How many times in your life have your parents said they were proud of you?

My parents often told me they were very proud of me... but if I did something wrong they would be "very disappointed in me," too. I try to remember to tell my kids that I'm proud of them (but I try NOT to tell them that I'm disappointed "in them." )

My parents often told me they were very proud of me... but if I did something wrong they would be "very disappointed in me," too. I try to remember to tell my kids that I'm proud of them (but I try NOT to tell them that I'm disappointed "in them." )
Pretty much this...it wasn't just a "rah, rah, you're so great" kind of thing, but more what I felt was sincere feedback. It gave me an awareness from a young age that what I did had an effect on the people I loved; both positive and negative. They were WONDERFUL parents. :lovestruc

Pretty much this...it wasn't just a "rah, rah, you're so great" kind of thing, but more what I felt was sincere feedback. It gave me an awareness from a young age that what I did had an effect on the people I loved; both positive and negative. They were WONDERFUL parents. :lovestruc
I agree. My parents were pretty wonderful too... and overall, I think they did a great job. I do think "disappointed in you" vs "disappointed in what you did" is a subtle but important difference.

Zero, but I knew they were based on what others told me. It was all good. I think I told my kids that I was proud of them, but I also think they knew it anyway. Fortunately, or unfortunitely, depending on your location I was never shy about being critical when I thought it was necessary. It wasn't often though.

Never. They both passed away in the past year. A family member said they always talked about me with pride but I never heard it or felt it. Made me wonder did they act like they were proud of me when talking to other people so people would think I turned out well and a positive reflection on them. I wish they had been proud but I believe they were not.

"Actions speak louder than words" really applied to my parents. I never heard the words "I am proud of you" but I knew when they WERE proud of me.
My dad passed away when I was 9, and my mom did everything she could to support me without imposing her wishes on me. My first career path was law enforcement until I discovered Broadcasting. I was in my 50s before my mom felt comfortable telling me that she was never comfortable with my wishes to be in law enforcement. She just felt her role was to encourage me, not discourage me from following my dreams.

Never sadly and I’m sorry to read others have the same response
I think myself it was their generation nit something they did - my parents often gave be safe advice and other advice but in other areas very lacking sadly - like saying I love you - don’t leave that for just every once in a blue moon

Once... kind of out of the blue my mother told me. She said that, she just wanted me to know that. I was probably late 30's.

Like some others, my parents showed me they were proud through their actions or reactions to things. They really never said the words, but their actions said it for them.

Twice, when I completed Air Force basic training and 15 years later when I graduated with my bachelors. Dad nagged me constantly to continue my education. He had dropped out in 8th grade (1940s) to help the family make ends meet. I was the first in my family to graduate high school and then college. He drove up for the graduation and I could tell he was really proud. When I finished the masters, he wasn't impressed because it wasn't a doctorate. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter