How many times have you scanned a MB, and how many times didn't it work?

The problems may lie within MM+, but since the MB is the conduit for us to utilize everything linked to MM+, this board can absolutely capture the info. If the MB doesn't work for something that it should, it means there was an issue with MM+. Hence, if someone says their MB failed 20 times & lists when, that gives an idea of where MM+ failed. And if someone says their band never had a problem, that means MM+ was a success for them. I don't think anyone is arguing the bands themselves are the problem, but they are the "symptom" by which we can diagnose the disease.

If you just want to know the raw number of MM+ faults that show up as Magic Bands are scanned, maybe so (many of the faults do not, like a dining reservation being lost). But the OP seemed to be trying to determine some percentage of faults per scan on bands, maybe seeking reassurance that failures are rare. But I don't think this helps many people by itself. What would really help would be knowing when things do fail for someone what sorts of data they may have been putting through the system (resort reservations, number of guests linked, dining) that could have contributed to the data corruption.

It's likely that people who have the highest MB scan throughput numbers are AP holders who have less complicated MM+ profiles (with lots of FP+ data but less in the way of resort, dining, photography, transportation and such). They probably have a lower chance of data corruption per scan than infrequent travelers who hit WDW less than once per year and have a lot more data spread across the system.

That would mean that season ticket holders who go a lot and tell the rest of us here that it works great aren't as likely to experience problems as the vacationers from out of state who are eager for such news.

If you just want to know the raw number of MM+ faults that show up as Magic Bands are scanned, maybe so (many of the faults do not, like a dining reservation being lost). But the OP seemed to be trying to determine some percentage of faults per scan on bands, maybe seeking reassurance that failures are rare. But I don't think this helps many people by itself. What would really help would be knowing when things do fail for someone what sorts of data they may have been putting through the system (resort reservations, number of guests linked, dining) that could have contributed to the data corruption.

It's likely that people who have the highest MB scan throughput numbers are AP holders who have less complicated MM+ profiles (with lots of FP+ data but less in the way of resort, dining, photography, transportation and such). They probably have a lower chance of data corruption per scan than infrequent travelers who hit WDW less than once per year and have a lot more data spread across the system.

That would mean that season ticket holders who go a lot and tell the rest of us here that it works great aren't as likely to experience problems as the vacationers from out of state who are eager for such news.

Actually, I think the OP may have been referencing a specific thread which claimed that one morning last week there were wide-spread failures with magic bands at park opening and that thousands of people had to have their issues resolved at guest services. Or something like that. To be honest, it came off as hyperbolic nonsense and I didn't really pay attention.

So, yeah, I don't think the OP was trying to harvest data that would help the general public, but to get some idea of how often failures occur.

At least that's the impression that I got.

I would absolutely agree that I read far more complaints of MM+ &/or MBs when dealing with complicated reservations (e.g. multiple rooms, several MM+ profiles involved, multiple resorts on 1 trip), than with those of simple 1 family with 1 room at 1 resort stays.

However, the OP started a thread for something they were curious about & information they wanted to know. From what I read almost everyone on the thread answered accordingly for what this OP asked. As such, I fail to see how it matters if this helps other people figure out the faults of MM+ because that wasn't what the OP asked for. If they want to know the # of MB issues people experienced on their trip, they have every right to ask that. Just because you wouldn't ask this question, doesn't mean that OP is missing some kind of bigger picture by doing so.

The thread is not "missing the symptoms", but instead discussing what the OP wanted to discuss.

Actually, I think the OP may have been referencing a specific thread which claimed that one morning last week there were wide-spread failures with magic bands at park opening and that thousands of people had to have their issues resolved at guest services. Or something like that. To be honest, it came off as hyperbolic nonsense and I didn't really pay attention.

So, yeah, I don't think the OP was trying to harvest data that would help the general public, but to get some idea of how often failures occur.

At least that's the impression that I got.

The reason I spoke up was because of that thread. I thought the problem the OP of that thread brought up was legitimate but it was dismissed by many people because so many assumed it was a report of multiple individual Magic Band failures when it really wasn't.

In that thread the OP described a legitimate problem (a very large number of guests ended up stuck at guests services at rope drop because the system didn't recognize their admission when they scanned for some reason). Unfortunately the thread got derailed because they characterized it as "hundreds if not thousands" of guests and some posters here decided that invalidated their entire report. But c'mon, really, how many people know how to glance around and estimate how many people are around them in an angry mob? Is it so hard to take something like that with a grain of salt and continue the conversation? There were a few posts in the thread indicating it was a problem that has happened on other occasions but that got lost in arguments over whether "thousands" was creditable or not.

I did suspect that thread lead to this one, since many people were dismissing the OP's story because a scenario of hundreds (or thousands) of Magic Band failures isn't creditable. A scenario of hundreds (or thousands) of MM+ failures because of data corruption is credible, but that wasn't being considered by many.

Days with MBs....7 days in early Dec, 2 days in mid-Jan, 10 days in early June. In Dec, had an issue charging but for some reason, my cc info hadn't been included on the MB. Worked fine every time in the parks. Jan, no issues in the parks or for the room.
10 days in June...had one or two very brief issues, entering a park, but those were resolved very quickly...under a minute. BUT....after we switched hotels (BWVs to POR), my dd and I both had issues. My MB wouldn't work the first two times I tried to enter a park after checking in at POR. It was a new CM, who said to give her my MB so she could activate it. Not sure what she did with it, but it took some fixing at MK. Then, my dd wasn't allowed to enter MK on our last day. The MB said she had no days left...but she did. She had a 7 day expiring hopper plus 2 one day park hoppers (from a CM that I successfully added to our MDE). But, the MB read the 7 day hoppers first, then the complimentary hoppers. However, after reading the first one, it couldn't read the second one. CM manager said the system 'stacked' them, so it wasn't able to read them! He fixed it, in about 10 mins, and off we went.

Other than those two times...no issues. That one morning, with 'hundreds, if not thousands' being denied access? I have to assume that it was a system glitch...not so much the MBs. Should it have happened? Nope. But, sometimes crap like that happens. I can't imagine that it was, actually, 'thousands' though.

AP Holders and there are 6 of us total. We use them many times each week ~ at parks, Disney Quest, waterparks, for FP+. We have been using them since I'd say October. All passes on MB have worked every single time. Never a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter