How to get the best price on a rental

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
I am new to vacation car rentals. Next summer we are traveling out west and I need to rent a car (or preferably a minivan) for two weeks. How do I go about getting the best price? I looked the other night and most rental companies are quoting about $2000 for two weeks? Is that what I should expect to pay or can I do better? Also, most sites mention a promo code when checking prices. I'm assuming that gets you a better price. Any idea how to get a code?

Thanks for any help!

I've usually used Hertz, but my last couple trips, I've gone to hotwire to look for hot rate deals. Can usually get a good rate that way. Also, if you plan to drop off somewhere other than the pickup location, they charge extra for that, in case you weren't aware.

www.autoslash.com They will check all of the publicly available discounts and give you a list of what companies are charging what. Then you can go back and have them track the reservation, they will tell you if they find a better price. I use it for every trip that I need a rental car for. Over the last 3 years they've saved me over $4,000.

I would never use any of the no-name rental companies even if it LOOKS like they are cheaper. Many run shady operations and add on a lot of extra nonsense fees. Some cut rate companies ask to actually see your insurance policy at their counter to avoid the extra daily 'insurance' fee. What person ever carries their car insurance policy with them? That is one typical example. Always return the vehicle with a full tank of gas to avoid excessive refueling charges.

Rental prices have been very high lately due to the whole covid situation and rental companies trying to balance supply/demand. I would imagine by next summer, more of that will be behind us.

Costco and AAA can have good discounted rates if you are a member. I also like https://carrentalsavers.com/ for built in coupons and discounts. Booking a non prepaid rate and checking back regularly is also good advice. Sometimes slight modification of drop off and pick up times can reduce prices too.

If possible, look at non-airport locations. In many places, picking up or dropping off at an airport has extra fees.

Great advice here. I will just add that I sometimes find great codes at mousesavers.com and you should beware of toll transponder fees. I'm not sure what you will encounter out west, but I uaually travel with my own EZPass and decline the car rental company's toll transponder.

Great information, everyone! Thank you!

My husband asked at work and they gave him a corporate code to use for Enterprise. I checked and the code saves us over $600! Is $1500 for two weeks with unlimited miles good or can I do better? I’m thinking of booking it so I have something, but continue to shop around.

I would book that rental through Enterprise, then have Autoslash monitor it. I don't know what type of vehicle but I've got a midsize in Orlando in January for $350/week. I had one last month for less than $300 and got a Chevy Equinox.

Another vote for Autoslash. You might also check the price in other cities if you are going to be putting any real miles on the car. We usually make a trip to CO every winter and cars are CRAZY expensive in Denver - but not Colorado Springs. We rent a cheap car in Denver, then trade it in Colorado Springs. That has saved us over $1000 for a week in the past. We are doing something similar over Thanksgiving. We live in So Cal, but we are driving up to Santa Barbara to pick up DS19. Cars are MUCH less expensive in Santa Barbara so we are driving our personal car there, then renting a larger car for the drive to the Bay Area. That is going to save us $400, same car, same rental period.

One caution I would offer -- if you will be returning the car at a different location, be very careful in comparing rates. A couple of years ago, out west also, I had drop-off rates vary from $0 to $800 extra.

Also be aware of what vehicles are being offered. Sometimes one company's "mid-size" is another company's "compact." With minivans, check SUVs will similar carrying capacities. Sometimes minivans are priced lower than SUVs, sometimes higher.

There are lots of variables, and the devil is in the details.

Good luck and have a great trip!

One caution I would offer -- if you will be returning the car at a different location, be very careful in comparing rates. A couple of years ago, out west also, I had drop-off rates vary from $0 to $800 extra.

Also be aware of what vehicles are being offered. Sometimes one company's "mid-size" is another company's "compact." With minivans, check SUVs will similar carrying capacities. Sometimes minivans are priced lower than SUVs, sometimes higher.

There are lots of variables, and the devil is in the details.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Good tips, thank you! We will be returning our rental to the same airport. You are all so knowledgeable and I appreciate it!

Since you can cancel most car reservations without penalty I make a reservation and keep checking. I usually cancel.make several before the trip. $2000 is pretty high.
This is what we have done for years and worked well. This last year, the earlier I reserved, the cheaper it was. Never did see prices go down. A car I have reserved for April at 350 is now 700 for the week.

Pray? I haven't found any way to see the prices drop like they used to the closer you got to you rental In the last 2 years, the prices have only gone up. The earlier you rent, the cheaper it is. Hoping that will change soon.

Check your auto insurance. Many of us decline all the collission waivers offered. Virtually all the options should get declined. Pre-paid gas, gps etc
That helps keep the total price down, but doesn't help with the very high base prices. Some have said using a Costco discount has helped.
Haven't tried Autoslash, but others report it working.
I would be leery of using unknown rental agencies.

That helps keep the total price down, but doesn't help with the very high base prices. Some have said using a Costco discount has helped.
Haven't tried Autoslash, but others report it working.
I would be leery of using unknown rental agencies.
Costco generally has the lowest, or close to, the lowest legit price. COSTCO includes an extra driver. OP is taking a 2 week trip. Cost for an extra driver can add up.

I typically use Costco and seem to get price. Xtra driver included. Agree to ck with ur ins carrier and waive /decline all the Xtra stuff esp GAS.. take pix of ur rental in pick up and when u exit have them note ANY damage/scratch on ur receipt. Then, no unwelcome surprises upon return.
safe travels and enjoy!

Costco generally has the lowest, or close to, the lowest legit price. COSTCO includes an extra driver. OP is taking a 2 week trip. Cost for an extra driver can add up.
Now if we only had a Costco near us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter