How to Chat on RCCL

Brancaneve

That means Snow White in another language.
Hello everyone! We are sailing the Freedom of the Seas in June of 2016 for the first time and are going with a large group. We loved the DCL app that allows the texting feature. It was a great way to let everyone know where we were. Does anyone know if the ship has Wavephones similar to what DCL offers? Or is there an app that can be downloaded that allows for texting?

Hello everyone! We are sailing the Freedom of the Seas in June of 2016 for the first time and are going with a large group. We loved the DCL app that allows the texting feature. It was a great way to let everyone know where we were. Does anyone know if the ship has Wavephones similar to what DCL offers? Or is there an app that can be downloaded that allows for texting?
The last time we were on RCL was in October, and there wasn't anything offered other than their standard internet packages.

So it looks like a good ol' white boards on the door and cabin phones will have to do!

Was just on Freedom a few weeks ago and that is the only complaint I had. Disney allows you to text back and forth using their app and that part is free. Royal has WI-FI only and no "Wave" type phones. There is a solution though...if you get internet on two devices and you both get the app called "Cruisemates", you can text back and forth on that. This is where RCI was a better deal than Disney. On Disney it goes by the amount of data you use so if you forget to log out you can use up all your data in a few hours. but RCI gives you unlimited by the day. It was $94.00 for seven days unlimited for one device and $120.00 unlimited for two devices. That was with a first day purchase and Crown and Anchor discount. Hope this helps.:fish:Also, be aware that the Internet on Freedom of the Seas only worked well early and late. It was hard to even send texts at times. The newest RCI ships have their own satellite and it is like broadband. (Quantum Class)

Last edited:
Was just on Freedom a few weeks ago and that is the only complaint I had. Disney allows you to text back and forth using their app and that part is free. Royal has WI-FI only and no "Wave" type phones. There is a solution though...if you get internet on two devices and you both get the app called "Cruisemates", you can text back and forth on that. This is where RCI was a better deal than Disney. On Disney it goes by the amount of data you use so if you forget to log out you can use up all your data in a few hours. but RCI gives you unlimited by the day. It was $94.00 for seven days unlimited for one device and $120.00 unlimited for two devices. That was with a first day purchase and Crown and Anchor discount. Hope this helps.:fish:Also, be aware that the Internet on Freedom of the Seas only worked well early and late. It was hard to even send texts at times. The newest RCI ships have their own satellite and it is like broadband. (Quantum Class)

Wow! Thanks so much kamehameha for the detailed information. We sailed on DCL this June and it was so easy to communicated with the wave phones and the app. It was so nice! I'm thinking that I may pick up two walkie talkies and use those instead. My son is 11 and has type 1 diabetes and he will want to hang out with his cousins and have some freedom, but I will be a worried mama. I will need to know his blood sugar all the time, and will need to know if he's going to eat and give him insulin. As long as I can communicate with him, I'm ok!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter