How rough of a ride is Matterhorn for kids?

Keyframer30

Animator and Disneyphile
I've been reading that Matterhorn is a pretty rough ride....bruised legs and such. My kid is just over 42 inches (minimum height requirement)...at that size, would he get thrown around a lot and banged up? Should I have him wait till he gets bigger/older before he rides Matterhorn?

Thanks in advance!

My kid is a fair bit taller than yours (closer to 52") but loved it. We rode it repeatedly a couple of weeks ago.

I tend to agree with @DLRExpert . I used to like it, but as I got older (a lot older), I just didn't enjoy all the bouncing around. But for your son, it probably depends more on his disposition than on his height. Is he the kind of kid who shakes off bumps and bruises and just keeps going? If so, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If he's more on the timid side, and you could see it hampering his good time at Disneyland if he gets banged around a little, then discretion might be in order.

DS11 and DS9 will ride it. DS9 just covers his eyes most of the time until I tell him no more Yeti! Haha!!

I pop a couple advil about an hour before going on it, it's got a few fairly jarring bumps, at least for adults.

Our 7yo grandson LOVES Matterhorn. He would ride it continually if he could. That being said, he's our adventurous one... He got freaked out at Harold the yeti until we explained he was just telling , "Hi!"

I think it's personality more than anything! They are in a seatbelt, so they are completely safe. It's just if they are adventurous or not!

I really think kids would have less trouble than adults. It’s bumpy, but I really love the Matterhorn. It’s a classic.

Have you been on SM at WDW? Because it’s better than that. They’re similarly bumpy, but I find SM to be worse because it’s in the dark and you can’t see where you’re going in order to brace yourself.

My kids have never complained about the bumpiness, but the Abominable snowman freaks them out! They were fine before the refurb, but the new Yeti is a bit intense!
That thing freaked me out 30 years ago, back when only one of the tracks saw him. I still won't go on the ride!

My 5 year old who was about 44-45” last year loved it. She loves to yell “Here comes the yeti!” As we get started. I can only handle one or two rides in a week. You’ve really got to brace yourself on the turns. I don’t think she even notices though.

On any coaster (and rides such as Indiana Jones/Dinosaur for that matter), safety of course is paramount and you must be able to support your own body and be able to brace yourself, using handrails, safety bars etc eher available and appropriate.

However, do not grip so tightly and tense your muscles so that your body is stiff. You will feel every single jarrring bump and kink, radiated through your arms and body as an extension of the ride vehicle if yor are so tense that there is no flexion.

The trick is a happy medium that gives you safety and security but flexible enough so that your arms effectively act as shock absorber. Basically, relax.

I love the ride but it's true that you feel the bumps a lot more as you get older. I sometimes don't feel them at all and at others, I really do. I'm not sure what the difference is but as many have already said, it doesn't usually bother kids too much. My kids never minded the bumpiness and, in fact, enjoyed being jerked around, ha ha. I remember riding it with dread with my sister when I was a kid and keeping my eyes closed the whole way because I was afraid of the usual things that scare kids on coasters (height, speed, turns, etc), but bumpiness wasn't an issue. I've heard it's bumpier now than when I was a kid, which was when the ride was pretty new and set up differently, but I can't remember if it's different, to be honest. I do know that I have friends and family members who won't ride because they're larger or have joint/pain/other injury issues. I think being smaller is actually an advantage on Matterhorn, as I'm older but on the small side. One thing that occasionally happens to me, though, is that rides like roller coasters can now trigger migraines for me if it's jarring. Both Matterhorn and Incredicoaster can do this occasionally. Getting old is a pain :D

I used to love the ride. My kids used to love the ride. Now, only my youngest (22) will ride it and not very often. I think the bumpiness has a fun feel to it when young. The older we get, the less fun it is.

And I agree with the Yeti. Loved the ride my entire life until the latest Yeti. That thing reaches down makes a scary face. :crazy2:

I feel like I'm 96 years old when I get off that ride because it hurts my back. But I always ride it...

My granddaughter started riding it at 3. At 8, she still loves it. Me, no way. So, she goes single rider and tells the CM she needs to go to the Fantasyland side as that is where Grandma is waiting.

I'm one of the ones that still enjoy the ride. I'd encourage your kids to try it, and if they decide afterwards that it's too much, at least they know what to expect. My daughter has been going on it since she was three. My son needed an additional couple of years before he would try it, and then found out he loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter