How to explain different face character actors

Darth Insidious

Mouseketeer
Any suggestions on how to explain why you might meet two Snow Whites who look different?

This happened a few times on our last trip but my daughter didn’t seem to notice.

My youngest now is picking up on this. She’s almost 6. We went to some local princess things. She noticed Cinderella looked different at the different events. I tried telling her she wore different makeup but she seemed skeptical.

On the one hand, good observation. On the other hand, I don’t want to ruin the magic.

I thought about telling her the real one is at Disney World but then what would I do if she notices they aren’t the same there?

when my kids started questioning Santa being in so many different places at the same time, some days a bit heavier than others, some days with an obvious wig and beard, and even different ethnicities, we simply used the term "Santa's helpers" that was enough to satisfy them. Same can work with the characters i suppose?

Ask "why do you think she looks different?" It will tell you a lot about her thinking, and what to do with it.

Little anecdote from a Dutch comedian (I am Dutch as well). He was in Amsterdam with his young daughter, probably same age. They took a shortcut through the red light district. During the day, but the windows were already open for business..All of a sudden the girl starts laughing and says: "Daddy! Why are all these women wearing bikinis?"

Dad panicks and tries to think of what to say, how to explain this. He then asks her why she thinks these women are wearing bikinis. After some thought she answers: "Maybe they will go swimming later." And with that the conversation was over.

Maybe your daughter will let you know she starts to realize they are actresses, maybe she comes up with a (for her) plausible explanation why Cinderella looks different. And she can enjoy the magic for another year.

Last edited:
Ask "why do you think she looks different?" It will tell you a lot about her thinking, and what to do with it.

Little anecdote from a Dutch comedian (I am Dutch as well). He was in Amsterdam with his young daughter, probably same age. They took a shortcut through the red light district. During the day, but the windows were already open for business..All of a sudden the girl starts laughing and says: "Daddy! Why are all these women wearing bikinis?"

Dad panicks and tries to think of what to say, how to explain this. He then asks her why she thinks these women are wearing bikinis. After some thought she answers: "Maybe they will go swimming later." And with that the conversation was over.

Maybe your daughter will let you know she starts to realize they are actresses, maybe she comes up with a (for her) plausible explanation why Cinderella looks different. And she can enjoy the magic for another year.
Thanks. She said they’re different when I asked the other day. She didn’t quite say they’re different people.

when my kids started questioning Santa being in so many different places at the same time, some days a bit heavier than others, some days with an obvious wig and beard, and even different ethnicities, we simply used the term "Santa's helpers" that was enough to satisfy them. Same can work with the characters i suppose?
I was thinking along these lines. Like Santa is in the North Pole, Cinderella is Disney World. That breaks down a bit if she eats at CRT and then wants to meet Elena and therefore meets a different Cinderella. I guess WDW is a big place and she can’t be everywhere st once even there.

Does anyone know what the characters say if the kid asks if they’re the real one?

I was thinking along these lines. Like Santa is in the North Pole, Cinderella is Disney World. That breaks down a bit if she eats at CRT and then wants to meet Elena and therefore meets a different Cinderella. I guess WDW is a big place and she can’t be everywhere st once even there.

Does anyone know what the characters say if the kid asks if they’re the real one?
The characters will NOT break the 4th wall, they will act, talk and respond as if they are the one and only. The answer would probably be the same as a child would give "of course I'm real"

It's hard to watch our little ones lose their sense of wonder and innocence but that's when we get to watch in awe of the person they are becoming. Follow her lead, as mentioned above if she asks a question about what she's seeing, turn it around to her and ask "What do you think?" You don't want to end up in the situation of explaining the birds and the bees when asked "where did I come from?" when all she is curious about is what city she was born in!

"All children, except one, grow up." - JM Barrie

It's sad, but I wouldn't force the issue. Asking them what they think is a good idea. My DD has A TON of questions about everything. Figuring out the "truth" about Santa and characters or whatever actually makes her more comfortable with everything. I want my kids to be comfortable at Disney.

It doesn't really ruin the magic anyway....I'm pretty sure I was just as thrilled to wait in line for a picture with the super buff cast member that they had standing in as Captain America, at Disneyland a few years ago, as I would have been for actual Chris Evans. Probably wouldn't want to actually meet someone with superpowers, because that's terrifying.

Our girls hated the face characters and walked around calling them "freaky"!! Never understood why they'd love a large mouse but hate Cinderella. Kids!!! I think I would tell its disney magic and leave it at that.

Once they were old enough to notice I was honest. I told them they were actors because it’s fun for everyone to pretend. Like Halloween or dressing up in princess dresses at home. It hasn’t phased them one bit. Like when they started asking about the Santa’s they meet at events we explained they’re Santa’s helpers.

My DD4 is asking some questions about Santa. So far logistically how does he do it but I'm anticipating the why does he look different question and I was thinking after I ask her what she thinks but she says I don't know a lot that maybe I could say something like he makes himself look different to represent different children....to maybe spark a mini representation conversation.....? I don't know

Even when I firmly believed in Santa, I always knew that department store Santas were just men in costumes, pretending to be the REAL Santa (who was obviously much too busy at that time of year to hang out in stores).

Even when I firmly believed in Santa, I always knew that department store Santas were just men in costumes, pretending to be the REAL Santa (who was obviously much too busy at that time of year to hang out in stores).
Exactly!

There was a time we got the question - how can Mickey be here at this breakfast and at Magic Kingdom and at Chef Mickey's and etc, all at the same time?! Sometimes curious minds are at work.....!

I would go the questioning her route and if that didn't satisfy, you might try the friends of route. I'm pretty sure even if she knows the truth it's not going to spoil anything. Look at all the adults who love to meet the characters and they know for a fact what's going on. I think in some cases they know the actual person who is playing the friend of. The only character I've ever met was Chewy. I knew good and well that was just a tall person in a costume, I still was tickled pink to give him a big ole hug and point out my tshirt that had a picture of Harrison Ford and Chewy on it and said "Chewy we are home". Magic is magic.

By the way, one time at Disneyland Paris (where they are obviously less careful about this kind of thing) we were in Auberge de Cendrillon, where Suzy and Perla (Cinderella’s mice) were circulating, while simultaneously a second Suzy and Perla were outside and clearly visible through the window. Try explaining THAT to curious kids!

Our first trip was when older DD was 6 and we had some journaling questions for her back in the hotel. One was what you were surprised about. She said she was surprised that the characters were people in costumes. We had never discussed it but it hadn't actually occurred to me that she would think they were real! We talked a bit and decided that they were "real Disney World characters" and she is still happy to meet them at age 25...

Younger DD was always more fanciful, living in a world of pretend, and I don't remember any conversation about it. But I do remember when she was early elementary, she met her "favorite Jasmine", she was spot-on and gorgeous, so I know she was noticing a difference. But she was still star-struck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter