How much do waiters/waitresses at WDW make?

If a server at Chef Mickeys turned over say six tables an hour and got a 20% tip for four Disney adults that would come to around $240 in tips per hour. Close? Not? But if so, a shift of say four hours would be around $960, right? Now they have to pay out some of that to others, right? Am I close in my numbers or way off base, I really have no idea. But this is very interesting.

I think that figure is a little high. Time spent at the table is probably more. Not everyone is going to give 20%. Not every table is going to have 4 people.

And, people do cut the tip down the higher the check goes.

Plus we often hear that 20% is too much for buffets. Some people say 10% is enough. Some cultures don't tip, and not everyone is on a dining plan or using tables in wonderland where it is added on.

Not every hour is spent serving. There is the prep work. After outlining all this, the figure is probably gross less than a third of the number $960. At Chef Mickey's.

Other restaurants may cap higher such as V&A's. And whatever a server is making, somebody will think it's too much so no one is going to give real figures.

In fact, I think it's a negative for the servers to have their compensation discussed as it may drive some to consider them overpaid and stiff them while enjoying their meals.

Maybe a six figure salary is being generous but I would still say that most of them still make out really well for the job, and that is great! We have only done one character meal in the past six or seven years because of the pricing now and then with the added tip it is just over the top. But the one we did last year was worth every penny when we got to ride Soarin back to back right after breakfast with no fast pass. Is the tip at the Garden Grill and other places shared with the characters that work the meal?

I love how people actually think servers makes 100s of $$ per day ANYWHERE. If being a server was that lucrative, I think a lot more people would be doing it and it would be a competitive job. As it is, the turnover rate for wait staff is extremely high and restaurants are constantly looking for wait staff, hostesses and cater waiters.

If you are making $100s of dollars a day with no education needed, you would think twice, thrice, or four times before leaving the job.

And just because you may tip well that doesnt mean everyone does. I typically leave 20-25% (sometimes more if the wait staff was amazing) but I know for a fact that there are people who leave no tip at all or a paltry tip. I've worked in the service industry where you depend on tips to make a living and it's not easy!

I love how people actually think servers makes 100s of $$ per day ANYWHERE. If being a server was that lucrative, I think a lot more people would be doing it and it would be a competitive job. As it is, the turnover rate for wait staff is extremely high and restaurants are constantly looking for wait staff, hostesses and cater waiters.

If you are making $100s of dollars a day with no education needed, you would think twice, thrice, or four times before leaving the job.

And just because you may tip well that doesnt mean everyone does. I typically leave 20-25% (sometimes more if the wait staff was amazing) but I know for a fact that there are people who leave no tip at all or a paltry tip. I've worked in the service industry where you depend on tips to make a living and it's not easy!
Right, I am sure that not all servers at Disney make the same amount and it varies. I do appreciate though the fact that the opportunity is there if you are willing to pay your dues and earn seniority to be able to work your way up. Most people do have to start at the bottom of the totum pole earning less.

Many years ago my friend was in the college program and she said the staff at Ohana made a lot of money. Her roommate was a hostess there.

I have another friend that kept her waitressing job on Saturdays, even after she got a 9-5 office job, at a beloved diner in her hometown because she made more when she was a waitress.

It really just depends on where you work AND if you’re good at it. Some places it wouldn’t matter if you were the best waiter in the world, people aren’t going to tip well.

It may vary in different parts of the country. Being a server here is lucrative, and it is a very competitive here and very low turnover. Like I posted above, that server job many take during college while they are studying for a career becomes the career because the money is so much better, and for part time work.

It may vary in different parts of the country. Being a server here is lucrative, and it is a very competitive here and very low turnover. Like I posted above, that server job many take during college while they are studying for a career becomes the career because the money is so much better, and for part time work.
Yes, it looks like servers in CA make $13 plus tips, in NJ $2.13 plus tips, high turnover.

I'm an old retired waitress, (now known as "server"). While I made okay money when my kids were growing up, it was stressful and hard on the body. I have friends that have shoulder/back problems from years of lifting/carrying the heavy trays. I loved the smell of the kitchen and making the guests happy, but also put up with boatloads of grabbing/lewd comments. It was a good way to pay for college but plenty of my co-workers couldn't save money because they were used to getting everything in cash. The servers I know at Disney do make good money but it's not easy to get full time since nobody wants to leave. So many of them have second jobs. Count that in with travel time, going to work early to "prep" and staying after closing to clean up and stock, along with how long it takes to drive/park/walk to their location, it's not always easy.

Yes, it looks like servers in CA make $13 plus tips, in NJ $2.13 plus tips, high turnover.
Most servers work for the tips, not the hourly wage. And FYI New Jersey requires a minimum of $11 an hour for tipped workers. Employer's portion can be as little as $2.63 an hour but with tips the employer has to ensure the worker makes $11 an hour. And turnover seems low. https://www.nj.gov/labor/lpa/pub/empecon/lh.pdf

Most servers work for the tips, not the hourly wage. And FYI New Jersey requires a minimum of $11 an hour for tipped workers. Employer's portion can be as little as $2.63 an hour but with tips the employer has to ensure the worker makes $11 an hour. And turnover seems low. https://www.nj.gov/labor/lpa/pub/empecon/lh.pdf
Minimum wage in NJ is $11 an hour, which is not a living wage. https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/heres-how-much-you-need-earn-live-anywhere-nj

But with tips, it is possible to earn a living wage as a server.
Yes, but it’s not a job well educated people want to make a living at here, it’s not a sought pout job, my daughter waitressed for 2 years in college with people who will probably be doing it forever, they do it because they have no secondary education and no other skills, ds22 is probably making close to double right out of college (and dd23 is never going back, making significantly more at an accounting firm).

Yes, but it’s not a job well educated people want to make a living at here, it’s not a sought pout job, my daughter waitressed for 2 years in college with people who will probably be doing it forever, they do it because they have no secondary education and no other skills, ds22 is probably making close to double right out of college (and dd23 is never going back, making significantly more at an accounting firm).
That's great for your daughter! As I posted above (way above) in this thread, we have done stories on servers who took on student loan debt for a career, only to find out those careers pay less.

That's great for your daughter! As I posted above (way above) in this thread, we have done stories on servers who took on student loan debt for a career, only to find out those careers pay less.
I believe you, but it’s just not the same here. Sure, there are some very upscale restaurants where a couple can easily get a bill for $200+ without tip, but most are just making ends meet. These jobs are easy to find, especially when schools are in session. Dd17’s friend just got a waitressing job with no experience at a place with a liquor license (limited here) and restaurants just opened up for outdoor seating only.

That's a pretty big generalization that well educated people don't want to be servers. One of my best friends is a server. She has a college degree and has worked several jobs in her field, but keeps going back to serving. She is really good at it and makes great money. She is a single mom with 2 teenagers and is making a good living being a server.

I don't know how long it takes to "pay your dues and up the ladder" but the servers at places like Ohana and Chef Mickey probably do make extremely well. Even with the occasional non tipper or some at 10-15%.

That's a pretty big generalization that well educated people don't want to be servers. One of my best friends is a server. She has a college degree and has worked several jobs in her field, but keeps going back to serving. She is really good at it and makes great money. She is a single mom with 2 teenagers and is making a good living being a server.
In NJ?

Id assume there are in upscale touristy area's.

But to your point location is a big factor..and then of course the person themselves.
I personally know of several people with masters degrees that work as bartenders making more than six figures.
People coming out of college with degrees that don't have a ton of value and huge debt may find that waiting tables is a great option.
Once you get used to that cash coming in and the flexibility that can come with it can be hard to walk away and get a "real" job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter