How old would your kids have to be for you to take them solo?

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering when it would be reasonable to take my 2 kiddos back alone.

They are currently 20 months and 5 years old. The 5 yr old is a total breeze, but I wouldn't attempt it now due to how challenging toddler travel is (just getting them out our front door, doing the plane, and finding our checked bags to bring them to the Mears Connect bus *WITH* my husband's help was VERYYYY tiring -- bring back Magical Express!!!!).

Kiddos are 3.5 years apart.

How old would your youngest have to be for you to consider taking them solo?

Context: I just returned from a great trip to the Poly and can't wait to return with my family. Trouble is that hubby has like, 10 total vacation days while I have unlimited PTO. He's also not a huge Disney fan.

I don't have an answer for you, but won't you have issues going on rides? Some rides you can fit three across, but others are one and one. Your 5 year old in a year or two is going to want to do the big rides

Personally, I'd wait until they were both fully potty-trained, at the very least, and if possible until they were both old enough to understand fully the importance of making sure they always know where you are and for you to always know where they are as well.

Depends a lot on the kids.
Does it have to be solo? Would it work if grandma/grandpa/nanny came with? (With the explicit understanding that they're expected to pitch in for childcare of course.)

I have that same age gap.

I would not even attempt to travel with both of them by myself for something more than a day trip until the youngest was 5. But she's a wild child and the older one is more compliant....

I took my twins to DL almost every week by myself when they were in preschool, so probably 4 years old? We didn’t bring a stroller and just went at their pace. If it was a 2 across ride I’d sit with my daughter since she’s more timid and my son would ride with a stranger, we never had a problem.

Probably would be difficult if you take both kids. Kid has to be 7 to ride without someone else. So in 2 years, the eldest can ride solo with you with the younger one.
That’s only to send them on the ride alone. If they’re under 7 they can ride in a separate row. We’ve done it many times at Disney and WDW when it was just me and 2 kids under 7.

I do see that OPs youngest is still under 2 so yes, I agree it might be hard with the age gap if the younger one can’t ride the bigger rides. Maybe wait until he/she is tall enough for Splash/BTMRR? By then your older one may be old enough to ride Space solo if it’s important to him/her.

Last edited:
I did it once for a few days when the kids were 7ish and 9ish, about to turn 8 and 10, I think. 2 years and a bit age gap. It was a trip we had planned for all 4 of us, but DH got a new job and his last day at his old job overlapped with the trip, so he joined us a few days into it.

It's key to be stroller and diaper free. And DS can safely go to the men's room by himself, etc. Also, it's important that the kids be 7 and over, so they can do rides alone. I'll admit that I was a lot freer with snacks/junk food and toys/souvenirs. I ended up having to check luggage on the way home..... everything was carry-on on the way out. I was very happy to just give in and get them stuff when they fussed, they won't fuss like that with DH around.

I'm wondering when it would be reasonable to take my 2 kiddos back alone.

They are currently 20 months and 5 years old. The 5 yr old is a total breeze, but I wouldn't attempt it now due to how challenging toddler travel is (just getting them out our front door, doing the plane, and finding our checked bags to bring them to the Mears Connect bus *WITH* my husband's help was VERYYYY tiring -- bring back Magical Express!!!!).

Kiddos are 3.5 years apart.

How old would your youngest have to be for you to consider taking them solo?

Context: I just returned from a great trip to the Poly and can't wait to return with my family. Trouble is that hubby has like, 10 total vacation days while I have unlimited PTO. He's also not a huge Disney fan.
So much depends on the personality and maturity level of the child. Years ago we took our eight year old. He so disliked Disney because of the lines. We ended up three days at Wet and Wild Water Park. This was back in the day so the other days were good for life that were attached to the WDW ticket. He never went back until he was an adult - and loved it.

18 and 21 lol

Seperately, I'd take each of them now at 8&10. On their own they are amazingly well behaved children. Together they are like feral cats trapped in a box together. They are gonna need to be a little older before I'm willing to deal with them on my own someplace like Disney. Or the younger brother is going to have to step up and knock older brother on his butt a few times so he'll stop being such a jerk to him.

18 and 21 lol

Seperately, I'd take each of them now at 8&10. On their own they are amazingly well behaved children. Together they are like feral cats trapped in a box together. They are gonna need to be a little older before I'm willing to deal with them on my own someplace like Disney. Or the younger brother is going to have to step up and knock older brother on his butt a few times so he'll stop being such a jerk to him.
Your post made me smile!!! Know just what you are talking about!! Have a good day! :) :) :)

I would want the youngest to be tall enough to ride most of the rides the oldest would want to and the oldest to be able to be okay with the fact that they might not be able to ride everything because of the height/temperament of their sibling. Also, one of the kids needs to be tall enough/strong enough of a swimmer that you are not actively/closely watching them in the pool.

My kids are 2.5 years apart. I would not have hesitated to take them on my own at 9 & 6.5, but 7 & 4.5 would have been a no go mainly based on temperament, stamina and height.

18 and 21 lol

LOL I know exactly what you mean!!!!

As a single mom with kids 2 years apart I started taking them at 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. We only did rides and shows where we could all sit together and since they didn't know any different, they didn't miss anything! There was still plenty to do at each park and time for playgrounds and swimming. This also gave us time to work up to more rides as the years went on. I had a lightweight sit and stand type stroller that folded easily had a carrying strap and could stand on its own when folded. Used a lightweight backpack instead of a diaper bag and as the kids got older they wore a small fanny pack to carry a few small toys and snacks.

Avoid buffets and plan carefully for quick serve as balancing a try and two young kids can be challenging, a sit down lunch worked for me as we could cool down and take a break for a while.

If your already used to going to the park/zoo museum with them then the transition should be easy, if not take a few trips and see how much you enjoy the smaller trips before you decide on a bigger trip.

18 and 21 lol

Ha! I know exactly what you mean! I haven’t taken them alone yet but I could see myself doing it at 8 and 10 (they’re now just turned 9 and almost 7).

I also think it's different if you have to fly vs drive. If you live in day trip driving distance it's one thing, if you're flying (and possibly changing planes) that's a whole different can of worms in my opinion.

I do all the kid watching at Disney so I wouldn’t hesitate to take my 3 kids myself. I pack, feed them, make sure they have changes of clothes, etc. Why not? I’ve flown with them before too and that was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter