How old is too old

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
for solo travel? I've taken over 25 solo trips over the years, but now that I've passed my 70th birthday, I've started getting different looks about me traveling solo, not just the usual "You're going alone to WDW? What do you do there?" I have a neuromuscular condition, so I use an ECV, but otherwise my health is fine. It seems some people think that at my age, I shouldn't travel alone. Is it odd? Should I maybe think twice?

for solo travel? I've taken over 25 solo trips over the years, but now that I've passed my 70th birthday, I've started getting different looks about me traveling solo, not just the usual "You're going alone to WDW? What do you do there?" I have a neuromuscular condition, so I use an ECV, but otherwise my health is fine. It seems some people think that at my age, I shouldn't travel alone. Is it odd? Should I maybe think twice?
Sounds to me that other people are projecting their biases onto you, even if they may mean well by it. Travel as long as you are able.

No, anybody giving you stinkeye is the odd (and rude) one, not you.

I'm in that bracket and will jolly well travel anywhere I wish to go that's feasible physically and otherwise.

It's no one else's <very non-Disney language> business.

I'm finding I've become more anxious and cautious with advancing age. After all, the older you are, the closer you're getting to the inevitable without the luxury of dismissing such fears as readily. Reality may suddenly present you with a health catastrophe at any time, more likely at our age than not.

Are you perhaps projecting some fears you yourself may have due to what-if thinking? That possibility might be worth exploring. :hug:

If you're comfortable traveling solo, enjoy it regardless. I'm in my mid-40s and the only reason I can't is because I have seizures, so it's preferable if someone is with me just in case.

Perhaps they are jealous. :rolleyes:

It seems some people think that at my age, I shouldn't travel alone. Is it odd? Should I maybe think twice?

Traveling to WDW is not exactly heading off into the wilderness by yourself. And you are an experienced traveller. You know what to be prepared for.

If I might be bold, you'll know when it is time to stop. Is your question about thinking twice coming only from others or have the comments triggered something in you?

I recently confronted a similar decision. I decided to sell my motorcycle. At 72 and after a couple of major surgeries I realized I just wasn't going to safely enjoy riding anymore. Wasn't an easy decision but it was time.

Edited to add.... But traveling to WDW... no problem!

To heck with what others think. I agree, you will know when you don’t feel comfortable going solo. As long as you feel your health is good enough and you can safely travel alone, go for it!!!

Simple gauge... from a Toby Keith song called "Don't let the old man in". The most significant phrase in the song is "ask yourself how old you would be if you didn't know the day you were born." That will truthfully tell you when you are to old.

I think you're fine to travel solo to WDW with an ECV. Elsewhere, I'd think twice but at WDW I'd feel safe. I'm 65, in good health and travel solo regularly, to Disney parks and elsewhere. However, I do think twice about where and when I go, even locally, because I have gray hair and realize I could be taken as an easy mark. For more adventurous travel I recently discovered Road Scholars, an organization that caters to seniors and offers trips worldwide--I'll be traveling with them for hiking and international trips. But I have no qualms about doing DL and WDW solo!

I just think solo travelers of any age just need to have thought through what happens if they get stuck or get sick away and they are alone. Do you have a plan or support network to help if needed? How much can you handle on your own? Everyone’s answer to that is different. WDW is an easy solo place to me because it’s in the US and I’m familiar enough with the Orlando area that I could deal with most emergencies on my own or friends/family could help out if a really unusual or tragic scenario happened. Emergency health care and travel nightmares are all things I can deal with in Orlando. I’d be much more hesitant to travel abroad in country I don’t speak the language, however. Unless my health gets a ton worse, I imagine I’ll make WDW trips into my 70’s! And as long as you are a comfortable ECV driver, I don’t think that complicates travel at WDW because it’s designed for it.

My MIL loves Road Scholars. Her husband does not like to travel as much as her so it’s an easy way for her to do group travel and not be targeted as that solo elderly lady.

To old is also known as dead and that can happen at any age. As long as you enjoy it, what you do or don't do is no ones business and shouldn't matter what to you what others think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter