aren't in dire need, understand that your situation isn't the standard.

Lot of good advice here. I like going after the big expenses like getting rid of my car. Saves big money. Sure riding my bicycle to work when it is 35 degrees and raining doesn't work for some but i don't mind it.

Lot of good advice here. I like going after the big expenses like getting rid of my car. Saves big money. Sure riding my bicycle to work when it is 35 degrees and raining doesn't work for some but i don't mind it.

Hehe. It was -30 and dumped 22" of snow here.

You said your kids have special needs and I don't know whether any of you have food restrictions or special diets to consider, but i find it easy to skimp on food if I need to save some money. I'm also not familiar with food prices in Canada, but here in the states meat is expensive so I cut it out of our diet when money is tight. Eggs are cheap protein and so versatile, you can get away with eating 2 meals per week utilizing eggs as your main source of protein and you've saved a ton of money right there!

Dry beans are great too--my best secret to making it easier to cook with dry beans is to soak/re-hydrate a whole bag of them at the same time in a big stockpot and then freeze them in 2-cup portions in sandwich baggies. When a recipe calls for a can of beans you just grab one of your little frozen bags and dump them in--fast and easy and cheap!

Someone else figured out that you need to save about $60 a week and I'll bet that is do-able just from committing to preparing meatless meals 2-3 days per week and cutting out all fast food. But again, I don't know how your food prices compare to ours here in the States. Is growing your own produce an option? It's easy to work into a homeschool curriculum so you can get help from the kids and you can get a bounty of green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, or zucchini from a $1 packet of seeds and those vegetables are super easy for kids to grow. Assuming you have a nice sunny patch of yard in which to plant.

Check out www.thebalancecareers.com, realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com, ratracerebellion.com, and flexjobs.com (flexjobs requires a monthly membership, but you can get some leads for free by subscribing to their free monthly newsletter) for leads on part-time work from home jobs. I worked from home at a job I absolutely loved after following a lead I found on that first site that I listed. At the time I stayed home with my two kids, I have a son who is on the autism spectrum and my youngest was a toddler and I was still able to find a flex-time job that allowed me to be a full-time mommy and work part-time around my kids' schedules.

Good luck! :)

I do think we could easily shave our grocery bill. Prices are brutal here - $8/gallon of milk for example, but we have gotten lazy about not meal planning, running out to get stuff last minute etc ... I also wondered about bulk buying once a month, sale shopping etc... then just buying fresh produce as needed.

I do think we could easily shave our grocery bill. Prices are brutal here - $8/gallon of milk for example, but we have gotten lazy about not meal planning, running out to get stuff last minute etc ... I also wondered about bulk buying once a month, sale shopping etc... then just buying fresh produce as needed.
Powdered milk. Even cheaper. And longer shelf life.
Before you buy in bulk, plan plan plan.

Canadian here
Re: PC shopping....Can you go with $25.00 a week less in groceries?
just an idea
weekly food budget--$125.00,,,,now keep it at $125.00 but only spend $100.00 on food then
drop by Shoppers Drug Mart and buy a $25.00 Disney Gift Card each week.
26 weeks x $25.00 = $650.00
Plus Jump start plan with $125.00 = $775.00 total.

Jump start the plan with buying a $125.00 Gift Card and eat everything in your Pantry for a week.(be creative,,get the kids involved,,soup and sandwiches,eggs for dinner,pancake day.etc)/

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
Re: PC shopping....Can you go with $25.00 a week less in groceries?
just an idea
weekly food budget--$125.00,,,,now keep it at $125.00 but only spend $100.00 on food then
drop by Shoppers Drug Mart and buy a $25.00 Disney Gift Card each week.
26 weeks x $25.00 = $650.00

Hugs
Mel

THIS. Super easy to incorporate and you won't miss it if it's gone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter