• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to decide what to offer?!

Florencia Girman

Earning My Ears
I need help! I see plenty of AKL lodge contracts going for the mid/low 90s. We NEED to stay in that budget...however when I look at listings most are 105-118. What am I doing wrong? Do people just offer close to $20 a point off of asking? Thank you for any advice!!! We would be looking to purchase 200 points.

Flo

They'll say no and you move to another contract. I'm not fond of lowballing, but the worst that can happen from your end is that you don't get a contract.

I'd suggest getting a relationship going with a reseller and telling them what your budget is. They'll likely know who is coming through that wants a quick sale and would be up for a lower offer. I wouldn't expect anything but a stripped contract.

Check out the ROFR thread and get an idea of how much contracts are selling for. Only offer what you think is fair and what you are comfortable paying. The first offer we made was under asking and the broker said they wouldn't even present it to the seller. So we moved on. Found a contract we liked better with a different company and offered $15 ppt below asking and it was accepted. Worth the wait.

I would only make an offer that you feel comfortable with. I think offering somewhere around $95 for a contract listed between $100 to $115 isn't offensive. The trend resllers have used over the last few years is to price pretty much all listings on the high end of the market. It's definitely worked in many cases, but there are still deals to be had. Perusing the ROFR thread there are still many contracts that closed that I feel were awesome deals. I'm guessing many were priced much higher initially. There are numerous reports on these boards of people offering $20 below asking and getting the contract. I think you just have to be realistic in the fact you might get quite a few NO's before the YES. But all you need is one YES.

I would find some reasonable contracts that fit and offer within your range. Worst case is you get no after no and have to reevaluate. Best case we get to say Welcome Home. Good luck!

Offer what you can afford - or even a bit lower to give some room for negotiation. You don’t know the sellers and they don’t know you. If they say no, you move on. I studied the ROFR thread a lot and I looked to see which listings had been on the market the longest. The latter may be more difficult because of the size contract you want. I was in a bit of a different scenario when I bought resale because we need a high-point contract (which many buyers find less desirable). I offered $15 lower than asking on a loaded contract and the offer was accepted. You never know what a person is willing to accept.

Don't be worried about offending anyone, this is a business transaction, and if your offer isn't accepted then just move on to the next contract.

Resale prices have jump significantly over the past 2 years and have gotten a little crazy, so offer what YOU think is reasonable.

We just sold a (200) BCV. Listed it at $134. (it was 3/4 stripped for 2018 points). Offer on Day 1 was $125. We settled on $130. Which was what I wanted, I would have waited a few weeks for $130. At first I was like, ugh, $125?? then I remembered, hey I can counter at my $130 and we can move on.

I just bought a contract at WL-BR (200) listed at $100, which considering it was loaded, I thought was fair, perhaps not the deal of the century, but fair. But I offered $95 anyway and they took it.

I treated my first purchase like any business affair, offer what I thought was fair. I am not fond of low balling. I offer what I think is fair to both parties wether it’s purchasing a car, a house keeper or DVC.

You could also maybe consider paying a higher price per point than you were thinking, but have the selling pay closing costs. If you do the math sometimes this works out the same as far as money spent on your end but makes the seller feel better.

Always offer what you are comfortable with. You never know. They can just say no, and you can keep offering until someone says yes.

I need help! I see plenty of AKL lodge contracts going for the mid/low 90s. We NEED to stay in that budget...however when I look at listings most are 105-118. What am I doing wrong? Do people just offer close to $20 a point off of asking? Thank you for any advice!!! We would be looking to purchase 200 points.

Flo

Feel free to make any offer you are comfortable with. At The Timeshare Store, Inc.® we will contact the seller and the seller will either accept, counter or be firm at their price. In my experience a lot of buyers feel they really don't know what properties are selling for until they start making offers. If a buyer still hasn't found a property or sellers haven't accepted their offers I find that buyers are more comfortable after they have made a few offers.

Don't worry about offending anyone. Make an offer that you see as reasonable and then the seller will either counter offer or just decline. I think every seller is in a different situation -- some need/want to off load quickly, some put their contract up for sale but can wait for the right offer. Be flexible with what UY you want and look closely at the points status -- if you happen to find one loaded, but you don't need the point you can rent for $14-15 pp via a broker (provided you have sufficient time to use the points after closing) to help off set your costs.

I think the trend recently is that contracts are listed high, likely more so with the recent increase of direct prices, but just because they are listed at a certain price doesn't mean that is what it will sell for. Definitively look at the ROFR thread looking back over the past 6 months.

Don’t feel bad at offering lower. Mid 90 is nit unreasonable at all. If you don’t like the negotiation process then Look at fidelity. They normally have the most reasonable starting prices. Seems like most of their listings for AKL are in the 90-100 range.

There is a site that posts all dvc contracts available. I use it whenever I get the itch.

Just google: Current Average DVC Listing Prices

https://www.***************.com/Disney-DVC-Market-Values

Best site in the dvc world!

Last edited:
It's business not personal, so offer what you want. I found an agency I felt priced contracts fairly, and an agent I liked working with. From there I was able to find the contract I wanted at I price I was happy paying. We offered and they countered, so I would always offer. However, I would look at recent price trends as they have gone up since mid to end of Jan.

Look at different resellers. The price spread can be significant. Don't feel bad about offering lower than what they are asking. All they can do is either counter or say no. Then you counter or move on. Good luck!

Don’t feel bad on what you offer — I have just sold one my contracts from SSR. I had it listed for $99 pp. - 200 points. I had the first offer come in at $88.00 pp with me paying closing and 2018 MF. I didn’t even bother to counter. The second offer came in a day later at $97 and I sold it yesterday.

Moral of the story...make an honest offer and I do not think you will turned down.

Just bought 100 points at $90/point at AKL ... don't worry about offending, it's business.

Last edited:
We've just started making some offers and I feel like I'm just low balling everyone as well but whatever...for AKL I've been offering 91-95 pp

I was told two of the sellers at least couldn't drop below 100 because of their own payoff..meh not the buyers problem.

I was told two of the sellers at least couldn't drop below 100 because of their own payoff..meh not the buyers problem.

The way I look at this when I've heard this from a broker, is that at least the current owner is going to get some money back and not have to be foreclosed on. I don't understand why the brokers say this to any potential buyer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter