How to do one day trip

lconn

Earning My Ears
We have always done at least a five day trip to Disneyland. We happen to be in the area this weekend and we’re able to fit in one day at Disneyland, this Friday.
Can you guys help me get my head around only having one day to spend there? I’m beyond happy that we get to go at all but I think I might be sad at the same time!
We’re going to have park hoppers with max pass and get there early. We’re going to talk to the kids (12 and 14) about realistic expectations (like we won’t be able to do everything multiple times like we’re used to). I think rides will be our priority as opposed to shows etc. Now that I’m thinking about it more though I feel like I do want to see things like the lighting of the castle etc. Usually when we go I always try to have times during our trip to just absorb the atmosphere and really enjoy being there but I don’t know how to fit that in or if I should even try. Maybe I just need to change my thinking.
Do you guys have any advice for me?

You're on the right track with maxpass and hoppers. One tip I have learned from the boards is to start on the side that doesn't have MM or EMH. So I think on Friday, DCA has EMH, so I would begin at DL, then hop over when you're ready. Ask your family what they do not want to miss, and make those a priority. For the tree lighting, just book fastpasses around it. And it only lasts a minute or so, so once it's lit up, and you take pics, then keep doing rides.

Below, I included a trip report I did for one day parkhopping with my friends over the summer. It includes how I did our maxpass selections.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/one-day-parkhopping-with-maxpass-trip-report.3705465/

Usually when we go I always try to have times during our trip to just absorb the atmosphere and really enjoy being there but I don’t know how to fit that in or if I should even try.
While eating meals and snacks, resting your feet in the afternoon when lines are long and you don't have any FP lined up. MaxPass creates free time in the afternoon because you don't have to run around collecting FP for evening. You can do that while sitting and enjoying lunch with the family. If you really want to prioritize riding the maximum number of rides possible, you will have to jump from line to line and never have downtime. But to me, at the time of day when lines are at their longest, it's not worth the wait to just get on a couple of small rides - that time is better spent on park atmosphere, watching performances, or having a snack.

We usually do 5 day trips, but found ourselves on a last minute, one day visit when my husband was in SoCal on business last year. My kids are similar in age to yours, and I was also concerned that it might be disappointing for them since they were used to longer stays. We ended up making it our "greatest hits" DL day. Everyone picked two things they wanted to do, and everything else we accomplished was just icing on the cake. We had a blast, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Thank you. Your responses made me feel better. I think I need to just enjoy the whirl wind day that it will be, look at it as exciting to see what all we can accomplish in one day. I know the kids will feed off of my mood so I definitely don’t want to dwell on what we can’t do!

I know the kids will feed off of my mood so I definitely don’t want to dwell on what we can’t do!
That's a good point. If you don't say anything they might not even notice what they're missing. I'm the planner in my relationship, and sometimes when we leave the parks (or some other event) and I say "too bad we missed out on _________" my partner will say "I completely forgot about that!" I forget that if you're not the one actively planning the trip, you're not hyper-focused on what "needs" to get done.

That's a good point. If you don't say anything they might not even notice what they're missing. I'm the planner in my relationship, and sometimes when we leave the parks (or some other event) and I say "too bad we missed out on _________" my partner will say "I completely forgot about that!" I forget that if you're not the one actively planning the trip, you're not hyper-focused on what "needs" to get done.
I like your point. Last trip I left wishing I did this. I wanted to make sure they did all these certain rides....they were 2&3...they don’t know what they’re missing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter