• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to get pre-boarding on airlines?

The first time I booked a flight, they had us all together preboarding with disability seating. This time they said only one other person can preboard with my son with disability seats. I tried two different agents who said the same thing. Dh is assigned several rows behind. Here's hoping DS doesn't flip out that his dad is sitting separately. I will try to prepare him beforehand.

I'm not sure what you mean by disability seats. What airline is this and what are they?

Is there a reason you can't change your husband's seat assignment? If he can't be seated closer, you and Dad can always takes turns switching off during the flight so your son has a chance to sit next to each of you.

I'm not sure what you mean by disability seats. What airline is this and what are they?

Is there a reason you can't change your husband's seat assignment? If he can't be seated closer, you and Dad can always takes turns switching off during the flight so your son has a chance to sit next to each of you.

JetBlue- they provide seating for those with disabilities in rows 1 and 6. It's a pretty full flight and closest available seat was I think several rows back. That's a good suggestion. It's only a two hour flight so hopefully he will be ok.

JetBlue- they provide seating for those with disabilities in rows 1 and 6. It's a pretty full flight and closest available seat was I think several rows back. That's a good suggestion. It's only a two hour flight so hopefully he will be ok.

On Jetblue 1-6 is generally extra leg room seats that people pay to sit it. I would not expect them to be available for people with a disability with paying the fees.

We will be flying with DS (autistic) and would like to know how we get pre-Boarding for him and how it works? It will be DS, DH and I. We will be flying US Airways on the way to Orlando and Southwest on the way back home.

Just a heads up, JetBlue has autistic friendly procedures, such as silent boarding where they will come find you and board you before any announcements are made for your flight.

On Jetblue 1-6 is generally extra leg room seats that people pay to sit it. I would not expect them to be available for people with a disability with paying the fees.
Actually, JetBlue reserves the first row on the right side of the plane for guests with disabilities, they will extend this to the left side if there are enough people with disabilities to require this. You do not need to pay the extra fee for this row either. You do need to not select your seats and call JetBlue to arrange for this row to be used.

Anyone have experience with JetBlue? They are only letting one person board with my son. We're only a party of three.. Wish they would make an exception.
That is the official rule, but generally you will find that once you arrive they will be more accommodating.

Actually, JetBlue reserves the first row on the right side of the plane for guests with disabilities, they will extend this to the left side if there are enough people with disabilities to require this. You do not need to pay the extra fee for this row either. You do need to not select your seats and call JetBlue to arrange for this row to be used.

The first row, not the entire extra legroom section. And that's pretty typical of most airlines with assigned seating.

One thing to remember is that the first row is usually considered the bulkhead, which does not have a tray table and during takeoff and landing ALL carry on items must be in the overhead bins.

For this reason, my DD does not like the "disability" seating. Also if you or your person with the disability is ambulatory, those who are wheelchair bound, or with limited mobility have first priority on those seats.

Because of the issue of ALL carry on items in the overhead bins, my DD doesn't like those seats. She likes to have her carry on bag (personal item) under the seat in front of her where she isn't dependent on someone getting it for her (flight attendant if the fasten seatbelt light is on). She likes to change out her word search for her electronics just as soon as they announce.

In addition to the first row, JetBlue also reserves the sixth row right side for people with disabilities.. They gave us a choice between first and sixth- went with sixth so that DH is within a more reasonable visible distance from my son.

In addition to the first row, JetBlue also reserves the sixth row right side for people with disabilities.. They gave us a choice between first and sixth- went with sixth so that DH is within a more reasonable visible distance from my son.
Not on all flights. Dh and I have flown in the row many times, choosing seats before hand.

As a wheelchair user, I've only ever been traveling with people on Southwest or an airline that has since been swallowed by a larger airline (Northwest). I've never flown with more than 2 other people.

I've found that in general, Southwest will let me pre-board with both the other people. I don't know how much of that is because I *am* a wheelchair user and it can take me a bit to get settled. Having both with me means the less assistance the flight attendants have to give. That said, it often depends on how many other people are there who require pre-boarding. If there are 5+ folks with obvious mobility issues, they're far less likely to let more than 1 additional person per-party preboard. I don't know if it's because I'm first on 90% of the time, but I honestly haven't noticed when it comes to pre-boarders without mobility impairments how many people in a single party pre-board. I'd think those might actually be a bit more flexible with numbers on something like Southwest because they won't necessarily all want to be closer to the front.

One thing to remember is that the first row is usually considered the bulkhead, which does not have a tray table and during takeoff and landing ALL carry on items must be in the overhead bins.

Because of the issue of ALL carry on items in the overhead bins, my DD doesn't like those seats. She likes to have her carry on bag (personal item) under the seat in front of her where she isn't dependent on someone getting it for her (flight attendant if the fasten seatbelt light is on). She likes to change out her word search for her electronics just as soon as they announce.

I'm mobility impaired and agree with your DD. I got stuck in bulkhead once and was miserable. Since at least half the time I'm flying solo, it can get even more frustrating.

I do want to mention that these days there isn't a restriction on using any small electronics (mp3 players, tablets, e-readers, etc.). Laptops have to be stored during take-off/landing, but the rest can be used at any time. Cell phones in airplane mode count along with the small electronics.

For this reason, my DD does not like the "disability" seating. Also if you or your person with the disability is ambulatory, those who are wheelchair bound, or with limited mobility have first priority on those seats.

1. Bulkhead seats do have tray tables. They are in the armrests (same for exit rows).

2. You have been able to use electronics on domestic flights during take off and landing for almost a year (excluding heavy items, such as laptops).

Bulkhead seats do have tray tables. They are in the armrests (same for exit rows).
On Southwest only the -800s have tray tables in the armrest for the 1st row. On all of our other aircraft there are no tray tables for the 1st row. On all are aircraft the tray tables for the exit row lower from the seat back, again no tray tables in the armrest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter