How to: FISH for Lightning Lane Experience Passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should we do? Indy is broken down while we are waiting in the lightning lane. Should we expect another lightning lane? We paid for Rise of Resistance LL and are due to be in that line in about an hour? We paid for those, so I don’t want to miss them.

What should we do? Indy is broken down while we are waiting in the lightning lane. Should we expect another lightning lane? We paid for Rise of Resistance LL and are due to be in that line in about an hour? We paid for those, so I don’t want to miss them.
You should be able to leave the line and ask for your LL (MEP) back.

Tried this yesterday morning. Grabbed Indy for 8:05 after entering around 7:45. When the park opened, every ride was open but BTMR. Cancelled and switched to that for 8:15 and it conceded right at 8:10 I think. I grabbed another for 8:30 (I think) but it seemed to open right before that and didn’t convert. Everything else was open in DL so I ended up going back to Indy for 9:45-ish? We had roped dropped Space and then hit Matterhorn and decided to do Jungle Cruise and just do Indy if it stayed open. Well, literally a few minutes before our return to Indy, it closed so we had two MSEP (one gold tier, one not) which helped out through the rest of the day. At that point, with us going to CA later and then coming back to DL, didn’t really need / want anymore MEPs anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

I was never able to successfully fish for any passes, but a couple times we had a ride go down that we were planning to ride with a LL. The time we had a LL for Indy, it broke down and we got a MEP, which we later used on Indy when it came back up. Then the pass was still in my app even after going on it. So we used it again on another ride. Then it disappeared. That's the only time the MEP worked for multiple rides, but that was pretty cool.

I was never able to successfully fish for any passes, but a couple times we had a ride go down that we were planning to ride with a LL. The time we had a LL for Indy, it broke down and we got a MEP, which we later used on Indy when it came back up. Then the pass was still in my app even after going on it. So we used it again on another ride. Then it disappeared. That's the only time the MEP worked for multiple rides, but that was pretty cool.
This happens a lot with ME passes. They don't always clear out after using them.

UPDATE from 6/19
Entered park before rope drop booked Indy LL with return time 805-905.
Park opened and by 815am Indy broke down. LL did not switch MEP.
At 840am the ride came back up and I then got my MEP.
Never seen that happen before.

Shortly after that Mansion went down, was able to get a quick return time and MEP worked as normal. Actually got MEP 5 minutes before posted wait time.

UPDATE from 6/19

Shortly after that Mansion went down, was able to get a quick return time and MEP worked as normal. Actually got MEP 5 minutes before posted wait time.
This happened to us last night on Big Thunder. The ride went down and we didn't get the MEP until like 25 minutes later, which we tried to use on Alice at 8:20 and were turned away because the line was "closed for fireworks." It was kind of frustrating.

Matterhorn closed during our ride time so now we have 4 lower tier and 1 golden tier set of MEPs. The first set of lower-tier MEPs we got at opening at 8am for GRR seem to be Eternal over at DL. We have used them at Splash, Autopia and IASM and they don’t disappear. I don’t think we are going to use these up tonight.

UPDATE from 6/19

Additional Update from 6/19
- The Gold Tier passes I received from Indy and Matterhorn being down, never went away after using them when we used them on Matterhorn and Indy. I could also get a regular LL for Matterhorn or Indy if I wanted too.

- We used our Mid Tier pass for Buzz, already used LL before and it disappeared after use.

- Overall this was a rough day at the park. Almost everything we were trying to use LL for or just want to use Stand By broke down as we were about to head to the attraction.

Last edited:
Tried this at DL on Wed with no luck. On Fri at CA picked GRR at opening when it was down for 8:30 and it converted. Grabbed another one for 8:45 but it opened right before. Late afternoon grabbed a Big Thunder LL when it was down and it converted. Noted that they didn’t seem to clear and were able to use multiple times.

Also had very good luck with refreshing for 5-10 minutes to get a LL within an hour or two even when they were hours out.

Quick Update 7/5
Did not have much lucky getting a MEP during the day, BUT keep an eye on Splash Mountain. They seem to be doing the same thing as they are with Grizzly River (late opening)

HOWEVER, on 7/5 at night just before the first Electrical Parade started Small World went down, I already had a LL for this so I got an MEP. I quickly booked another LL that had a quick return time and got another MEP (rinse and repeat). Small World did not come back up until about 30 minutes after the fireworks ended. I was able to book 3 sets of MEPs (could have been more) during this time as the ride seemed to be down because of the upcoming firework show, KEEP AN EYE ON THIS!!!

Quick Update 7/6
DCA day. Booked Grizzly at Rope Drop. Instantly got an MEP at park opening. Booked again for Grizzly and it opened at 830am (DARN), Incredicoaster was down, but also came back early.

HOWEVER, I can confirm that Guardians at DCA is now at a Gold Tier. Meaning you need a MEP from TSMM or Guardians (which rarely happens) in order to get a Gold Tier MEP.

Last edited:
Update 7/17
Arrived into Downtown Disney just after 815am. This time took the Monorail into Disneyland. As soon as I entered the station, I purchased G+.
My goal was to FISH in the morning, while riding a few non-LL attractions, and then return at night to use MEPs in Fantasyland.
I booked Indiana Jones LL, but as I was on the Monorail, I noticed Matterhorn was down (app did not show it being down until a few minutes after). I was able to book a LL for the Matterhorn with a return time of 835am.
My MEP did not switch over, and the Matterhorn came back on line around 840am. That sucked.
So I booked my go to attraction, Indiana Jones, for 845am (refreshed a few times). By 9am Indiana Jones was down. Once I got the MEP, I booked IJ again with a return time of 930am-1030am. IJ still down, got my second MEP. Tried to do it a third time, but IJ came back up, so I switched to Big Thunder.

Went in to Stand By for Big Thunder, then Jungle Cruise (horrendous 10 minute posted wait turned into 30 because they had 3 boats online, but were training CMs with one boat, and were still working on getting more boats online), then rode Pirates.

Left the park around 11am, Big Thunder eventually went down, got my 3rd MEP. While at home, I just continued to scan and book IJ or BT for the rest of the day. I was never lucky enough to get a 4th MEP. However, I booked a legit Space Mountain LL for 730-830pm

Came back into the park around 730pm. Used my LL for Space Mountain (10 minute wait), had some dinner around 8pm. 830pm walked by Rise, decided to use LL on Falcon. Didn't need to, as Falcon was a complete walk on. Even though the posted wait time was 35 minutes. Booked a LL for Mansion next.

After Falcon grabbed my Tatooine Sunset at Rontos, then went back to check on Rise. Line still showed 55 minutes, but didn't seem to be moving, so I decided to skip and instead use LL for Mansion while Fantasmic was playing. Again, I didn't need to use LL for Mansion, even though posted wait time was 25 minutes.

As the fireworks started, we headed to It's a Small World, Walk On Wait. Then grabbed some popcorn and watched the Encanto show on Small World.

NOW ABOUT THE MEP and FANTASYLAND experience (note this is what happened to me, it can differ for others)
By this time it was about 10pm, I walked over to Alice in Wonderland, and CM said it wasn't ready, even though there was a significant queue.
Decided on Pinocchio, no wait, did not use MEP.
Then we decided to test MEP on Peter Pan (app says not allowed). I went to the CM near the disabled area, didn't say a word, showed them my MEP, she "scanned" it, and I was let into the queue where the ramp leads up to the boarding (5 minute wait). Checked the app while in line, even though scanned the MEP was still there.
Went to Mr. Toad next, showed the CM working the unloading area my MEP. She did not scan and just let onto the next vehicle. Maybe a 2 minute wait.
Went to Snow White after that. This time I was scanned in, BUT again the MEP still stayed in place.
Then did Carousel and Casey Jr next maybe 5 minute wait.
Went to Alice, but the line for disabled was super long, so we decided to skip.
So to sum it all up, I had 3 sets of MEPs. Not once did the scanning process take away any of the 3 MEPs I held.
AGAIN, this happened to me on 7/17. There is no guarantee this will happen for anyone else, BUT there should be good info to know if people want to use MEPs for Fantasyland attractions.

Great to know they let you use it on Peter Pan! I wonder if it depends on the CM. We didn't even try it last time. Our big score was using one on Pirates the day it reopened. :)

Great to know they let you use it on Peter Pan! I wonder if it depends on the CM. We didn't even try it last time. Our big score was using one on Pirates the day it reopened. :)
I have no doubt it is based on Cast member, but they didn't seem to care or question it. They just scanned and let me through.

Oddest part is that the scan did not remove any of the MEPs I had.

I have no doubt it is based on Cast member, but they didn't seem to care or question it. They just scanned and let me through.

Oddest part is that the scan did not remove any of the MEPs I had.
Yep on the MEP's not removing....we were there 4th of July weekend and our MEP's never went away after scanning so we just kept using it.

Update 7/17
Arrived into Downtown Disney just after 815am. This time took the Monorail into Disneyland. As soon as I entered the station, I purchased G+.
My goal was to FISH in the morning, while riding a few non-LL attractions, and then return at night to use MEPs in Fantasyland.
I booked Indiana Jones LL, but as I was on the Monorail, I noticed Matterhorn was down (app did not show it being down until a few minutes after). I was able to book a LL for the Matterhorn with a return time of 835am.
My MEP did not switch over, and the Matterhorn came back on line around 840am. That sucked.
So I booked my go to attraction, Indiana Jones, for 845am (refreshed a few times). By 9am Indiana Jones was down. Once I got the MEP, I booked IJ again with a return time of 930am-1030am. IJ still down, got my second MEP. Tried to do it a third time, but IJ came back up, so I switched to Big Thunder.

Went in to Stand By for Big Thunder, then Jungle Cruise (horrendous 10 minute posted wait turned into 30 because they had 3 boats online, but were training CMs with one boat, and were still working on getting more boats online), then rode Pirates.

Left the park around 11am, Big Thunder eventually went down, got my 3rd MEP. While at home, I just continued to scan and book IJ or BT for the rest of the day. I was never lucky enough to get a 4th MEP. However, I booked a legit Space Mountain LL for 730-830pm

Came back into the park around 730pm. Used my LL for Space Mountain (10 minute wait), had some dinner around 8pm. 830pm walked by Rise, decided to use LL on Falcon. Didn't need to, as Falcon was a complete walk on. Even though the posted wait time was 35 minutes. Booked a LL for Mansion next.

After Falcon grabbed my Tatooine Sunset at Rontos, then went back to check on Rise. Line still showed 55 minutes, but didn't seem to be moving, so I decided to skip and instead use LL for Mansion while Fantasmic was playing. Again, I didn't need to use LL for Mansion, even though posted wait time was 25 minutes.

As the fireworks started, we headed to It's a Small World, Walk On Wait. Then grabbed some popcorn and watched the Encanto show on Small World.

NOW ABOUT THE MEP and FANTASYLAND experience (note this is what happened to me, it can differ for others)
By this time it was about 10pm, I walked over to Alice in Wonderland, and CM said it wasn't ready, even though there was a significant queue.
Decided on Pinocchio, no wait, did not use MEP.
Then we decided to test MEP on Peter Pan (app says not allowed). I went to the CM near the disabled area, didn't say a word, showed them my MEP, she "scanned" it, and I was let into the queue where the ramp leads up to the boarding (5 minute wait). Checked the app while in line, even though scanned the MEP was still there.
Went to Mr. Toad next, showed the CM working the unloading area my MEP. She did not scan and just let onto the next vehicle. Maybe a 2 minute wait.
Went to Snow White after that. This time I was scanned in, BUT again the MEP still stayed in place.
Then did Carousel and Casey Jr next maybe 5 minute wait.
Went to Alice, but the line for disabled was super long, so we decided to skip.
So to sum it all up, I had 3 sets of MEPs. Not once did the scanning process take away any of the 3 MEPs I held.
AGAIN, this happened to me on 7/17. There is no guarantee this will happen for anyone else, BUT there should be good info to know if people want to use MEPs for Fantasyland attractions.
Good to know you had such good luck in Fantasyland. I am taking my not 40 inch almost 3 year old so I will be fishing but using the MEPs for things like Fantasyland and other rides a toddler will like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter