how to lessen the amount of $$ spent

bumblebeeRN

Mouseketeer
This past may we went on the disney wonder for 3 days and while it was great and everyone had a great time, it ended up being very pricey since we had included coronado springs for 2 nights and a day at the park.

I ended up spending and charging up almost $700 for charges, because of course my husband cannot drink tap water, so we had to buy bottled water and each one was a little more than a dollar, then he wanted to buy the cooler with water and that was $25 for a cooler with 5 bottles of water, my daughter saw all the little girls dressed up so I had to get her a costume $98, my camera filled up so I had to get a memory stick $34, ..... so many little things added up,
gratuities alone were $304 for their recommended amount of what was to be given to the server, assistant server, head server and then each person in our state room was automaticaly charged gratuities.

This year I will probably take my own bottled water, go to walmart and get costumes for my little girl, and make sure my camera memory is empty, and then just relax and enjoy.

oh by the way, I got the inside state room instead of the room with balcony, this past may I got the room with the balcony because it was the only room available. Now I know better.:rolleyes1

This is the cruise we are on and the things you have mentioned are all good ways to save money. I myself have no problem using an interior room. I love sitting on deck with a good book. We have not taken water on board but have taken other drinks (alcholic beverages) in our carryon baggage. We have also booked some excerions ourselves (when we went to the St Thomas or just spent our time walking around town). We also set a budget for my DGD's they saved money all year (Christmas and birthday gifts included) and that way they were able to buy the things they wanted, they also learned about budgeting for those items. I also set myself a spending budget and checked with geustserves daily to make sure that I wasn't spending too much (my passion is pins and I buy alot of them).
One good thing about a cruise is that you can try all the foods that you have never tried because you might not like them and you can't afford to make that mistake under other conditions, here you can try something and if you don't like it they will bring you something else. This is a great time to get the kids to expand their food likes.
If you wanted you could not have anyother expenses besides tips by not drinking and alcholic drinks, not going on any excersions and not buying any pictures or any thing form the gift shop. Specking of the pictures if you ask the castmembers will take pictures with your camera at the same time as they are taking them with their cameras (that can be a big savings).

This will be the first half of a B2B for us so we will be onboard for 7nights. It will not be quiet as good as sailing for 7nights but after I cancled our WBTA cruise it was the best we could do. Time was our problem I hope that we will be able to do it at a later date. Looking foward to seeing you in September Magie

This past may we went on the disney wonder for 3 days and while it was great and everyone had a great time, it ended up being very pricey since we had included coronado springs for 2 nights and a day at the park.

I ended up spending and charging up almost $700 for charges, because of course my husband cannot drink tap water, so we had to buy bottled water and each one was a little more than a dollar, then he wanted to buy the cooler with water and that was $25 for a cooler with 5 bottles of water, my daughter saw all the little girls dressed up so I had to get her a costume $98, my camera filled up so I had to get a memory stick $34, ..... so many little things added up,
gratuities alone were $304 for their recommended amount of what was to be given to the server, assistant server, head server and then each person in our state room was automaticaly charged gratuities.
This year I will probably take my own bottled water, go to walmart and get costumes for my little girl, and make sure my camera memory is empty, and then just relax and enjoy.

oh by the way, I got the inside state room instead of the room with balcony, this past may I got the room with the balcony because it was the only room available. Now I know better.:rolleyes1
I'm a little confused about this. Why were you automatically charged gratuties in addition to the recommended amount of tips?:confused:

I don't know how you were automatically charged gratuities, they give you a form to fill out with the suggested amounts and then you add that per person in your party and that's how you get the total. This is only a suggested gratuity, you don't have to give the full amount if you don't feel they deserve it. My parents went on a different cruise line and they automatically put it on your bill at the suggested amount. When my dad saw it on the bill he had them remove it and nobody got a gratuity (I felt that was wrong).

Definitely don't buy water on the ship. If you can't bear (literally!) to bring a lot of water bottles in your carryon buy a Brita (or similar brand) filtrating water pitcher and fill it with tap water on the ship each day. You can then use that filtered water to drink.

We brought 5 bottles of wine for our b2b 5 nighters and our own cork screw. We got wine glasses from the bar each day and just drank our own wine. Much cheaper.

You can buy 8gb memory cards from places like Costco and for that same $34 you paid you can get two in a dual pack. 8gb is enough to store over 1k photos so that should help a lot :)

Wait to do any shopping till the end of the cruise. They typically don't run out of things in the stores and I've found I buy less when I am buying it all at once. It's the repeat trips to the stores that kills me! I end up spending less each trip but in the end it adds up big time!

Of course we always end up spending way too much even when we try to be good. ;)

Jim

Just say no. You document about $450 in spending, where did the rest go?

We did the 3 night in December. I shopped around and chose the travel agent with the best obc. He gave us $100, then we got $25 for him booking it online for us, and then we got $50 for using our Disney Visa to pay for the cruise. So total of $175 obc. Not bad for a 3 nighter!:thumbsup2

I had several drinks of the day, dh had a few beers and the kids got a smoothie on one evening. I purchased about $40 worth of stuff at the gift shop and then our tips were added to our account. We didn't do any excursions or spa treatments. I paid my inlaws some cash for half of the picture package they purchased and we split the photos. After the obc was applied we owed $98. I thought that was super cheap since we racked up $700 on our previous 4 night cruise.

It sounds like you paid double the amount in tips. :confused3 Our tips for the 3 night were $144 plus we left some additional cash for our asst server who was wonderful:lovestruc!

I'm sure confused! :confused3 How many people were in your party anyway? I thought the recommended tips added up to $12 per person per night. :confused3 For a typical family of 4 on a 3 night cruise that would be $144, just like the pp said. We also never had any gratuties get charged automatically - I had to go to Guest Services and have them charged. I think you may have miscommunicated or miscalculated something.

We brought a spare carry-on suitcase that we filled with bottled water, beer (in cans), wine and Captain Morgan. It didn't eliminate ALL of our bar tab but it certainly helped.

The water on the ship is distilled from sea water. It is probably cleaner and better for you than most bottled water :rolleyes1

The water on the ship is distilled from sea water. It is probably cleaner and better for you than most bottled water :rolleyes1

I was going to point out the same thing. I know the pshycology is water from a tap is full of chlorine and dirty or disgusting. But the best processed bottle water you can buy is exactly what is flowing out of the sink in your stateroom.

How about bringing a small Brita or Pur water pitcher to keep in your room with a BPA free bottle to refill. You'll be able to cut back a bit on how many bottles to bring with you as well as waste. :thumbsup2

I also have a Disney Visa and am cashing in my reward points to towards stateroom charges and my OBC. I think I'll have about $500 to use for my Sept. trip. Luckily I'm not a souvie or picture buyer cause those definetly add up. I usually buy my kids stuff prior to the cruise and give it to them on the boat.

If you want spa services I think they run specials on port days. We had booked the Rasul on our Castaway Cay day and when we checked in they had a couples massage/facial deal so we added on at a discounted rate.

Can't wait till my trip!

you are wasting your money if you buy bottled water on the ship. there is no need for bottled water on the ship what you do you have your stateroom host bring you ice. than when it starts to melt doesnt take long you have very good and of course very cold water. than you know you dont need bottled water at castaway cay since you already bring there. they try to trick newbies they got me. having bottled water for sale saying you are going to need it. than to find out they have water coolers are over the place.

I ended up spending and charging up almost $700 for charges,

HA that's nothing. We wracked up about $1000 in charges (for only two people)! BUT ;) we had a couples massage in the cabana on CC. Amazing. We brought some of our own alcohol but couldn't pass up buying a bottle of wine at our Palo dinner (and the dinner itself was extra as well, of course). We also ordered some of their delicious specialty martinis and whatnot throughout the few days. And we are coffee snobs so we had to go to Cove Cafe for coffee every morning and not drink the sludge they serve in the dining room. Oh and then there was the Disney Dooney & Bourke purse...the Rainforest package in the spa...and it was all SOOOO worth it. Of course, our motto is--we're on vacation, let's splurge a bit!

I wouldn't feel bad about buying your daughter that expensive princess costume. The Disney versions are much more beautiful and better quality than the ones you get at Target/WalMart...I know because my niece had a couple from those stores and then I went to Disney and bought her their Princess Aurora one for her birthday. Of course it helps that my niece is tiny tiny tiny and still fits in the dress that I bought her nearly a year ago, haha.

But bottled water? Never in a million years would I waste my money on that.And if Disney really did charge you for your gratuities on TOP of you having already paid them, why didn't you say something? I'm sure they would have fixed it...

It's pretty easy to rack up a huge bill. On both our cruises we went to guest services periodically throughout our stay to see where we were in charges. We set a budget ahead of time. On our four day our bill came to a little near $700. On our three day we spend around $450.00(but it was also our bounceback cruise where we got to stay in the same catagory 6 for $750.00)
We called DCL directly and prepaid our shipboard account. And we set a spending limit for ourselves.
On our four day we didn't do any excursions, didn't drink that much, and did get the pictures. On the three day we only bought 2 pictures and had one excursion. I took over 200 pics on my camera. Memory cards can be found cheap online at Bestbuys outlet.
The Cinderella dress and light up shoes we got back home at our local Disney store. You can also find them at the disneyoutlet.com online or used on Ebay.
On our next cruise on the Dream we know we want to do the Dolphin Encounter on Nassau so we are putting aside the money for that. Also I have the printout of my bill so I can see where we went overboard(no pun intended) and curb our expenses.
I sent a box ahead of time to Pop with our FE gifts and necessities in it like sun lotion. You can have a great time without spending a ton of money.
Autogratuities are added to room service and alcoholic beverages. Is that what you mean?

I usually cruise without the whole family - so that saves money! :lmao: My shipboard account is generally pretty small, and gratuities are the single biggest expense. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, bottled water, or soda (for cruise lines that charge), so that saves a LOT of money. I bought the least expensive photo package (~ $85) on my first DCL cruise and split the pics with my mom, but bought no photos on my second DCL cruise. Spa treatments don't interested me at all. For souvenirs - I bought a DCL beach towel and a few pins my first cruise, and a tee-shirt on the second.

My philosophy of travel is that I would rather take two moderately-priced trips than splurge on one expensive one.

DCL does not automatically charge gratuities. If you are on a CM or TA rate, I've been told that you are reqired to pay the standard gratuities at the time of booking, but you're sailing on a much reduced rate and you know that you have that little item already covered. Some TAs will offer packages with the tips "paid," but that is their/your choice and is usually done instead of an onboard credit that other TAs give as a "thanks for booking."

If you are a "normal" rate person like me, there is no way they ever automatically charge the gratuities. You must fill out and sign the form to have them charged. And, as above, the tips on a 3 night would be $36 per person....I have NO idea how you could get $304 for tips.

There is an auto-gratuity added to any bar item (this includes bottled water, candy in boxes from Preludes or outside a movie theater, smoothies, etc). You can choose to add extra to those tabs, but the 15% is automatic. Maybe you are adding all of those to whatever tips you authorized to get to $304.

I agree with the above--just say no. There is no reason to do bottled water on the ship. You could have saved big time by renting a car one way to drive to the port (instead of DCL bus) and stopping at a Walmart or grocery store for a case of water if DH wouldn't drink the ship's water (which is very good). $98 for a princess dress--we all like to indulge our children, but I look at the Disney store on the day after Halloween, or usually made my own. Memory stick--probably would have been 1/2 the cost at Best Buy before sailing, or bring a laptop to download photos.

We are doing the 4 nighter in December, and I would like to keep the cost down as well...

But there are 5 of us in a cat. 4, so if we only spend $700, I will be happy!

To cut costs on a cruise ship: avoid Bingo; do not patronize the bars; limit use of child care facilities; do not purchase water or pop on the ship--use the free pop available on deck 9 (?) and at meals; do not purchase shore excursions through Disney; and, to paraphrase a certain podcast host, "Stay out of the d--n shops!"

we're cruising disney for the first time, and are wondering if we can still have alot of fun without doing any excursions? are there things to do onboard when the ship is in port??

we're cruising disney for the first time, and are wondering if we can still have alot of fun without doing any excursions? are there things to do onboard when the ship is in port??

I would say to maybe pick one excursion (not thru Disney if you wanna save money)... Or at least leave the boat and walk around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter