How to get picked for wand choosing ceremony?

Thanks so much guys! I REALLY want to be picked!! I'll def be buying a slytherin scarf so hopefully that will help :-) ill try to look super excited.. Wont be too hard! What kind of would annoy me is if they constantly pick little kids. Because they most likely don't appreciate I as much as us college age kids do.. We grew up reading those books..camping out at midnight waiting for the next one to be realased.. I understand picking kids for other stuff at the park but I don't think they'd appreciate the ollivander's experience as much as someone my age who's read all the books would!

Err. I hope you do get picked, because you're so very excited about it, but please don't downplay the excitement of the kids. My 7-year-old has been reading his way through the books with me, dressed as Draco for Halloween last year, has made about 12 wands himself with paper and glitter glue, and is breathless with anticipation he might be picked. Much of this trip is because of how much he loves all things Harry Potter.

I have been picked 3 times and I'm an adult male not wearing anything HP. I had to go through 4 times in a row for my son to get picked.

My son is cute and energetic and he has been picked 2 of the 3 times we have seen the show. I don't know if it was coincidence or what.

I have heard a rumor that if you are wearing a birthday button, you stand a strong chance of being picked.

Go late evening if you can. Last time we did it was just before closing and literally a few people in the room. They chose both girls there inc my DD.

My Dd has been picked 2 out of 3 times we have done it (yes we bought both wands!) . My guess is she is the right sort of age almost 9 and almost 10. She had her robe on both times plus grffindor lanyard (and they do use the visual clues ..saying something like come forward young gryffindor). She had her hair down and wavy and does look like Hermione all dressed up. We also politely chatted to a cm at the door one time whilst waiting, maybe the gauge if you speak english.

My Dd isn't a loud pushy type I think being all 'pick me' would backfire. It's not always a child picked. I don't think they choose the very little ones as they need to interact and may get upset when people laugh at the spells going wrong.

If you really want to be picked keep trying.

I get picked a lot... I'm not sure why! :) I'm in my 40's, female, usually not wearing anything special other than a Hufflepuff lanyard. I usually try to pass the honor to someone else, as I already have my wand.

The first time, I dragged my daughter up with me, but Ollivander said I couldn't bring my entire family. So then we had to come back about six more times before they finally had pity on us and my son got picked (I'd actually resorted to loudly announcing how many times in a row we'd been through the line, whenever we got close to a TM!).

Another time, Ollivander skipped over a VERY enthusiastic, overly-dramatic, adult gentleman in order to choose me. When I pointed to the fellow who wanted it so bad, and said, "I think you mean him," Ollivander kind of sighed and looked resigned. Meanwhile, the fellow who wanted so bad to be picked was jumping up and down, flapping his hands and squealing like a small child. I felt a little bad for Ollivander, but on the other hand, Very Special Individuals deserve to have a nice time, too.

I think Ollivander tries to pick people he thinks will play along without going too overboard and ruining the show. I've seen him choose young kids sometimes, only to get one that goes mute and can't squeak out any answers to his questions, so I expect that's why he picks a range of ages and types.

Making eye contact with Ollivander and trying to look friendly might help?

My 13 year old was picked when we went in February. She wasn't all decked out, but did have a hp shirt from kohls or something on. But she was absolutely quivering with excitement. She actually said, "I can't stop smiling, I can't believe I am really here!" It was all very genuine, she cried on the plane ride down just because she was going to wwohp. She was chosen before we entered the room, I could tell. She and the girl in front of us (around 8) were both wearing birthday buttons (for my DD, the trip was her birthday gift) and when the TM separated us, I was hopeful. We were told specifically where to stand by two different TMs. When she came down the stairs and chose my DD I was afraid she would fall over, seriously. It was the moment of a lifetime for her.

We never went back in to see how people were chosen in other groups, it would have ruined the magic of it all for my DD.

We went in first thing on our first day. Waited about 15 minutes in line. And I bought the wand, there was no discount.

I was, unfortunately, picked when we were there in February. I'm a woman in my late 30's, with no HP souvenirs/accessories/etc. I was actually a terrible choice, as I am not outgoing and added nothing to the "show". All three people who were with me (and probably anyone else in the room) would have been better choices.

If you don't get picked the first time, go right back in line. It helps if you can get in the very next group so it's more obvious that you're really eager to get picked. That's how my DD was picked.

First things first, the person you meet while doing the experience is a Wand Keeper, not Ollivander himself. The Wand Keepers help run the shop with their assistants while Ollivander is away.

Secondly, there is no "strategy" to being chosen and it has nothing to do with where you stand or what you say. If you act obnoxious to try to be noticed, your chances are going to be even slimmer. It's simply whoever the Wandkeeper senses the most magic from. So no, complaining to wand assistants about how many times you've been through the line won't affect your chances.

Also, Harry was 11 when his wand chose him, so expect that whoever is chosen in the wand experience will be at least 11 years old (they're not always children though, since as many adults are chosen as children). So if you're going through the experience with your 5 year old many times wondering why she still isn't being chosen, that's probably why. There are exceptions occasionally, but that's how it typically works in the wizarding world.

If you're super eager to have your own wand but don't get selected, in the merchandise shop a team member can help you select a wand that's associated with an important day in your life (such as a birthday, anniversary, etc). So it's still possible to get "your" wand even if you're not chosen for the experience.

Just keep in mind that being polite will get you far. If you do choose to do the experience multiple times, be nice to the wand keepers and assistants and don't get angry with them or blame them for why so and so wasn't chosen.

First things first, the person you meet while doing the experience is a Wand Keeper, not Ollivander himself. The Wand Keepers help run the shop with their assistants while Ollivander is away.

Secondly, there is no "strategy" to being chosen and it has nothing to do with where you stand or what you say. If you act obnoxious to try to be noticed, your chances are going to be even slimmer. It's simply whoever the Wandkeeper senses the most magic from. So no, complaining to wand assistants about how many times you've been through the line won't affect your chances.

Also, Harry was 11 when his wand chose him, so expect that whoever is chosen in the wand experience will be at least 11 years old (they're not always children though, since as many adults are chosen as children). So if you're going through the experience with your 5 year old many times wondering why she still isn't being chosen, that's probably why. There are exceptions occasionally, but that's how it typically works in the wizarding world.

If you're super eager to have your own wand but don't get selected, in the merchandise shop a team member can help you select a wand that's associated with an important day in your life (such as a birthday, anniversary, etc). So it's still possible to get "your" wand even if you're not chosen for the experience.

Just keep in mind that being polite will get you far. If you do choose to do the experience multiple times, be nice to the wand keepers and assistants and don't get angry with them or blame them for why so and so wasn't chosen.

Except in our case, when the wand assistant said, "If you come through one more time, you might get lucky." And he winked. And we went through one more time. And my son finally got his wand.

Not that I was complaining directly to the assistant. Or demanding anything. It was more along the lines of just commenting to my son in his presence, "Wow, this must be our sixth time through!" and then grinning at the assistant and saying, "Hello, again!"

It was kind of cool seeing all the variations of the show. And I've definitely seen children much younger than 11 chosen - about as often as anyone else of any other age, as far as I can tell.

Except in our case, when the wand assistant said, "If you come through one more time, you might get lucky." And he winked. And we went through one more time. And my son finally got his wand.

Not that I was complaining directly to the assistant. Or demanding anything. It was more along the lines of just commenting to my son in his presence, "Wow, this must be our sixth time through!" and then grinning at the assistant and saying, "Hello, again!"

It was kind of cool seeing all the variations of the show. And I've definitely seen children much younger than 11 chosen - about as often as anyone else of any other age, as far as I can tell.

I didn't mean to say one person in particular on here was being rude, it just happens A LOT. People think that if they yell enough they can get their way. It was the assistants error to suggest that because had you gone through again and not been chosen it would have added disappointment. Fortunately things worked out for you but I just didn't want others who may be reading this to get the wrong idea.

And yeah like I said before sometimes there are exceptions where younger children will be chosen but the general rule is that they have to be over eleven.

I definitely see kids in the age range of about 7-10 being chosen most often. In my experience, it doesn't seem that they make any effort to adhere to HP canon in terms of age. :-)

For the most part they do (that's what they're supposed to at least). I just don't want people getting their hopes up because of the few exceptions where younger ones are chosen. I've seen many times where younger kids have gone through countless times but weren't chosen because they're too young.

My 18 year old DD was picked a few years ago. While she enjoyed the experience, I think she felt bad that they hadn't chosen someone younger. We were first in line (hadn't made it into the previous show).

Our 11 year old son was chosen last year. He was super excited, it was our first time. He was not wearing any HP gear, but he did have a haircut similar to HP and he was the same age-so maybe?? He was also standing in the middle of the front row. Our 6 year old son was very disappointed that he was not chosen and as best as he could he tried to contain it, but his little eyes started to tear up. The TM saw him in the store and asked what was wrong. Our son told him and the TM said sometimes the wand keeper has special appointments for very special wizards. He then knocked on the door and my little one had a private appointment with the wand keeper. He was thrilled-it was a special magical moment!

I totally agree. I have a 6 year old and 9 year old at home that use chopsticks or anything else they can find for wands and are constantly playing 'Harry Potter'. They know all the spells and the movies by heart.

:)

Our two youngest kids do this. One is special needs, but Harry Potter really engages him. Our two oldest kids used to play Quidditch in the alley on brooms. Oldest DD (now 22) was part of a world wide Harry Potter role play site- Dark Mark- a spin off of the site Veritaserum from the age of 12. So yeah-- kids can totally be into it. Oldest Daughter is still friends with folks from the site, even though it isn't around now. And it inspired her to start her own role play site (at 14-- Moonlight Destiny-- a Sailor Moon role play that had 100s of people on it).

Err. I hope you do get picked, because you're so very excited about it, but please don't downplay the excitement of the kids. My 7-year-old has been reading his way through the books with me, dressed as Draco for Halloween last year, has made about 12 wands himself with paper and glitter glue, and is breathless with anticipation he might be picked. Much of this trip is because of how much he loves all things Harry Potter.
Our youngest daughter is forever making wands (and helping her special needs brother to do the same), clothing, other gear, etc. And she has finally embraced her Slytherin nature-- after she was sorted into the house (along with me-- adoptive mom, Older adoptive brother, and other adopted sibling-- also from China special needs, but from a different part of the country and so much more special needs-- dad and Older adoptive -- to us bio born- sister tested Gryffindor.) And she was sorted Slytherin on a lot of facebook quizzes, and twice on Pottermore-- and to show she's really a Slytherin-- she wanted to be a Hufflepuff (she has a thing for Cedric), so she "lost/forgot" her Pottermore password after she was sorted into Slytherin so she could re-register and re-sort-- knowing she should answer the questions less than honestly to get into Hufflepuff. Yeah. Slytherin.

Would recommend going in the morning (or during the evening) and going to the one in Diagon Alley. Interesting story, as my friend and I were both picked as the Ollivanders in Diagon Alley was empty. Left for Hogsmeade and it still had a line. People still forget or don't know that there's two now.

You should be able to pay extra for the experience, I'm planning on going to universal Studios Hollywood for my 40th birthday and I really want the wand ceremony. Lol:duck:

Definitely go later in the evening, within an hour or so of park closing. Lines are short to non-existent then. Granddaughters each bought wands early in the day, then went to the ceremony again, and again, and again later in the evening until each was eventually chosen. The wand that was "chosen" for them at the ceremony in both cases was different than what they had originally purchased earlier in the day, but the wand store will exchange wands for you if you have the receipt and original packaging, which they did.

When we went two cute little sisters were chosen. They were so adorable. When the first one tried her wand and one of the effects happened she exclaimed " it really is magic!" It was so cute!

I would love to be picked next time we go. I am such an HP nerd!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter