How old is too old

I don't think there's a to old ... but, whenever travelling alone, no matter what your age is, it's probably a good idea to leave detailed plans with your loved ones and check in often!

So, at this point, hopefully you’ve come to conclusion of “YOU DO YOU”!

As long as you’re confident you can deal with a few curveballs (and some oddballs), go!
Disney is a magical place, and yes, a somewhat sheltered place.

Tell them all you are trying to decide between WDW, Toyoko, and NYC…

I think that's wonderful! Take normal precautions for traveling alone- whether you are 24 or 74 share your itinerary with family, have a couple of check in times and keep your insurance info with you. It helps to make the travel less stressful. Please feel free to share your January plans- I would love to hear what you decide- so many good choices.

As we say in NYC, not for nothin', but ... why do you care what other people think? It's one of the joys of getting older than you can do whatever you darn well please & thumb your nose at other people.

I hope you visited WDW & had a blast!

My mother is 73. I took her with me on a road trip from Canada to WDW and then a couple of days ago, put her on a plane to the UK to visit my brother. After 10 days there, she is going on another plane (solo) to Turkey for a whirlwind half day tour (compliments of Turkish Airlines) and then on to our home country where she will visit with relatives for 2 months before flying (solo) back to me in Canada.

She is very capable and an experienced traveller. Admittedly a little bit more anxious this trip vs her last solo trip 4 years ago - but I mostly attribute that to getting too lazy living with me lol. I went through everything with her and we made sure she had insurance, discussed communications, etc etc and she is off!

I did convince her to use wheelchair assist at the airports from about 66/67 and that made travelling wayyyy less stressful for her.

At 70, you’re a spring chicken!

It is said that age is just a number. Trust me, until i'm called on the scene (last responder), it's never too late to enjoy yourself.

You are more experienced than many others - you can take WDW trips with your eyes closed.

Keep going - you know your health and will know when to stop - who cares what others think (are you having medical issues? if not, your next trip is no different than the last one).

As everyone suggested, always keep with you insurance information, medications list (if any), emergency contact, where you are staying and let your family know of your plans.

Keep enjoying those trips.

Do what you are comfortable with. I've been going solo to disney since my 50s. I'll be there solo in April just after my 66th birthday. I don't even pay attention when people make comments to me about going to Disney solo at my age. I enjoy it so that's all that matters.

This conversation is eye opening. I'm 74 (75 in July), I have lower back issues but have never thought of myself as old, until I read through this thread. I have a lot of things, prostate cancer, pinched nerves, sleep apnea, pacemaker and more but until today I never really considered myself old, just not as young as I once was. I have pushed through many things in my life and I know I cannot stop the grim reaper, but I refuse to focus on that. The nerve problem is the only thing right now that prevents me from doing some things, but I'm supposed to have a lower back vertebrae fusion this spring and my expectations are that after whatever physical therapy is involved I will once again be able to play golf and travel comfortably. I, of course, am not absolutely sure how much the surgery will help, but they do promise spectacular results and I am going to go with that thought.

Do what you are comfortable with. I've been going solo to disney since my 50s. I'll be there solo in April just after my 66th birthday. I don't even pay attention when people make comments to me about going to Disney solo at my age. I enjoy it so that's all that matters.
My last visit I was 71, just previous to Covid. I actually get a kick out of some of the reactions when I tell them I'm here solo. "Well, what do you do here? Are there many rides you can go on at your age?" When I reply, yes there are! All of them! One time I had just gotten off Splash Mountain and my shirt had some wet spots and they were astonished that "a man of your age" could still ride that without needing to get health care right after. It's fun to impress people especially when what you did was normal for you and certainly not impressive. Youth is wasted on the young. Like I said in the video by Toby Keith... "Don't let the old man (or woman) in".

Last edited:
My last visit I was 71, just previous to Covid. I actually get a kick out of some of the reactions when I tell them I'm here solo. "Well, what do you do here? Are there many rides you can go on at your age?"
Fortunately, no one's ever asked me if there were many rides I could go on "at my age". I'll admit I skip BTMRR, FoP, EE, and rides with moving walkways. That leaves plenty I can do, and I will!

Fortunately, no one's ever asked me if there were many rides I could go on "at my age". I'll admit I skip BTMRR, FoP, EE, and rides with moving walkways. That leaves plenty I can do, and I will!
The only one I skip is Space Mountain and that is mostly because, at my age, it is difficult to get out of the vehicles. I also only use the green side of Mission: Space since I had the pacemaker installed otherwise I would be set of the orange side of that. If there are others it is simply because I don't really care for them, not because they are a physical problem.

for solo travel? I've taken over 25 solo trips over the years, but now that I've passed my 70th birthday, I've started getting different looks about me traveling solo, not just the usual "You're going alone to WDW? What do you do there?" I have a neuromuscular condition, so I use an ECV, but otherwise my health is fine. It seems some people think that at my age, I shouldn't travel alone. Is it odd? Should I maybe think twice?
Do not think twice. Go while the going is good. Another option for you is a Disney Cruise. You will be seated with others and there is so much to enjoy on board and they have a doctor on board if needed. Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter