• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How often do people get sea sick?

The ships are very large and have stabilizers, most never get sick. Sometimes we play a game where the winner is the first person who can identify when the ship starts moving. However, if they are calling for high seas then some will get sick. I've sailed about 20 days and only 1 night was rough. If someone is planning on taking any meds, I advise trying it for a few days before sailing. You don't want to be a zombie while everyone else is having fun. Even "non" drowse medicine effects many people.

If you ask me the overeating and overdrinking many do on cruises, along with lack of movement is probably a cause of why some get " sea sick". I think people tend to post the negative and bad experience on line.. So you will see " I got sea sick" more than " I wasnt sick the whole trip"...

A short caribbean sailing is safe as one is not on the ship for days on end in high seas... so worse case you are off the boat a bit... and there is medication on board.. I personally would not medicate beforehand for a just in case... if one has no known motion sickness... a PP commented looking at the horizon can cause,, I disagree all my sailing friends say look at the horizon and "see" the movement... its like sitting in the front of the car,, one less sick than in the back where you feel the movement.

If it moves, I'm going to get sick in or on it. I didn't realize that the first go around and my parents gave me one of their patches. Worked great. The second cruise I took a natural ginger pill by mistake instead of a dramamine and the first night was rough for me (we also sailed out in between two hurricanes so that did not help anything). After the first night though I was fine and it was all very smooth waters. I basically strap up when I go. I take Dramamine, Bonine, and an oil for behind my ears to help.

I've invited my SO to join me on a Halloween on The High Seas DCL with my DS. She's excited about joining but has never been on a cruise. She'd like to know if people get sea sick often on the ships or if that's not really something to worry about. Any thoughts or advice?
DM gets motion sick very easily and had almost no problems on our cruise. She did notice the motion once or twice, but it never caused any issues. My cousin actually did get nauseous a few times, I think those pressure wristbands helped her when she did.

My DW always gets the scopalamine patches from her doctor when we go on a cruise. Just make sure you wash your hands after touching them if you get them - that stuff can mess up your eyes if it gets in them. You also need to limit alcohol intake with those.

We've done the Wonder twice, Carnival Imagination (which was just scrapped last month) once, and Oasis of the Seas once. Only time I ever felt seasick was on the Imagination when they spent the whole day going in a big circle. Oasis of the Seas is so big you hardly feel any movement. On the Wonder we felt the motion, but it was always very gentle and not nausea inducing.

I'd never had motion sickness before, but the first night on the cruise ship I was wrecked. I had packed meds, ginger candy, and bands just in case. The rest of the cruise, I popped a couple ginger candies in the afternoon and evenings and was just fine.

It's definitely a situation where it's hard to predict how you'll do. Be prepared, take something if you need it, and enjoy your cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter