How much money to send with teen?

SEA333

DIS Veteran
My 15 year old son was asked to go to Myrtle Beach this summer with his best friends' family. It will be Best Friend, who is also 15, the mom, dad, little sister-5 years old, and little brother-2 years old. The will be leaving on a Sunday, driving 16 hours from the Chicago area (i *think* straight through), and coming back the following Saturday.

They had already been planning to get a suite/1-bedroom accommodation because of the little ones. So my son going does not change the cost of the room(s). DH works in the corporate finance department of a national car rental company and gave the dad a 40% off FF code for their car rental, which they had already planned to rent before DS was included as well.

We asked the parents how much we should give them for DS. (DH and the dad used to coach the boys' youth football team together, so we know them pretty well). They told us that they will cover the hotel, meals, and transportation, especially since with DH's FF code, they are saving a couple hundred $$ on their car rental. They said they are pretty much planning on spending most of the time at the beach so just give DS his own spending money for entrance fees if the boys are off alone, snacks above and beyond what they would normally buy (15 year old football players eat a LOT!), and souvenirs.

We do not feel comfortable just giving DS cash and letting him do what he wants with it. We know him and know that he will hoard it and bring it all home to use for later. We also know this family and know that they will NOT take money from DS if he wants something when they stop at the gas station or is with the whole family going to some tourist attraction and needs the entrance fee paid. We know that the parents will just pay for him.

We want to give the parents some cash, and give DS a small amount to hang onto. The parents don't necessarily need to carry it separate, nor give us back what DS doesn't use or give us reciepts or anything LOL....we would never expect that or take it. We just want them to use the money toward the trip in general to offset the extra cost of DS going.

We were thinking around $200? Is that enough, too much, or too little? We were also going to give DS15 somewhere between $50-100 for himself. But I have never been to Myrtle Beach and don't know how expensive it is? We were also going to pack a "thank you" goody bag for the family for the road trip. Not sure exactly what yet, but I was planning on spending around $100....the only for-sure thing I was going to include so far is a $50 gas card :)

Last edited:
Another option may just be to give DS a Visa gift card loaded with the money you want him to be able to spend, and then tell him that you'll take it back when he gets home. That way there's no saving for later, and he's not carrying a wad of money everywhere. Then, maybe just $50 or so for those vendors who don't take credit.

Another option may just be to give DS a Visa gift card loaded with the money you want him to be able to spend, and then tell him that you'll take it back when he gets home. That way there's no saving for later, and he's not carrying a wad of money everywhere. Then, maybe just $50 or so for those vendors who don't take credit.

That's a good idea - he isn't the most detail-oriented kid. I can see him letting a wad of cash fall out of his pocket...or "forgetting" it every time they go somewhere.

I am a 15 almost 16 year old girl so I probably don't eat as much as he does, but I also love to shop and $100 for a week wouldn't cut it for me. I would say more closer to $200 dollars for the week. I also like the Visa gift card idea with like some cash for snacks and stuff.

I am a 15 almost 16 year old girl so I probably don't eat as much as he does, but I also love to shop and $100 for a week wouldn't cut it for me. I would say more closer to $200 dollars for the week. I also like the Visa gift card idea with like some cash for snacks and stuff.

Thanks! I love seeing your input as a teen yourself :)

I can 100% guarantee that he will not be shopping, or setting a foot into a store willingly (unless they are following a pretty girl into it) LOL But he WILL be eating. A lot.

Thank you!!

I'd send him with $200 - $250 with probably at least half of it on one of those debit card things you can buy at Walmart. Yes I know it sounds like a lot, but what if the boys decide to go play laser tag or something of that sort at night while the little kids are sleeping? A few hours playing Laser tag, mini golf, going to a waterpark or something extra of that sort could burn thru $30-$40 quickly, and I'd hate for my kid to miss out on doing something fun because they were afraid of running out of money. And I would want to be sure that he had plenty of money to buy snacks while they are hanging out without having to worry about asking friends mom if it's okay, since I'd assume that two boys that age would be going off at least somewhat alone while the parents do other things (even nap times) with the little ones.

Food is expensive - especially at tourist destinations. So is mini golf, etc. And the hard thing is that by limiting his expenditures too much you would also be limiting the other boy's options. Or obligating the hosts to make up the difference.

I am like the hosts, I like to pay for most everything because it's easier and there is less awkwardness. So in their shoes my preference would be for him to have plenty of money for incidentals, snacks and souvenirs. And then it would be easier for me to cover the rest.

And then if you want to thank the parents maybe send them a gift certificate to a nice restaurant back home along sigh a nice thank you note.

If you give your son $50 - $100 "for himself", I would give a similar amount to the friend. We've invited friends along on trips, and since we were paying for it all it was easy for Suzy's mom to give Suzy a $100 to spend. It just wasn't in my budget to give my kids that much to blow, and it created some jealousy. Looking back I wish I would of said something to begin with pre-trip. Don't get me wrong, my kids handled it well, but I wished people would have thought of my kids when giving their kids money to spend.

I took friends along on trips a few times with my family when I was a teen. Same deal as you, OP, they just needed to cover incidentals, snacks, and souvenirs. Their parents always sent them with about $500 for the week. Anything not spent was returned to their parents after they got home. I'd probably choose to handle it the same way -- send my kid with too much just to be on the safe side and expect what's unspent to come back to me. If my kid wouldn't be honest enough to return my money to me, well... That's where my real problem would lie and I don't know that I'd allow him to go until he earned my trust.

I took friends along on trips a few times with my family when I was a teen. Same deal as you, OP, they just needed to cover incidentals, snacks, and souvenirs. Their parents always sent them with about $500 for the week. Anything not spent was returned to their parents after they got home. I'd probably choose to handle it the same way -- send my kid with too much just to be on the safe side and expect what's unspent to come back to me. If my kid wouldn't be honest enough to return my money to me, well... That's where my real problem would lie and I don't know that I'd allow him to go until he earned my trust.

By 15 they should be capable of handling their own money. When I took my daughters friend to Florida for 3 days they gave her 200.00 for her own spending money and gave me 400.00 more for any expenses she had. They got most of that back. I typically send 400-500 for the week when she goes someplace, if she comes home with some then great, if not then 500 for a weeks vacation was pretty cheap anyway!

We were in this situation a few weeks ago (at Disney) and I gave the family who took my DD17 on their trip a Disney gift card with enough on it to treat the whole group to a nice meal and maybe a few extras. (We also bought DD's plane tickets and park passes.) DD also had her own debit card which had her own money and we loaded with some extra cash (and she gave us back what she didn't use). I also gave her my Disney Visa in case something catastrophic happened. It worked out pretty well, I think.

By 15 they should be capable of handling their own money. When I took my daughters friend to Florida for 3 days they gave her 200.00 for her own spending money and gave me 400.00 more for any expenses she had. They got most of that back. I typically send 400-500 for the week when she goes someplace, if she comes home with some then great, if not then 500 for a weeks vacation was pretty cheap anyway!
I agree, but the OP said they aren't comfortable giving their son cash because they know he'll hoard it and not return it to them. That wouldn't fly with me. If I'm nice enough to give you money to go play with your friend at the beach for a week, you're not going to take advantage of me like that.

LOL My kids need to work with the money they are given, decided on by DH and me, not them.

We were in this situation a few weeks ago (at Disney) and I gave the family who took my DD17 on their trip a Disney gift card with enough on it to treat the whole group to a nice meal and maybe a few extras. (We also bought DD's plane tickets and park passes.) DD also had her own debit card which had her own money and we loaded with some extra cash (and she gave us back what she didn't use). I also gave her my Disney Visa in case something catastrophic happened. It worked out pretty well, I think.

I really like this thought. Maybe the OP's DS could offer to pay for a dinner one evening, or at least a round of ice cream treats at some point during the trip? Also maybe $100 gift card for gas for the parents? :)

LOL My kids need to work with the money they are given, decided on by DH and me, not them.
That is what I'd like to get not saying that is what my parents would give me. I'll take whatever they give me, but seriously for a week at a tourist place like Myrtle Beach they eat your money at those shops and snack places.

This might be a great teaching moment for OP as well, to sit down with DS and teach him the social structure of how a week with friend on vacation should play out and what is socially acceptable behavior. Example: family stops at gas station along way, this is a good time to get a snack/drink rather thank ask to stop later, pick out your own, pay for it yourself (maybe save receipt in envelope to share with parents what you used $$ for). If friend wants to go play putt putt, say yes, go to ticket window yourself, pay for your own rounds, buy your own snack drink afterwards, etc. Even the simple things that we adults take for granted like keeping bills in wallet, NOT pocket, making sure that change received is correct, etc.

College is just around the corner, and money skills will be VERY important then. So much easier to learn them at 15!

Terri

I know the family didn't ask for any money to take the boy with them, but I would give it anyway. I wouldn't feel right letting my kid go with only spending money and not contribute to the family as well. Three meals a day for a week really adds up. Give them a few hundred dollars... and 100 to 200 for you son.

This might be a great teaching moment for OP as well, to sit down with DS and teach him the social structure of how a week with friend on vacation should play out and what is socially acceptable behavior. Example: family stops at gas station along way, this is a good time to get a snack/drink rather thank ask to stop later, pick out your own, pay for it yourself (maybe save receipt in envelope to share with parents what you used $$ for). If friend wants to go play putt putt, say yes, go to ticket window yourself, pay for your own rounds, buy your own snack drink afterwards, etc. Even the simple things that we adults take for granted like keeping bills in wallet, NOT pocket, making sure that change received is correct, etc.

College is just around the corner, and money skills will be VERY important then. So much easier to learn them at 15!

Terri
I would hope that by 15, he'd have these skills down! Ds12 has a wallet, dd12 has a purse, and they've been going places and buying stuff without adults for years. Pizzaria, deli, movies, Starbucks, dunkin donuts... They even know how to tip at table service restaurants (lots of options right by the middle school - great for those half days at school).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter