How many years do you get out of a mattress?

We need a new mattress already. I am not a small woman but I know many larger people out there but the "people dents" as I like to call them are becoming unbearable. I can't find out paperwork but for some reason I am thinking that we have only had this mattress for 8 years. And we have had the people dents for a while now. I am not buying cheap. The one I just ordered was $3,000 for the mattress alone.

Am I the problem? How long is everyone else getting out of a mattress?
The average life of a mattress is 7-10 years. So yours is quite average.

In 2021 we bout an adjustable bed and new mattresses. Prior to that, the mattress we had was 20 years old. Probably held on to it a little too long. My BIL and his wife just bought a sleep number bed. $15,000! Yes, $15,000!

our last one was going on 20 years-not terribly expensive when we bought it. our current was purchased in 2017 and has no wear.

we do flip and rotate the mattress (ours has a chart printed in the corners to remind you when you change the sheets).

In 2021 we bout an adjustable bed and new mattresses. Prior to that, the mattress we had was 20 years old. Probably held on to it a little too long. My BIL and his wife just bought a sleep number bed. $15,000! Yes, $15,000!
OMH, this post just made me realize how off I was in my original post when i said how old my mattress was.

We had to have bought it in spring 2020 because we specifically bought it for the adjustable base. We though we would need the adjustable base for me to Lovelace after surgery.

We were told that we had to buy a mattress that doesn't have a reinforced edge so it could bend with the base. My edge is the point where we see the worst failure.

I was feeling good when a lot of you were saying 7-10 years but now I'm mad 🤬

This is a very timely post because we have been talking about replacing ours. We were away for over three weeks and slept on several different beds. When we came home, I started to notice that my hips and back hurt when I get up in the mornings. Before our trip, I associated it with just getting older (58). Now I am realizing it is our 18 year old mattress.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced new one? Not interested in Tempurpedic or adjustable ones.

Would this have been one that you were able to flip? That alone almost doubles the life. I sorely miss the last one we had like that.
Yes. Flippable.
Are flippable mattresses not really a thing anymore? Obviously it’s been awhile since I’ve bought one.

Well then, I’ll just hang on to mine. :)
:thumbsup2Good idea, if you can. When we replaced our last flippable one, it went to our guest room, where it got very light use. 15 years later, when we moved (just this past September) it was actually in better shape than the one we'd replaced it with. that one went to the dump and the flippable one was gratefully received by a women's shelter resource centre. :goodvibes

From what I'm reading in the responses, firm mattresses are good for a lot longer than the softies, especially the "non-flippable" pillowtops.

Our experience pretty much echoes that, we have one super-squishy pillowtop King that's still great after 2 years but also a super-squishy pillowtop Queen in spare bedroom that's 10 years old and has a cavern that makes me wonder when Duke Caboom is gonna show up to try and jump it.

But DW says the firm mattresses hurt her back, so we'll stick with the super squishies and just deal with the PDC (People Dent Cavern) in the spare bedroom for the time being as it's not used regularly.

We had our last one for 15 years and I loved that mattress. Tried to match it 3.5 years ago when we bought a new one but was very disappointed. Immediately formed body dents and this one is not flippable. So we're stuck with it a while.

What they sell now is such junk, not to mention the "natural" stuff is mostly latex and so many people are allergic.

Meanwhile when we were kids everyday mattresses with springs were hand me downs for decades. We had older cousins hand me downs they ditched when they went off to college and we kept them until I got married and then took DH's grandmother's hand me down extra bedroom set. First new one I was 26 in our new home Sterns and Foster and it lasted 15 years or so until DH said we need a new one, still have the second S & F and I a gifting it. Second home has split twin, DH likes it softer but those don't seem to last anywhere near as long as the firmer style I prefer because mine is still fine and he wants new, it's been 8 years.

This is a very timely post because we have been talking about replacing ours. We were away for over three weeks and slept on several different beds. When we came home, I started to notice that my hips and back hurt when I get up in the mornings. Before our trip, I associated it with just getting older (58). Now I am realizing it is our 18 year old mattress.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced new one? Not interested in Tempurpedic or adjustable ones.
was there a hotel you stayed at that the mattress was to your liking? if so you might try giving the location a call and asking who their buying source is. this is how we aquired our current set-the hotel gave us the name of the local manufacturer/their sales rep and we made contact and were able to order direct from the factory (the key was finding out the specific name of the set from the room we were in which the hotel's housekeeping manager had easily accessable). buying direct from the factory vs. a storefront was much less expensive.

pillowtop mattresses-comfortable but prevents being able to flip the mattress and shortens the lifespan. we went with non pillowtop but then spent a hundred or so on a removable pillow topper for the mattress (it's like a fitted sheet). i can remove it and launder it when we go to flip and turn the mattress, i can also rotate it for more even wear. if it starts going south i can replace it for a fraction of the cost of replacing the mattress.

I replace mine about every 5-6 years or so. I figured I spend too much time in there to be uncomfortable.

Yes. Flippable.
Are flippable mattresses not really a thing anymore? Obviously it’s been awhile since I’ve bought one.
The first mattress we had (well, the one that came with my husband, as he had a furnished house) was "flippable". Either side could be the up side (the side you sleep on). I would flip it head to toe in even months and side to side in odd months. We had it more years than we should have. The next mattress we got, as well as our "new" one, can only be rotated because only one side is made to be slept on. We couldn't find one that was flippable when we last bought (about 3 years ago).

I think mine is from the early 80’s. I did get a good topper for it 4-5 years ago and that helped tremendously. I turn/flip the mattress every few years. Works fine for me,

It's about 10 years but I think also depends on the quality of the mattress. We have a Heavenly bed and it's going on 15, still feel decent.

Going on 17 years with our Tempurpedic and still complain to my wife that I never wanted it! Is going to a regular spring better? Are you more comfortable? I always want to ditch what I have and go the regular route but we also paid so much for it back then I have a hard time getting rid of something that still works just fine.
My former boss bought a $7,000 Tempur-Pedic as his wife wanted it. He hates it and said he’s waiting for when he can go back to a traditional mattress.

From what I'm reading in the responses, firm mattresses are good for a lot longer than the softies, especially the "non-flippable" pillowtops.

Our experience pretty much echoes that, we have one super-squishy pillowtop King that's still great after 2 years but also a super-squishy pillowtop Queen in spare bedroom that's 10 years old and has a cavern that makes me wonder when Duke Caboom is gonna show up to try and jump it.

But DW says the firm mattresses hurt her back, so we'll stick with the super squishies and just deal with the PDC (People Dent Cavern) in the spare bedroom for the time being as it's not used regularly.
Mattresses are very hard to buy. Our 12 year old mattress that we just got rid of, was a Beautyrest Black, top of the line, coil, non-flippable and non pillow top. Yet, my DH started feeling aches and pains at the 10 year mark, he thought it was just aging. We had a hard time back then to find a flippable mattress. This time around, we bought a firm mattress, we’d always had firm, but hated it. We felt as though are bones ached a ton upon awakening. We traded it in for a medium and love it.

We have had ours for over 20 years and we are overweight plus the dog sleeps on it with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter