• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to deal with Disney haters????

princesskaycee

Earning My Ears
Okay, I didn't go search around but I'm sure this isn't the first thread regarding this topic. I keep seeing all over the internet people saying how creepy it is for adults to love Disney and go to the parks every year. I really don't understand why people put me down for liking something? If it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone, why do people care so much? People make me feel like I'm crazy for liking Disney. And I'm not even as big of a fanatic as others are! Example- I had my pins out this weekend and was updating my PinPics account and my friend was over and asked what they were, and I told him and all I got was this weird look like I had said something super creepy and pathetic. I have a hard time dealing with people like this. Any advice? Should I just keep my love for Disney a secret? Are there ways to just stop caring what people think? Because I'm not good at that lol.

If you're bumping into Disney haters on the web, you're on the wrong sites. :) There are haters of EVERYTHING on the internet, just avoid them. Disney is a segment of pop culture just like sports, movies, music, etc. I happen to think it's a little creepy for grown men to paint their faces in their team's colors and go scream for 3 hours at a game, but I'm the guy who watches a couple of Disney movies each week, and has a Mickey Mouse wedding ring. Who am I to judge?:earsboy:

If you're bumping into Disney haters on the web, you're on the wrong sites. :) There are haters of EVERYTHING on the internet, just avoid them. Disney is a segment of pop culture just like sports, movies, music, etc. I happen to think it's a little creepy for grown men to paint their faces in their team's colors and go scream for 3 hours at a game, but I'm the guy who watches a couple of Disney movies each week, and has a Mickey Mouse wedding ring. Who am I to judge?:earsboy:

My boyfriend made a comment to me once about it, I brought up how I didn't get how he didn't get tired of all his video games, he never said anything about it again! lol

Okay, I didn't go search around but I'm sure this isn't the first thread regarding this topic. I keep seeing all over the internet people saying how creepy it is for adults to love Disney and go to the parks every year. I really don't understand why people put me down for liking something? If it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone, why do people care so much? People make me feel like I'm crazy for liking Disney. And I'm not even as big of a fanatic as others are! Example- I had my pins out this weekend and was updating my PinPics account and my friend was over and asked what they were, and I told him and all I got was this weird look like I had said something super creepy and pathetic. I have a hard time dealing with people like this. Any advice? Should I just keep my love for Disney a secret? Are there ways to just stop caring what people think? Because I'm not good at that lol.

Okay, my confession is that I am not a huge Disney fan. I like Disney, I just don't visit as frequently as most people on this board. I came to this board to get advice for a visit a few years ago, and I have hung around for other trips (Sea World, etc) and other information, plus I generally like the community. So take that for what it is worth.

As far as your Disney passion, just own it. If someone makes the face or says something, just smile and say, "I have just always loved all things Disney! What are you into?" If they care to share, give them the same attention and respect you would want.

Last edited:
i am of the camp of embracing what you are and what you like. if you learn to do it well enough, the person that tried to put you on the defensive, will be put on the defensive. that is always good for a few laughs.

My husband just tells people, "Disney is my happy place!"

Most of the time that's all that needs to be said. But, occasionally, if someone presses the issue, we'll explain that some folks have cabins they visit every summer. We've got Disney. It's got all the attraction for us of a vacation at the lake, plus rides and shows.

Never feel ashamed of the things that bring you joy (assuming, of course, that these things aren't illegal or immoral). :hippie:

Last edited:
I recently had someone make fun of my Christmas cards always have my family at WDW (not every year but we do go down in the beg of Dec a lot). I told him I would give up WDW if he gave up hunting. He laughed but continued on, I said you are just jealous that your wife wont let you put your hunting pics in the family Christmas card...THAT shut him up, maybe I hit a nerve lol

I am married to a person who has never been to Disney nor does he care to. I've been going my whole life. He's my second husband and we've been together 8 years. My vacations with my children started long before we met. He doesn't go with us...and I'm fine with that. Gives me special time with my boys. I don't forget it on him and he doesn't bug me about it (although he doesn't get the fascination)
I don't let it bother me. I figure it's no different than a person being married to someone who goes on fishing, hunting or golf trips without their spouse.
We don't have to share everything and shouldn't have to give up our passions for someone.

Someday when there's grandkids I'm hoping I'll convince him to give it a try. Who knows? He may like it lol

Usually, the people that are the most critical of my Disney trips are the same folks who go to the same beach every. darn. summer. (???) When they say, "Oh, I would NEVER want to go to Disney so often!", I come back with, "And I would NEVER want to go sit on the same old beach every summer!" Pretty much shuts them up...

Plus, if they don't want to go to WDW, that's one less family in line in front of me.

I recently had someone make fun of my Christmas cards always have my family at WDW (not every year but we do go down in the beg of Dec a lot). I told him I would give up WDW if he gave up hunting. He laughed but continued on, I said you are just jealous that your wife wont let you put your hunting pics in the family Christmas card...THAT shut him up, maybe I hit a nerve lol

I prefer hunting to Disney, but that's just funny :)

Okay, I didn't go search around but I'm sure this isn't the first thread regarding this topic. I keep seeing all over the internet people saying how creepy it is for adults to love Disney and go to the parks every year.

its a little bit creepy :teeth:

Also could it be you're a wee bit sensitive, I mean all he did was look at you weirdly??? I mean I've worn outfits that had my hubby questioning my sanity. lol
Did he say any thing derogatory?? Where is the put down??

you ask why do people care?? Why do you care??
look, I have different folks in my life. I have my family and best friends, most of them do not love Disney but they love me. once in a while they will ask why I go back so often. they don't say it negatively or nasty. they simply ask and I answer. at most someone will ask if I find it boring going back to the same place.

acquaintances, coworkers and strangers really don't care.

My best friend loves to go skiing. She drives each week to the same mountain and goes down the same hills. No one ever questions her love of skiing. Ignore the haters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter