How much onboard credit do I need?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi! I want to buy discounted Disney gift cards at Target and load them into our onboard credit account... every little bit helps, right? :) I am trying to figure out how much to put in. Am I correct that all of these would be charged to our onboard account:

1) Drink tastings
2) Dinner at Remy
3) Excursions booked through DCL
4) Gratuities (how much??)

Also, is there any risk of putting it in too early in the case that we had to cancel the cruise? Would it all be refunded? Is it better to do it on the ship?

Thanks!

Yes, you can use GC's to cover the things you're asking about but, I'm not aware that you can add gc's now to your account to use for onboard charges. I'm not aware of that being an option.

When I have used GC's for some of the things you are asking about I went onto the DCL site, determined the cost of each and then purchased GC's which I took with me and used on the ship.

4) Gratuities (how much??)
DCL's recommended gratuities for the 4 primary tipped positions are $14.50 per night per guest (including children):
  • Stateroom host $4.75
  • Server $4.75
  • Assistant Server $3.75
  • Head Server $1.25
These amounts will be auto-charged to your onboard account. You can adjust the amounts (up or down) if you prefer.

Tip Calculator

You can prepay the gratuities or any other amount by calling (or have your TA call if you booked with a TA). However, I don't recommend pre-paying an amount more than you know you will charge. Reimbursement of pre-paid amounts can get wonky; it's supposed to go reverse order of how you paid (so the last payment method reimbursed first but amounts can be odd and return back at different times). Instead - bring an extra gift card to cover the overage and apply it onboard.

It really depends on how much you do. I put a lot on my account and went over because of my shopping addiction, drink tastings, etc...

Everything you spend onboard the ship (except for booking a placeholder) and everything you spend at Disney-owned places on Castaway Cay (so not the post office) will be charged to your onboard account. In addition to the things you mentioned, this includes specialty beverages, photos, spa treatments, bingo, and everything in the shops.

As lanejudy said, you can purchase onboard credit with a gift card in advance to cover everything you are sure you will spend. If you spend more, you can stop by Guest Services to apply a gift card. Do this before the last day, when GS gets busy.

I “give” myself an Onboard Credit to cover my expected charges. It can be done online under Gifts.

I do not pay gratuities with the cruise fare - I include it as part of my Onboard Credit; it is deducted automatically from that balance.

I typically make my “gift” 1-2 weeks before sailing (that’s also when I buy the gift cards online from target. They arrive via e-mail fairly soon after order; 3 hours or sooner. I think there is a $ limit.)

I don’t want to tie up money in Disney Gift Cards if there’s a significant chance I wouldn’t sail.

I am more likely to underestimate my expenses and just have the extra go on my credit card (a shore excursion may get cancelled).

Also, if you are considering a future cruise, I think the Placeholder/ Future Cruise Deposit ($250) can go on Room credit/gift cards

Also, if you are considering a future cruise, I think the Placeholder/ Future Cruise Deposit ($250) can go on Room credit/gift cards
A placeholder can go on a gift card, but it cannot be charged to the stateroom account. It can be charged to the same credit card used to back the stateroom account, but it will be a separate charge.

As lanejudy said, you can purchase onboard credit with a gift card in advance to cover everything you are sure you will spend. If you spend more, you can stop by Guest Services to apply a gift card. Do this before the last day, when GS gets busy.
You actually want to do this in sync with your purchases (or ahead of), as DCL will periodically settle your on-board account with the credit card you provided. I had four different hits on my credit card for a five night cruise, including two the last full day and another after we left the ship to close everything out. You'll probably want to put down most of what you suspect you'll spend the first day, because that's when I had photo packages and Castaway activities hit.

I'm rather...obsessive with my planning for the monetary aspects of our cruising. My wife rolls her eyes at my excel spreadsheet and my tracking. You listed a lot of the things that I budget for as well. I would also add internet fees (the new plans are great but not cheap - especially on the longer cruises), and a daily 'tab' (how much we allot for the odd drink/specialty coffee/pub grub...). I keep track o what we've spent historically on cruises to determine the tab per day. For us, it's around $35/day. When you listed 'tips' I assumed that was tips for the servers/stateroom host. I also factor in the tips for specialty dining. We get Palo for free, but I include a $50 tip. Remy is $350 for the dinner + 18% for the staff + however much you want your server to get. I usually budget $475 for Remy/Enchante (including a glass of wine or 2).

I love the Target Red card discount & purchase the cards online in $500 increments. $25 saved each time. Got 26 cruises paid for including some real whoppers. That savings has added up...

I price out all of our activities and usually add an extra couple hundred over that to pay for extras. I prepay gratuities so I don't have to worry about it.

We prepay gratuities and excursions, if its a new port. So Unless someone wants a teeshirt that's it. We don't drink thus we can get another cruise or 2 based on what I've heard people spend at the bars. We have had fun getting ice cream in those special character dishes but we don't need them.
Thus we could get away without spending any money onboard.

Say what?! I wish that I could afford to travel like you. My budget for a 7 nighter for a family of 4 is $1500 including gratuities
Did you see the items OP specified? THAT is what I am basing my estimate on.
Beverage tastings run $40-$70 a person
Dinner at Remy is $125 plus tip. 20% tip puts it at $150
Excursions range from $58 to $449 per person per port. (3 ports, $174) (most excursions are around $100.
Automatic gratuities are $133 per person for a 7 day. Most folks add something more to that.

That's $496 MINIMUM given what OP listed.
Take a more typical $100 excursion in three ports, you're at $622. Give your Cabin Steward, Server, Assistant Server and Head Waiter $20 extra each, you're at $702. Add a second beverage tasting (the OP said tastingS) you're at$742 And that is with NO adult beverages (alcoholic or coffee) other than the tasting. And that is nothing for souvenirs. And it includes nothing for meals if you choose to eat on shore in ports. It adds up quickly.
Nothing wrong with spending less that the budget, but I think my budget estimate is pretty responsible given what the OP listed.

Last edited:
@Angeliki19 - add up the cost of the things you mentioned and think whether you are a Disney souvenir person or would like any alcohol or photos.

Whatever you don’t spend should be returned to the source of payment DCL receives - in that case, it would go back on your gift card(s).

@Angeliki19 - add up the cost of the things you mentioned and think whether you are a Disney souvenir person or would like any alcohol or photos.

Whatever you don’t spend should be returned to the source of payment DCL receives - in that case, it would go back on your gift card(s).
I forgot about photos.

Not sure if anyone asked, how long is your cruise? This will make a big difference.

I'm rather...obsessive with my planning for the monetary aspects of our cruising. My wife rolls her eyes at my excel spreadsheet and my tracking. You listed a lot of the things that I budget for as well. I would also add internet fees (the new plans are great but not cheap - especially on the longer cruises), and a daily 'tab' (how much we allot for the odd drink/specialty coffee/pub grub...). I keep track o what we've spent historically on cruises to determine the tab per day. For us, it's around $35/day. When you listed 'tips' I assumed that was tips for the servers/stateroom host. I also factor in the tips for specialty dining. We get Palo for free, but I include a $50 tip. Remy is $350 for the dinner + 18% for the staff + however much you want your server to get. I usually budget $475 for Remy/Enchante (including a glass of wine or 2).

I love the Target Red card discount & purchase the cards online in $500 increments. $25 saved each time. Got 26 cruises paid for including some real whoppers. That savings has added up...
Yes, I agree!!! Every little bit helps. Thank you for reminding me about the Remy tip.. very helpful!

We have never done the internet packages but we have only done 3 day-cruises before. This is our first 7-day, so I guess maybe we should think about it. Do you have one you recommend? I do not want my kids to have wifi.. I want them to unplug. :) So it would just be me and my husband using it periodically just to check in at home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter