• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much should I budget for an Alaska sailing?

jourknee2master

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My family and I are looking to go on an Alaska cruise in 2024 to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday. We are all very excited but looking to budget for the expected cost. We are looking at getting 2 deluxe verandah staterooms. Dow anyone who sailed in 2023 have any feedback on how much we should budget for just the sailing? Any recommendations on the best time to sail or excursions would also be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how much it will help, but our budget for when we(my wife and I) went in May of 2022, we booked first day Silver with a On Board Booking discount and 25% canceled credit, we had a Deluxe Inside State room and it was around $3,800. Our total gratuities and excursions came to $1,625

The month you choose to go will also vary in price. Usually the first one or two cruises of the season (so late May) and the last one or two of the season (early to mid September) are the cheapest. Do you have any 10% placeholders? Two verandah rooms, you are looking at a lot of money. Look at the cruises for the dates you are considering on the website now (for the 2023 cruises) to get a general idea. Usually those prices have already gone up but it will at least give you an idea. We've done Alaska three times in 2017 and 2019 in verandahs and in 2022 in a standard inside. All cruises have been with an OBB and with 2 kids. In 2017 we paid approx $7700 for a mid ship deck 7 verandah at the end of August, in 2019 we sailed the same date range (end of August ending Labour day weekend) in a deck 8 aft verandah for $8800 and last year we sailed on deck 5 forward in a sideways inside room and with an OBB that was $8900. That cruise was a full month earlier than the other two, at the end of July.

Disney prices have enormous variation based on sailing date (early and late in the Alaska season will be thousands of dollars less than peak summer) and prices are not per room but per person, with the first two guests on each stateroom costing significantly more than the third or fourth. I’d encourage you to look at the official website at prices for alaska sailings this summer. For a verandah stateroom with 2 adults I am seeing around $8000 for a verandah most sailings and for for 2 adults 2 kids around 14,000.

Needless to say, you'll need to allow for airfare (depending on where coming from, plus baggage fees), parking at the airport, night-before hotel and possibly night-after hotel, pet/house sitter, transport to/from the ship from hotel or airport, tips (both required onboard and misc off site), wifi, fish extender (if doing that - definitely fun and can be any budget), Alaska clothing you don't already have, souvenirs, fancy onboard meals and liquor, or silly stuff like bingo, and excursions. Matching tshirts or something matching is just fun for photos ... you'll suck all the fun out if you do a spread sheet and total it but that's one way to do a budget ...

To be aware of for an Alaska cruise (re: costs):

• Hotels in Vancouver aren't cheap, but the port is right downtown, so tons of hotels to choose from within walking distance.
  • Public transit is really good, and there is rapid transit from the airport to downtown (where the port is, and hotels)
  • As with all Disney Cruises, be aware of the gratuities at the end of the cruise for the dining/room staff
  • Layers are the way to do clothing. Don't buy some crazy winter coat.
  • Rain is a way of life. A light rain jacket is a must. Even if it is sunny when you are getting off, have this in your day pack. Weather can (and will) change quick
  • Ketchikan and Skagway are both explorable on foot without tours if you want to save some $$
  • Skagway has several alternate excursion vendors that are much cheaper, and offer unique things (We did a Hike and Float up on the gold rush trail)
  • Juneau has the gondola to go up the cliffs right outside the port
  • Food is more expensive in Alaska. Eat on the ship or plan for spending a bit more than usual.
  • Have some binoculars, as you will want them for some of the wildlife.

We're looking at a 2025 one. I'm figuring about 20,000 for the four of us in a balcony room if we do Disney. It's why I keep wavering between cruise lines. I can do a lot cheaper on another line for Alaska. But, I don't want to not see those adorable characters. We're doing a Royal Caribbean cruise this winter and we're going to see if we love it as much as we love Disney and try to make our decision from there!

I looked at the NCL cruises to Alaska, they have a ship with HUMONGOUS front windows in the common area, I thought might be nice to appreciate the view if it's too cold outside. Looked cheaper, and if I recall had boarding in Seattle, which seemed simpler than Vancouver. But just my impressions, not speaking from experience.

Just put an NCL Encore AK cruise on hold for next May. Weighing what DH thinks. We were going to do LA and DL but I've been wanting to see AK for so long and we're not getting any younger. DH really wants to do LA. He did an overnight there for a business trip and now he wants to see more of it. I personally don't care to see it again except maybe for DL. AK would be a one-time-only trip for us so I feel if it isn't next year then it probably won't ever be. We could do both but oh the expense and also the time off he would need to take.

DCL cruise prices have been escalating faster than cost of living for years.

While travel costs have risen sharply this last year, I would expect the % increase in the cost of a Disney cruise to be bigger than that for a trip to LA.

And LA does give you more flexibility of dates - both in months and which day of the week to travel.

I’d pick AK first and still get him to LA - maybe for the next vacation.
:thanks:The more I've been thinking about it in the last 1/2 hour or so, the more I'm thinking the same. Both AK and LA would just be too much in one trip. It's not like taking a side trip to San Diego while visiting LA. It's quite a bit more of an investment in time and money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter