How to deal with the late-August heat @ Universal

Koz

DIS Veteran
Good morning. This is the first trip for us as a family to Universal, as we've focused on the mouse up until this point. Given that my kids are now getting older and busy with school and sports, it's becoming increasingly more difficult to take them out of school for more than a few days.

We've booked 8 days @ HRH for the end of August, and the one thing I've heard from friends (from NY) who have been there at the same time is that they would never go again.

Just curious to see from your perspective as to how bad things can get re: weather. I know that it's hot, REALLY HOT and that the humidity is nearly 100% every day, but we see high humidity in NY for a good amount of the summer as well and everyone has managed to survive.

In terms of navigating Universal for the week, I think one thing we have going for us is being @ HRH and having the ability to duck back to the resort at the hottest part of the day. Is this a common thing for people to do? Figuring that we can go from rope drop (with unlimited express pass) and stick it out till lunch, grab a bite to eat in the parks and then hit the pool for the afternoon, going back at or before dinner and staying until park close. Decent strategy?

Also, in terms of lines and ques, when we are on line is it typically indoors in A/C for most of the attractions? My last time @ Universal was when the shark was still in town, and I can't remember much beyond that.

Wondering if in the extreme heat most people opt for either the bus or boat ride back to their hotel, as the 10 minute walk can seem more like a prison death march in the middle of the day.

I'm sure that everyone will be wearing dri-fit that week, or anything else that will help us stay cool.
Thanks for any tips or feedback!

Yes to all of the above. Some rides queues are not indoors or partially outdoors.

As someone from the northeast, I would never go in August. I would melt before I even entered the park. I typically go in late October and April and I find that unbearably hot. It is 32 degrees outside now and I wore a t-shirt and an unzipped sweatshirt to go to work.

We survive the 90s and high heat in the northeast by staying indoors or in the water. And even then it is only for 3 days at the most.

Yes to all of the above. Some rides queues are not indoors or partially outdoors.

As someone from the northeast, I would never go in August. I would melt before I even entered the park. I typically go in late October and April and I find that unbearably hot. It is 32 degrees outside now and I wore a t-shirt and an unzipped sweatshirt to go to work.

We survive the 90s and high heat in the northeast by staying indoors or in the water. And even then it is only for 3 days at the most.

I agree about not traveling in late August, as up until now we were an October or January family. Kids get older and schedules get demanding. It's either you adapt or don't go away at all for us. Heat + Vacation or Stay at home is an easy choice to make.

If August is the only time that works for you for the trip then you will have to go with the flow and adapt.

Yes, it’s hot in August in Florida and while some folks as noted about have heat and humidity that’s similar perhaps.....we are closer to the equator here in Florida and the sun is hotter in addition to the increased temps and humidity.....that being said.

1. Coming out of the back of HRH you are close to the entrance of US.

2. Doing early entry and hitting the rides and and having lunch then heading back to HRH after lunch is a perfect idea and is commonly done.

3. Stay well hydrated......All places that sell drinks will give all of you a cup of ice water for free just ask.

4. Make sure to keep the sun screen on.

5. Mytho’s for lunch is a great option for a full service meal with good food and air conditioning and is located in IOA.

6. A lot of the rides in IOA and Universal are protected from the sun and have air conditioning . I will name a few that come to mind.

Kings Cross station very cool.

Spider-Man

Kong

MIB

Transformers

Minion (outside line covered...inside line air conditioned)

Shrek (outside line covered....inside line air conditioned)

Escape from Gringotts beautiful and air conditioned

Jimmy Fallen Escape form New York air conditioned

ET (outside line covered....inside air conditioned)

Forbidden Journey at Hogwarts Castle line can be outside a bit if the line is long then most of it is covered and then the enterior of Castle is air conditioned.

All indoor restaurants and shops are nicely air conditioned.

There are really not a lot of rides that leave you exposed to the extreme heat at Universal Orlando.

Hope this helps. Go have a great time with your family pixiedust:

Last edited:

As I traveled to Universal in Late August myself, it does get hot. However, being it is late August the parks are a little less crowded as most of Florida and nearby states have already gone back to school. It is hot during the day and the humidity is high, It is more humid than NY, as I am from Long Island but have relocated to a place about 40 miles east of Orlando. Pace yourself during the day and make use of the Hotel Facilities. Guaranteed every afternoon there will be a shower or thunderstorm which will cool things off and clear the parks a little. Water rides will cool you off and I must say the Cat in the Hat is one of the coolest (Temperature wise) rides in IOA. It is not that bad in August, enjoy and take your time. You don't have to go commando with EP, by relaxing and taking your time you will feel at least 5 degree's cooler.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Deal with the heat and make the most of it! What else can you do?

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Deal with the heat and make the most of it! What else can you do?

You will be fine..........Universal is my happy place.......I love it cold or hot...::yes::

Don't forget to spend 1/2 day at I of A on water rides (Jurassic, Dudley, Popeye). Wear your bathing suits over, get really, really wet and enjoy! We rode Popeye 17 straight times - nothing funnier than watching people get dressed up to go to a theme park, then get on a ride they have no idea what it is, then watch them get drenched.

You have already conquered the toughest challenge - accepting that it is going to be hot. Between shops, restaurants, indoor queues, swimming at resort, etc., there is no reason to be in the heat exposed for an extended period of time.

We as a family are fine with sharing a refillable mug, and having the option for a Powerade/Zero in the coke machines and water when we eat is great for staying hydrated. If you don't feel thirsty, drink anyway. Along with sunscreen, the most important measure against the heat.

We are from Western New York, have gone in late August and are returning the third week of August this year. The main reason is because with school and the after school activities, this is the best time that is least crowded for us (and most affordable). We make the most of it (boys are now 10 and 13) and don't take mid-day breaks. We stay the entire day but take advantage of the indoor rides when we are over heating, water rides and the occasional icee. We also do an air conditioned sit down lunch as our down time.
Just make sure to hydrate, find shade when you need it and listen to your body if you are feeling the heat. Have fun!!

You can have a great time in August. Definitely plan to take a break each day back at the Hotel. Staying onsite helps tremendously. You can even take the boat to other hotels to check them out.

With the hotel Express Passes you likely would not have many/any outside lines. Enjoy the water rides but know that you will get SOAKED on some of them. We are talking gallons of water poured over your entire body kind of wet on some if you catch the right spot.

We have gone in late August before due to my husband being a teacher. I would advise to buy a Coke Freestyle cup in order to stay well hydrated. Take breaks in the afternoon when its the hottest and head back to your room to swim, rest, etc. Head into Knockturn Alley because it is dark and air conditioned...great spot to cool off. The line for the Hogwarts Express on the Kings Cross side is also air conditioned, so we never mind waiting here. I find the hottest spot to be Springfield because there isn't a whole lot of cover. Behind the Simpsons Food Court, there is a nice covered seating area.. We are from the NE and it gets hot but you deal with it and have fun. :)

Im getting one of those little personal mini fans for myself for our late May trip. I hate heat !

Sure, it'll be hot, but a hot day at Universal is better than a cool day at work! Most queues are inside, and you'll have express pass. I might think about one of those water bottle fans and a Frog Togg for each person. Be sure to drink lots and lots of water.

When it starts getting really hot, go do the water rides until you get tired of them and then go back to the hotel to dry off. We always get REALLY soaked on the IoA water rides, so we always time them for right before a break.

OP is on the right track already. You have 8 days with EP to see everything, so go at a leisurely pace. You can duck into a shop if you want to quick cool down. Pool hop from 12 to 3 every day. Do the water rides. Explore in Jurassic Discovery Center for more cool down. Lots of ways to put off the heat.

We are from Philly and it seems to be just as hot as FL in August. We do lots of outdoor activities during the summer so our bodies are used to it by the time we go on vacation.

The great thing about HRH is it's so easy to walk back to your hotel. It's a quick walk. There are even rick-shaw bikes that can take you back to your hotel for a tip.

We tour early, take a mid day break and then go back to the parks when the sun goes down. We end up eating dinner at City Walk and then head over to our park for the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter