How to avoid character wait times in toontown?

Gwen412

Earning My Ears
Going Sept 7- Sept 12 for 1st real disney trip wiht DD2 and DD 3.9 (she turn 4 in Oct.)

Sooo

I want them to see as many characters as possible - we can only afford one character meal (we are doing Cindy's for breakfast - so that knocks out the princesses)

But what is the best way to see Mickey, Alice, Pooh, and like without long waits??

We are going to all 4 parks - so tips would be GREAT!

Also - I think we are gonna go to MNSSHP from 7-10 on Friday night Sept 11....

Thanks - gWen

Here is my experience from last August based on all of the help I got here:

In MK - Check times guides and be to locations 5 - 10 mins early and you should be good on the following:
- "Pirates" ride area - Peter Pan characters.
- Main Street entrance (varies throughout the day) we saw - Chip n' Dale, Pluto, DAISY! (very hard to find), Clarabelle and Horace, Pinocchio, Gepetto, Jimney Cricket, Snow White and Dopey, Mary Poppins and Bert
- Tomorrowland - Stitch and Buzz
- Fantasyland by tea cups - Tweedle Dee and Dum, Alice and Mad Hatter
- Pooh's thoughtful spot (line is longer here) - Pooh, Tigger, Darby
- Ariel - needed to be here at opening or one hour wait in the heat!

We spent one day walking the World in Epcot and struck it big: Beginning in Mexico we saw 2 - 5 characters per country: 3 Cabs.(Mexico), Mulan and Mushu (China), Snow White and Dopey (Germany), Gepetto, Mr. Smee, Penguins from Mary Poppins (Around Italy and America by the lake railings), Jasmine, Aladdin, Genie, Abu, Jafar (Morocco), Belle, Beast (by the lake outside France), Marie the Cat, Sleeping Beauty (by the gardens in the furthest right hand corner facing France), Alice, Mary Poppins, Pooh, Eyeore, Tigger, Piglet (England in the Toy Shop), Brother Bear (in front of Canada). Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale, Pluto, Donald (Character Spot building as you head back toward Spaceship Earth on the left). Our two year-old was in heaven. One of use got on the lines and the other kept her cool inside the nearest Pavillion/shops. Epcot can be very hot! We survived this trek by keeping lots of water. I had to resist many beers to survive this trip!

Animal Kingdom - Many at entrance varied throughout the day - Meeko, Baloo

Baloo and King Louie near birds Flights of Wonder

Lilo and Stitch by store across from Pizzafari

Tarzan Apes in alcove near bridge going towards Safari

Minnie, Mickey, Goofy in Safari gear at Camp Minnie Mickey

Brother Bear at Camp Minnie Mickey

Rafiki at Conservation Station

I know there are more here, but it was very humid so we didn't stay too long.

Hollywood Studios -

Pixar area - McQueen, Mater, Woody, Buzz, Monsters Inc
Animation Studios - Incredibles, Wall-e cut-out
Playhouse Disney - Handy Manny, Little Einsteins
Around the Hat - Longer lines here - varied throughout the day - Minnie, Goofy, Snow White Queen, Jafar, many more we didn't get

We did one ride to every five autographs, but our 2 year-old was happy and we have some awesome photos! Have fun!!!!

WOW - yeah - both my DD's get scared on rides (they like It's small World and Dumbo...)

What they enjoy mosts are playspots, shows and meeting characters -

I want to make a touring plan that will cut down wait time for character meets instead of riding rides.....

Thanks for the help!

Gwen

I found the character greeting trails in AK were a really good spot to meet characters. If you go during a Lion King show, and definitely NOT when a LK show has just let out, the waits are pretty short. We saw Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald there.

You can meet Sorcerer Mickey at DHS. I can't remember the exact location so maybe someone can chime in. Was it in the Magic of Disney Animation? Anyway, we met him there and there was only one family in line ahead of us so it was a really short wait.

I've heard that going to Toontown during parade times cuts down on the wait.

We also met a lot of characters in the World Showcase at Epcot. But the waits varied. Some, like Mary Poppins, we only had a couple people in front of us. Other characters we had to wait a lot longer.

we've always had much better luck with shorter lines with the trails at Animal Kingdom. I think because they aren't openly visible, maybe folks don't know about them?

This summer we saw Mickey & Minnie together in Toontown. Try to be at Toontown when it opens at 10 & head straight to Mickey's House--come back to look around so just go through & get in line at the the Judge's Tent. The area is cool & they are showing black & white old Mickey cartoons that the kids will enjoy!

Oh, on EMH at Epcot we saw a lot of characters in the Epcot Charater Spot near Innoventions West. My DDs are older so didn't won't to wait. However, early on there was a minimal wait & there were a number of characters waiting inside--the backgrounds were pretty & the wait area was air conditioned.

My Unofficail Guide to Walt Disney World 2009 has this piece of advice from another WDW vistor:

"We followed your advice and hit FantasyLand first (9a.m. to 10a.m.). I would strongly urge parents with young children to head next to Mickey's Toontown! It opened at 10a.m. and we went directly to meet Mickey in his house. Then we went to Toontown Hall of Fame. Due to the lack of lines, our daughter got to meet ALL nine Characters -in a row- with NO Line! Another MK guest told us the line had been an hour just the day before. DO TOONTOWN WHEN IT OPENS!"

We had a lot of luck at AK with the character greeting "trails". We went early before the scheduled Festival of the Lion King and met Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Chip n Dale.... it was great! short lines, shady and very friendly handlers and Photo Pass people. Have fun!

I agree, AK seemed to have the shortest lines. We had great luck at Camp Mickey Minnie. We were there when they opened the lines to see characters and we saw them all back to back, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale. We also walked right up to Lilo, Stitch, Pocahontas (sp) and few others I can't remember.

Well, the shortest wait times are when you just don't get in line but just look at the characters as you walk by them :laughing:

However; we found some of the shortest lines as mentioned at AK in Camp Minnie Mickey - we went just as the parade started and there was literally 5 other people there but several characters. We saw Lilo & Stitch, Pocohantas & Coda.

We also had luck in Epcot:

Pooh shows at the toy store in England, as does Mary Poppins.

We saw Donald Duck in a little garden Alcove near Mexico.

Aladdin, Jasmine and Genie show up outside Morrocco (but this line was really long).

ETA - I read that the best time to go looking for characters is late afternoon/dinner time as most little kids are done for the day. If you take a nap then head back to the parks this is supposed to be a good time to meet them. When we saw the characters in Epcot (donald had one other person in line as did pooh), it was right around 5:00.

The only Princess at the MK Cinderella breakfast is Cindi and you see her once when you walk in, the other char we saw were the fairy godmother, Alice, Mary Poppins..and a few others. But there aren't any of the other "Big"name princesses there. Epcot has a "Princess breakfast " and all of the big ones are there. Just so you know and aren't disappointed when you get there.

We had to forgo the princess breakfast because it was too much $$$ for our family of 6 (and because last time we did it no one ate anything and were hungry 30 minutes later). But with a little planning we ended up getting everyones autograph. Toon Town also has a tent dedicated to the Princesses and Faries. There are 2 separate lines so it is hard to do them both on the same day. We lined up at 9:30 at the rope into toon town and still had to wait 40 minutes to get in to the Princesses, but it was worth every minute. The princess (Cindi, Belle, Arura) took time with my 3 daughters and I have some great pictures! We did the Faries the next day and had to wait 1 hour despite being there right at rope drop, and I must say I was a bit let down. I guess my kids are just not as into tink as the others.

We hit Arial's Gratto (across from Dumbo) after the Princesses and waited 15 min, again very worth the wait. And we saw Snow White in Germany in Epcot.

Lastly, we went to the dance party form 7-10 at DHS and the Char. are there to dance, no signing autographs, and they weren't taking individual pictures with kids, although I do have some fun shots of my kids dancing near the char.

We've had really good luck at EPCOT!!!!
There is an indoor character meeting spot there (waiting in the AC), we usually end up having a 15 min wait or so, but then you get to meet all the big names Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, sometimes Chip/Dale.
Also - a lot of the princesses are in their respective countries (Mulan, Jasmine, Snow White, Belle, Aurora), and I have never seen a long line for them.
Pooh characters in the toy shop in England - typically short wait in AC!

The only Princess at the MK Cinderella breakfast is Cindi and you see her once when you walk in, the other char we saw were the fairy godmother, Alice, Mary Poppins..and a few others. But there aren't any of the other "Big"name princesses there. Epcot has a "Princess breakfast " and all of the big ones are there. Just so you know and aren't disappointed when you get there.

Hmm...that's weird. CRT (cindy breakfast at MK) *normally* has all the big princesses - Jasmine, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, and Snow White. This is also who is typically there during lunch. Sometimes there could be a random character there instead of one of the princesses, but it is almost always the princesses. Dinner is just Cindy downstairs and then upstairs Suzy and Perla (the mice) literallly run by the tables and the fairy godmother puts on a show. Your experience seems to be very abnormal for Cinderella's Royal Table. That was unfortunate. :(

Lastly, we went to the dance party form 7-10 at DHS and the Char. are there to dance, no signing autographs, and they weren't taking individual pictures with kids, although I do have some fun shots of my kids dancing near the char.

Do you mean the dance parties at MK for the MNSSHP? Or is there something I'm missing at DHS?

I would highly recommend going to the rope for toontown before it drops. Maybe at least 20 mins before. Parking a stroller slows you down so I parked mine at the Teacups and left it there! When the rope drops go stright to Tinkerbell. Even at this you will still have to wait. Then we went straight to the princess line. No wait here as everyone goes straight to the Fairies. Then we went to Mickey and saw Minnie and Mickey together. Bit of wait here but we got them all done in an hour.

Do you mean the dance parties at MK for the MNSSHP? Or is there something I'm missing at DHS?

At DHS on EMH nights they have a Dance Party for the kids in the Playhouse Disney building. We did it last time w/ our kids and want to do it again this time. Here are a few pics I have of it. Goofy was tall and I got bumped, so please excuse the missing part of his face.

m_299bd19072a14742be260a32fe836d63.jpg
m_78a60e9c44064464bb23e2dea21f4c69.jpg
m_7d0e532cf6d2496e8162b42a68720bc1.jpg

We also found meeting Mickey was easiest at AK, but it wasnt one of our fav parks. But, there are a lot of characters out b4 you go in there.

Hmm...that's weird. CRT (cindy breakfast at MK) *normally* has all the big princesses - Jasmine, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, and Snow White. This is also who is typically there during lunch. Sometimes there could be a random character there instead of one of the princesses, but it is almost always the princesses. Dinner is just Cindy downstairs and then upstairs Suzy and Perla (the mice) literallly run by the tables and the fairy godmother puts on a show. Your experience seems to be very abnormal for Cinderella's Royal Table. That was unfortunate. :(

Yep, definitely big name princesses at CRT breakfast. We saw Jasmine, Aurora, Snow White and Belle. It was Akershus that we got Mary Poppins which i thought was a bit odd with her not being a princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter