How much do people REALLY spend on fish extender gifts?

That sounds cute and fun. My DD would love something like that. I may change my mind if there’s something easy like an ornament or magnet exchange.
There are often ornament and magnet exchanges available in the cruise groups, yes. Ornaments and magnets make very nice FE gifts, as well.

I'd like to add that I've gotten a lot of nice FE gifts over the years, and it truly is the thought that counts & is appreciated. One of my favorite FE gifts ever was an unthemed, foldable mesh laundry bag that fits easily into my luggage. We use it every trip we take anywhere now, and it probably came from the dollar store. I also love the Mickey & Minnie koozies someone gave us.

I purchased Disney pez dispensers or beach balls for our gifts. I then saw a comment on our fish extender Facebook post that no one wants dollar store items and people should be spending $10 to $30 per cabin. I am now debating going out and either doing Sundae kits or local hot fudge for each cabin because I don’t want to be cheap. I didn’t plan to be spending hundreds of dollars on this though and am wondering if this is one rogue person.

So really, what kind of gifts do you typically get? Am I being too cheap? What should I plan to spend?

:eek: I almost spit out my coffee...

Where's the magic in that? I'd like to know...

I have participated in 6 or 7 FE gift exchanges and have never experienced any drama or pressure that our gift wasn’t good enough. That would ruin the whole experience! Doing another one in 7 weeks and it has been nothing but pleasant! I feel bad for those of you who have had bad experiences. All I can say is that we have only participated in the DIS board organized ones, not Facebook. Not sure if that makes a difference??

Last edited:

Whether someone inadvertently signs up for those professional FE groups through FB definitely makes a difference.

I didn’t participate but I really liked the fact our cruise group included a kids-only FE group option. In addition to the more traditional kind.

I'm going on my 1st Disney cruise with my family of 4 next October 2019. I was so excited about the fish extenders. I told my kids and they were so excited to give other kids gifts. But we were planning on getting them from the dollar tree, etsy and amazon.

This is really disappointing. I thought it would be fun. My kids would love dollar tree gifts.

It IS fun! A lot of fun!

I purchased Disney pez dispensers or beach balls for our gifts. I then saw a comment on our fish extender Facebook post that no one wants dollar store items and people should be spending $10 to $30 per cabin. I am now debating going out and either doing Sundae kits or local hot fudge for each cabin because I don’t want to be cheap. I didn’t plan to be spending hundreds of dollars on this though and am wondering if this is one rogue person.

So really, what kind of gifts do you typically get? Am I being too cheap? What should I plan to spend?

I have been on many FE boards for several years now. I cannot recall ever reading "people should be spending $10-$30 per cabin". I have read MANY times of people asking how much others spend because they truly want to know. There is a big difference between the two. :)

I have participated in 6 or 7 FE gift exchanges and have never experienced any drama or pressure that our gift wasn’t good enough. That would ruin the whole experience! Doing another one in 7 weeks and it has been nothing but pleasant! I feel bad for those of you who have had bad experiences. All I can say is that we have only participated in the DIS board organized ones, not Facebook. Not sure if that makes a difference??
I don't think so. All of my FE groups have been via Facebook, and they've all been positive, low-key experiences like you describe.

I do love it and plan to keep it forever. It was so much fun to create. Now I wish I had one that’s Coco themed but there’s no need for it since we don’t do FEs anymore.

I’m not sure if we’ll participate in our next cruise’s FE (especially after reading this) but I plan on bringing my own FE! I found it was easier to put navigators in and the like! I love your FE!

I’m not sure if we’ll participate in our next cruise’s FE (especially after reading this) but I plan on bringing my own FE! I found it was easier to put navigators in and the like! I love your FE!
Thank you. It was so much fun to create. Personally, I think if you want to gift others in a magical way you still can. Just find other ways to accomplish it. I know it’s disappointing to see where FEs have gone. I’m sure there’s still some that aren’t like that.

Our upcoming Halloween on the High Seas cruise will be our first time doing FEs. Some of what I am giving out is cheap handmade stuff, some is "cheap dollar store crap" that I think the kids will like, and some is a bit nicer. I made some cruise survival kits with all kinds of things people might want or need. I had fun putting it all together and I really don't care what we get in return, I know my kids will love finding the little surprises and I'll enjoy any mementos I end up with. If people don't like it, oh well, some people just like to be miserable.

Our upcoming Halloween on the High Seas cruise will be our first time doing FEs. Some of what I am giving out is cheap handmade stuff, some is "cheap dollar store crap" that I think the kids will like, and some is a bit nicer. I made some cruise survival kits with all kinds of things people might want or need. I had fun putting it all together and I really don't care what we get in return, I know my kids will love finding the little surprises and I'll enjoy any mementos I end up with. If people don't like it, oh well, some people just like to be miserable.

Yes, your kids will love finding the little surprises! But if others don’t like what they receive from you, why does that make them miserable? I just do not understand coming here and making a statement like that...

Yes, your kids will love finding the little surprises! But if others don’t like what they receive from you, why does that make them miserable? I just do not understand coming here and making a statement like that...

I was referring to the incidents of rudeness from gift recipients that was referenced in the thread. I think that people who would walk around complaining about the gifts they received, keep track of gifts received on a spreadsheet, track the monetary value of gifts they receive, complain later about the gifts on facebook, and the other things that a few people mentioned, must be pretty unhappy people. My point is that I am giving gifts I think are nice and once they are given, oh well, I'm not going to fret about the possibility of someone being rude later. Most people are like us and just appreciate any gift at all.

Whether someone inadvertently signs up for those professional FE groups through FB definitely makes a difference.

I didn’t participate but I really liked the fact our cruise group included a kids-only FE group option. In addition to the more traditional kind.
Last year my daughter signed me up on Facebook and I signed up on dis. No difference.

I remember once giving a gift to someone that I thought had been special and was more expensive than other gifts I'd given. It turns out that where she's from, that gift was not anything special, but a common item in her area. She made a comment about usually people giving gifts that they couldn't get where they were. She was disappointed and I was devastated, because I thought I was honouring her. To this day, I feel bad about it, but what can you do? If people are 'in it' for the gift and not caring that there was thought behind the gift, it says something about them, not about you.

As for FEs, if someone doesn't like your gift, too bad. These aren't your best friends or even people you'd likely ever cruise with again. Nor would you want to, I suspect.

I remember once giving a gift to someone that I thought had been special and was more expensive than other gifts I'd given. It turns out that where she's from, that gift was not anything special, but a common item in her area. She made a comment about usually people giving gifts that they couldn't get where they were. She was disappointed and I was devastated, because I thought I was honouring her. To this day, I feel bad about it, but what can you do? If people are 'in it' for the gift and not caring that there was thought behind the gift, it says something about them, not about you.

As for FEs, if someone doesn't like your gift, too bad. These aren't your best friends or even people you'd likely ever cruise with again. Nor would you want to, I suspect.

That is horrible that she was so insensitive to you. I am sorry that happened. UGHHH

I was referring to the incidents of rudeness from gift recipients that was referenced in the thread.
I think a lot of these "incidents" are urban legend. Read through the thread carefully, and notice how everyone who describes FEs as being no good anymore are not describing their own experiences, but rather 2nd hand experiences about what they've "heard". Some of the people who spread these comments aren't even current DCL cruisers- they've moved on. Notice comments that say things like, "when I cruised DCL", or "I don't do FEs anymore but I've heard it's not what it used to be".

It seems that some of the negativity is related to the fact that most FEs originate from Facebook now, rather than the Dis. There is rumored to be a "control freak" of FEs on FB, but most FEs organized via FB have nothing to do with her, and are independently organized by groups that are created by cruisers of each individual cruise.

I recommend ignoring 2nd hand info, and instead listen to people's actual firsthand experiences with FEs.

Last edited:
I think a lot of these "incidents" are urban legend. Read through the thread carefully, and notice how everyone who describes FEs as being no good anymore are not describing their own experiences, but rather 2nd hand experiences about what they've "heard". Some of the people who spread these comments aren't even current DCL cruisers- they've moved on. Notice comments that say things like, "when I cruised DCL", or "I don't do FEs anymore but I've heard it's not what it used to be".

It seems that some of the negativity is related to the fact that most FEs originate from Facebook now, rather than the Dis. There is rumored to be a "control freak" of FEs on FB, but most FEs organized via FB have nothing to do with her, and are independently organized by groups that are created by cruisers of each individual cruise.

I recommend ignoring 2nd hand info, and instead listen to people's actual firsthand experiences with FEs.
Well, my experiences were first hand, real, actual experiences, not urban legends. In addition, I am scheduled to take another DCL Cruise next year, so by your very definition I am still an “current DCL cruiser”, so hopefully my actual firsthand experiences can still be considered valid.

I am glad you have not experience any negativity in your FE dealings. That has not been everyone’s “actual first hand experiences with FE”. I hope your good fortune continues in the future.

Well, my experiences were first hand, real, actual experiences, not urban legends. In addition, I am scheduled to take another DCL Cruise next year, so by your very definition I am still an “current DCL cruiser”, so hopefully my actual firsthand experiences can still be considered valid.

I am glad you have not experience any negativity in your FE dealings. That has not been everyone’s “actual first hand experiences with FE”. I hope your good fortune continues in the future.
Okay, I'll grant that you're the one exception to the trend I've noticed of the complaints being 2nd hand. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your FE. What jerks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter