How strict on height requirements??

joloco

Mouseketeer
I know the height restrictions for the big coasters. It's going to be close for my 8 year old. If he's 53 1/2 will they say no .... or is it just luck. Just curios. He loved RNR and was soooo hoping to grow a little bigger. But hey we still have six weeks.

It depends on the operator if they are allowing streatching. You might be able to get the extra 1/2" by having them stand straght up and straich without standing up on their toes. With 6 more weeks that might even have him at 54". Are you measuring him with shoes on and are they the same one that he will be wearing at the park.

I am an older person (15) but when I was younger, just walk on the ride like you own the place. Don't go up to the little pole unless they ask you. Mostly they will not care.

get that boy on the rack right now and start stretching!!!:D

Last trip to WDW I used it as an excuse to get my daughter to drink milk and it worked! You could always get him those shoes with the big tall thick soles!

On Hulk, the ride op has a stick, and that stick is to measure kids. I've seen a ride op get someone out of the train, measure them, and send them to the baby swap side. On the exit side of hulk, most people cut thru where the tv monitors are where you look at your ride picture. That's a way to bypass the height inspection, but they can still get you at the train. Same with Deuling Dragons, they would still check at the train because you can go down the exit side bypassing the guard, then get back into the regular queue by going up some steps.

The best shoes to buy are Sketchers at a sporting goods store like the Sports Authroity. They're the popular brand these days, and they have a large back heel. Buy the shoes 1 size bigger so they are not tight, then have the kid wear thick socks. Yes, these shoes cost alot of money, but the kid will like them, that's why you buy 1 size big.

I'm sure that in 6 weeks, he'll grow.

We have the same situation, taking a friend who is right at 54". We'll tell her mom to buy the Sketchers.

Right up front I have to say I'm sorry, but I have to say this. There's a very valid reason that there are minimum height restrictions on these aggressive rides. To intentionally try to beat the system is exposing your child to potentially serious risks that could be life altering. And if that were to happen, you have no recourse back to the park or the ride manufacturer.

Let the child enjoy the experience when it is their time in life to do so. Don't push it!. Each child has many "firsts" in their life, don't let this be a "last" as well. It happens when you least expect it.

Thanks Earl...
It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

:cool:
Suz
(whose son is too tall for the pterandon flyers and too short for deuling dragons and that suits me just fine...:eek: )

My son was out of his mind to go on MIB last year when he was 41 1/2 inches tall with shoes. He wore a baseball cap and went on several times without a problem. The next day, a supervisor stopped the ride after we sat down for him to be measured while everyone else waited. Sure enuf, 41 1/2 inches without the hat. He was easily the youngest, skinniest kid on the ride. I told the CM, "Listen he's already been on the ride a few times. " She said, " OK, I'll just say he measured 42 inches!"

Needless to say, this is his all-time favorite ride and we're going back in May. He's 43 inches now, thank goodness.

(whose son is too tall for the pterandon flyers and too short for deuling dragons and that suits me just fine... )

Suz - sorry babe, that's just not possible...

Whalewatcher...that ride attendant was WAY out of line...that's for sure. If the child isn't tall enough, and they knew this then they are really, really stupid to lie!

Earl's right...but if they're going to have height requirements, I hope that they don't cut it THAT close to not account for different styles of shoes! My older son is tall enough for everything when he's wearing sneakers but not in his sandals...they have different soles. So I would hope that they have some leeway with regard to safety!!!

And Foyboy...trying to be sneaky is dangerous and foolish. They WILL pull kids off the ride and measure them, as they should...I'd rather my kids be safe than sorry!

Karen

How about a 39" kid on Hanna Barberra or ET? And if not, is it worth doing the stationary seating, or better to skip it?

Originally posted by MsDisney
Suz - sorry babe, that's just not possible...

I know it SHOULD not be possible, and that is what I told them as they pulled us off the blue dragon, held him up against the pole and told me he could not ride.
Actually we had waited a while on line and you know kids with autism can get since they just don't get the concept of waiting. I think one of the ride attendants noticed John Henry was fussing about me taking off his flip-flops, or they got nervous about him coming out of a wheelchair- (which you know I only make him sit in so he doesn't run off- but they don't know that) so the height thing was a thinly veiled excuse for them not wanting to deal with his autism. They pulled him out of his seat and held the stick up about 2 feet away from him real quick before I could see and said sorry, no go.
I was not crazy about the idea of riding the coaster myself in the first place so I did not make an issue out of it. I did tell them, however, that if he was too tall for the fliers they should use the same ruler on the dragons, and as I was leaving mumbled loudly about them not liking autistic kids. Such is life
:rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone... I'm still hoping he grows 1/2 inch. We were measuring with regular gym shoes, but probably will invest in the sketchers, since he needs a new pair anyway. There's still time, so maybe he'll grow and everything will be fine. Can't wait....first time.

Suzy...
So you're telling me that your son is over 56 inches...which is 2 inches OVER the dragon height, and this happened??? I would definitely have made an issue over it!!!

I knew you know what you're talking about...but without knowing the story, it seemed odd that your son could be OVER 56 inches and UNDER 54 inches all at the same time!!!

That's just not right at all...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Karen

To be perfectly honest I have never measured his height nor did I note the requirements when we were turned away from both rides. I am 5'2½" (63 inches when I practice good posture:) )and he comes to my chin so I would think he probably fall right in between that 54" and 56" level, which actually should mean that he can ride both, but I guess the final decision is up to the ride attendant (when they measured him @ the blue dragon he was barefoot too, and like I said they never really stood him up against the pole- at the fliers I never saw a measuring device they just said he was too big and I didn't fight it).
Like Earl says I would not want to debate our way onto a ride and then have him get hurt, although I am sure the limit is carefully chosen with plenty of "just in case" room in mind. I guess that is one of the reasons John Henry prefers Universal while CJ loves IOA...
Which brings to mind another question, I have seen petite and frail looking teenagers that look as though they would slip between the restraints and robust 7 year olds that look almost twice their age.Should they be riding? And what about adults that are extremely short in stature? Is the yardstick really the only judge of ride safety?
:pinkbounc

the smileys are back hooray!
:jester:

Suzy,
I wouldn't want to debate an issue regarding safety if it was a judgement call, but if the child is tall enough, or short enough, as the case may be...then I would. I guess you have to check it at the paddles out in front to get a better idea...

Of course, The 56" thing for the flyers isn't even about safety, it's about crowd control...

I am sure that with the harness systems and restraints, that height would be the deciding factor for safety...I wouln't much think if you're tall enough, that body structure would enter into it...but that's just my thought on it. Some rides I've seen have an age limit as well...like you MUST be 3 to ride, AND 40 inches or something...

Karen

I HAVE TO SAY THIS: WHEN WE WERE IN WDW LAST TIME , MY DAUGHTER WAS TO SMALL TO RIDE SPACE MOUNTAIN,,THEY STOPPED US AT THE ENTRANCE,,THEN WE WENT ON UP TO DO PARENT SWAP AND THEY PUT US RIGHT ON THE RIDE ,,INCLUDING MY DAUGHTER WHO WAS NOT TALL ENOUGH.
WE THOUGHT OH GREAT THIS IS AWSOME!
BUT MY HUSBAND HAD A HECK OF A TIME TRYING TO HOLD HER IN .
HE WAS RIDING BEHIND HER...... SCARYYYYYYYYY
WE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!
HE COULD NOT WAIT TILL THAT RIDE WAS OVER. YIKES!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter