How necessary are Express passes?

Really don't think they're necessary based on our experience. Unless you want to do the most popular rides all day (probably 2 in each park). Also depends on the season. We've never gotten them and have never suffered through lines that were too long. Definitely not worth getting a deluxe hotel

We always get at least 2 days of express passes. The cost of one night at a premier is so worth it. My daughter is on the spectrum so the reduced wait times are essential.

I’m doing the same. Right now the rates for my dates keep going up. I reserved at $350. How far before your reservation date did the rates start going down?
I just checked my email and I booked on 1/30 for a 2/14-18 stay. I probably checked for a month before that and continued to check up until a week out.

We’ll be down there and have 7 Express passes we won’t be able to use on Feb. 22. We got two rooms at Loews for the express passes but will be going to Disney on 2nd day and so r be able to use them. If anyone is interested in the passes let me know.

We, (family of 4 have APs, plus my sister for a total of 5) are going in March also. 20-26 (6 nights), and we are not getting EPs nor paying the much higher premier resort costs, $700 per night, cheapest during that week. We reserved a 2 bdrm at Surfside and our TA was able to get a package discount because my sister needed a ticket all for $1450:) This will be or 5th trip to US and we have only used EPs once and, for us, it was nice but not "all that" and definitely would not pay $700 for 1 night at a premier just to get it for 2 days. Especially since we will be at the parks for 3-4 days and we will not have any problems getting everything in that we want to do, even multiple times. If I was going just for 1 night, then I would pay the higher premier resort price to get EPs. Plus, our favorite 2 rides are not covered by the EP. We also do not have any issue waiting in a 60 minute line either, so if you do, then you may want to pay $$$$ for EPs.

Express passes recently went up $10 for the period 3/6-3/10, to $150-$160 for 2-park Unlimited. So you may want to lock in soon if you're going in March.

I didn’t watch it yet, but this might be useful… Dis Unplugged just posted this about if Universal Express is necessary
ETA: Haha watching it now and they stated they’re answering this question due to a thread on Disboards… maybe this particular one.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch it yet, but this might be useful… Dis Unplugged just posted this about if Universal Express is necessary
ETA: Haha watching it now and they stated they’re answering this question due to a thread on Disboards… maybe this particular one.
It was useful. I didn’t know Bourne stuntacular and Horror make up show had express. I think this Spring Break will be very busy, so I’m glad it’s an option. We only have after 4 express, but it works well with going early and taking a midday break.

It was useful. I didn’t know Bourne stuntacular and Horror make up show had express. I think this Spring Break will be very busy, so I’m glad it’s an option. We only have after 4 express, but it works well with going early and taking a midday break.
That’s exactly what we do too… the after 4 express. Nice peace of mind when not staying deluxe. Single rider line has also become our friend, especially after visiting frequently.

We’ll be down there and have 7 Express passes we won’t be able to use on Feb. 22. We got two rooms at Loews for the express passes but will be going to Disney on 2nd day and so r be able to use them. If anyone is interested in the passes let me know.
If you can’t use your ep, they are non transferable to others

And you can not use this board to advertise an exchange of them to non hotel guests

Loews Hotels policy must be followed.
Perks are for registered guests and are non transferable

Please, no comments on this so the thread can stay open
Thread will be closed if this becomes a public discussion

You might want to do the $9 subscription to touringplans.com Universal plans to help you decide whether to get EPs or not. I did that, started with their plans, customized them, and did plans both with and without EPs. That's what I did to help me decide. For our one park to park day, March 22nd, with EP it looked like a fun day. Without EP for just the one day at the busy time and for what we wanted to do, it didn't even look like it would be worth going -- way too many super long lines.

On the cost side, I feel your pain OP. We have a party of 11 going to Orlando and four wanted to do one Park to Park Universal/IOA day. A throw away room at Lowes Royal Pacific for one night was $745 a night (ouch - $186.25 pp). With just the one day, the gang aren't interested in doing repeat rides. A one time express pass (pass that only lets you do any EP rides once for the day) was $130 pp, so in our case a less expensive way to go. We do though going this way forgo the early entry perk too and we are just doing one day not two. With two days if you decide on the EP, you might want to do the throw away room as one room for one night gets two days of unlimited EPs for four people.

We are all staying together in lovely offsite condos for the week (offsite lodging has always been a great deal in Orlando for cost for quality IMHO). And we all prefer to stay together and not move too. Ever since 1971 when Disney first opened and we started coming down (I was a kid then), Orlando has been overbuilt.

I am spending $345 pp for each of the four for a park to park ticket, one time express passes, and taxes. A more days at Universal trip isn't in the cards now or in the future for the four people either. The four 20 somethings I'm getting these tickets for love hanging out with other extended family who don't care for Universal and want to do other things on the week long trip that the whole gang wants to do too. They don't want to cut out SeaWorld, our Disney days, our nature days, our chill out days (relatives in the area and we are staying at a great resort too). I love that about the four, so did do a splurge for them in purchasing the one day tickets and EPs. So it's $1380 for four people to go to Universal for the day. Makes all our other days and activities look like a bargain in comparison. Of course, more time at Universal means a much lower cost per day if that's something you'd consider or want to do.

We've done a park to park day at less busy times on occasion, and had a great day without the EPs. Our last one day visit though was a good five years ago in November.

Spring break has just gotten so popular. That's been our experience at spring break for the last 15 years in Orlando. I can understand. Central Florida weather is usually just glorious in March, and anytime some schools are out crowds are always higher. Despite the high crowds, March is still my favorite time to go because of the weather. This year too there is a lot of pend up demand for travel, and many people who aren't ready to venture internationally yet are staying in the USA. (That's our family in case due to a positive COVID case someone can't get back home - we are doing Orlando instead of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for a spring trip for this very reason.) There are lots of people doing that I think, so no wonder our most popular USA national parks and theme parks are more crowded than ever.

Last edited:
I’m just back and, if you haven’t been since the reopening, you may be surprised at the crowds. I was there M-F before the biggest Spring Break crowds and it was a LOT busier than I’ve seen it in the past. Lines were over an hour for the headliner. Even with Express I waited 15-20 minutes for things that are usually walk-ons.

I wonder if you accidentally added on Express Passes on top of your hotel when you were looking at packages? People have made that mistake before!

But, I saw your update. If you can get that 3 days vs 2 then you will be fine without the EPs. :)

I do agree that Universal's ticket website is not user friendly. I have been trying to book too, and I keep checking for the same mistake.

The OP might not have made that mistake though. I was trying to buy tickets (not hotel -cannot find availability for RPR) for 2 days, EP for 3 people. It is around $1700! Just the tickets for two days! I keep thinking I have added something wrong...

We just came back from our first UO trip. Stayed at SF, no express passes. We did rope drop: be at park gate by 715, otherwise, RD not worth it. We walked on to velocicoaster at 8 am. But had to wait 100 mins for Hagrids. Waited in some other long lines (75 mins for the suess trolley with our 2yo was the most painful.) We had 4 park days so I figured we’d be able to do everything we wanted, and we did. With less time, if you guys like thrill rides, I might do the express. I thought a few of those rides a day was plenty, but the kids with us would have ridden roller coasters all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter