How to get excited, or should we cancel?

Raya

DIS Veteran
Our trip in August was perfectly planned, with every dining reservation we wanted, etc. etc. and then the hurricane hit. The days that weren't storming were brutally hot. Then we got sick. Arguably our worst trip. None of the problems were Disney's fault.

We scheduled a new trip for the end of this month, but no one is excited. I've heard worries about another hurricane, getting sick again, crowds, etc. How can I get the family excited about the trip? There's nothing new since August (at least nothing announced yet, I'm holding out hope) and watching YouTube videos has only helped a little. Should I just cancel? It's a lot of money if no one really wants to go, but then again, if we don't "get back on the horse" we might never make it back, which would break my heart. How do you know when to cancel?

It is a big trip (well at least it is for most families, cost and time considered). I wouldn't go on any trip anywhere if we weren't at least pretty excited as a family. Disney or anyplace.
I'm not excited about going to work, but I do it because I have to! I wouldn't want a vacation to feel that way!
Maybe the timing is just a bit off; maybe just postpone a bit longer and you'll get the itch again and family will look forward to going?

I agree - it might just be too fresh still. Give it a little longer until people aren't remembering so clearly the bad parts and can get excited for a fresh trip.

If neither of us were excited I would cancel. We were there the same time as you and are already wishing we could go back! If you’re not feeling that, I’d give it more time. Possibly try something else right now then see how you feel about going back a different time?

We were there the same time as you in August and had a wonderful time. So maybe it's just time for a different trip? If no one actually wants to go, then I say postpone for a different time of year.

In our case, we knew the hurricane was a possibility and while it did downpour many times, it wasn't more than a heavy thunderstorm from where we live. We just embraced the emptiness of MK and had to blow dry our shoes. We also have been there many times so we knew if something didn't happen, we would be back the next time.

You gotta be happy so do what's best for your family.

I took a trip in June of last year that was really rough due to family dynamics. I came home not wanting to go again for awhile. I was burned out. The desire to return came back a couple of months ago so I booked a trip for the end of February. Sometimes you just need to wait it out. Try rescheduling for a different time of the year. Maybe when a festival is going on to give you something new within WDW to be excited about.

A lot of downers in this group, myself and both my son's never get excited for the trip until I'm actually there. There's just to much going on during normal life for me to think about or get excited about vacation. However when we actually get there everyone is happy to be there.

Me and my kids
1696528343166.png

My wife

1696528397900.png

We went in January this year, and I got covid. I was miserable for the last half of our trip. We planned a trip for my birthday but I didn’t really get excited about it until a few weeks ahead of time. It was hard to feel excited again. We’re here now and having a blast, but if I wasn’t feeling excited with a few weeks to go, I would’ve canceled. The heat is still pretty miserable though, if you aren’t used to it. If heat was a big issue on your trip, maybe postpone until a cooler month.

Honestly? I would cancel and give yourselves some more breathing room between that last trip and the new one. I think so much of these trips being "worth" it for us is the anticipation and joy of planning leading up to it, and not looking forward to it would be a sign that it's not the right time. I have definitely, definitely felt like that after some of our trips but with enough time (usually sooner than later lol) I'll get back into the "can't wait!" mode.

Disney is in August vs November is way different. Decorations ,party .....I would go but plan differently. ? Hoop Dee doo, more resort days, take a day for universal? But I would go....need to erase that last trip !

We went last year in Mid-October and met up with another couple who we are friends with. They are DVC members and go usually a couple of times a year. We really enjoyed their company. We did the MNSSHP for the first time ever. It made the whole trip worthwhile.

The cooler fall weather will make the trip much more pleasant. I can relate to your misery with the August heat this year. It was no fun anywhere in the South. I've lived in the region all my life and have never gotten "used to it."

Ask the fam "Would you rather reschedule this trip for another time?" You'll know pretty quickly which way the wind is blowing.

100% I would cancel. It would be worse going and everything expected to be bad .. happen .. and it be a miserable trip. It is too much money to throw away if you aren't excited. I think too often it ends up happening as we have manifested it. Then what ? they never want to go back ever again.

In 2019 after 13 years of DS#1 and I having APs I let them expire. I was completely burned out on the bad behavior of other guests. Knowing I couldn't change what will inevitably happen I opted to take a break. I booked whole family to Disneyland. COVID happened and cancelled our trip. So by time we returned in 2021 we were excited again and ready to enjoy even the little bumps. 2019 we had hit that enjoyment roadblock.

Take a break. Let things settle and maybe next year or the next you'll all be excited about going again.

One year I became very sick with a fever and ear infection during a very rainy and hot August trip. Tried to make the best of it but was uncomfortable and in a foggy stupor. The parks were not fun with a crazy amount of ride closures. Going in and out of rain, 99% humidity and AC probably made me sicker. The room at Coronado was fine day 1 but smelled moldier by the day, did not help. After we came home DH decided to book another quick trip and we went early November. The weather turned out absolutely gorgeous. We had a blast with the do-over.

It’s always some roll of the dice with weather, sickness, etc. Still the odds are more in your favor with the fall trip.

We unexpectedly went twice this year, but already had 12 nights of DVC points rented so we have to go next month.

DD turns 12 that week and she's more excited for her birthday than Disney! I've loaded our trip with MK and EP fireworks cruises, Christmas party, spa day, SeaWorld VIP, fishing for DH...that has helped a little, but we've all decided we need a long break after this one. I'd cancel if I could.

You can have too much of a good thing. I'd consider planning something else that is fresh. The hard part is finding the "else".

Was also there in August at the same time and we are going after Thanksgiving. Looking forward to it largely because we always try to do something different (whether park focused, ADRs, travel companions, or other activities). Our focus on this trip will be on the Holidays - so looking forward to the shift from Halloween to Christmas. We also have a trip planned with the family in January and Marathon weekend - so our cadence is likely different from others along with our purpose for going.

That said, our excitement starts as soon as we get on the road - but it’s something that happens organically and not forced. Regardless of reasons we get psyched about a trip to WDW - it’s never seems fake and can’t imagine going any other way.

Best of luck on your decision!

Our trip in August was perfectly planned, with every dining reservation we wanted, etc. etc. and then the hurricane hit. The days that weren't storming were brutally hot. Then we got sick. Arguably our worst trip. None of the problems were Disney's fault.

We scheduled a new trip for the end of this month, but no one is excited. I've heard worries about another hurricane, getting sick again, crowds, etc. How can I get the family excited about the trip? There's nothing new since August (at least nothing announced yet, I'm holding out hope) and watching YouTube videos has only helped a little. Should I just cancel? It's a lot of money if no one really wants to go, but then again, if we don't "get back on the horse" we might never make it back, which would break my heart. How do you know when to cancel?
Depends on when you might go again if you cancel. Disney is not easy or relaxed. It takes work, so we have found everyone needs to be pretty jacked-up about it. We go enough that if I were in your shoes, I would cancel. Let the excitement build again for trip in a year or two.

Sounds like a good time for a family meeting.
I‘d have everyone express their thoughts on returning, or spending the money on somewhere else. If somewhere else has the majority vote then I’d cancel and start making trip plans for wherever everyone decides to go.
Good luck :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter