How much layover time is needed for international flight at connecting airport?

Silvermist999

DIS Veteran
We are looking at Westjet flights from Toronto to Honolulu, with a layover in Vancouver.
Regardless of layover time, all flights will arrive in Honolulu on the same day and same time.

Is 2 hours layover enough time in Vancouver airport, especially for going through customs?
Other options with longer layovers would mean we depart YYZ even earlier.
Do we need to get our checked in baggage at Vancouver from the first leg of the flight if the plane type changes for the second part of the flight? If yes, should we choose a flight where the plane type remains the same for both parts of the flight, and would this mean we don’t need to claim our baggage during the layover?

thanks!

I'd go with a longer layover to be on the safe side. I'd rather not be in a mad panic at the airport. In my experience you have to get your bags to go through customs. I've had this happen to me.

We fly from YYC thru YVR to get to Hawaii, and once we drop luggage off in Calgary, we don’t see it again until Honolulu.

My family has Nexus, so to date, have not had issues making it thru security/TSA/to the gate with short layovers (approx 90 mins)🤞, but we do try to sit as close to the front of the plane as possible on the first leg of the flight to minimize disembarkation time.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter