How many shirts to pack?

LibrarianPrincess

Earning My Ears
So...

This might sound silly. But honestly, I have no idea how many shirts to packed for my trip. Last time I visited Disney World, I packed TOOOO many shirts for my stay. It weighed my luggage down. I had no space in the hotel. It was just a nightmare. I don't want to make that mistake again.

I will be going for 13 days. I'm not doing any upscale restaurants. Just counter services restaurants. What should be the minimum shirts I bring? I basically want back-up shirts. If they get wet or stinky.

I usually have a shirt for each day and then maybe 2-3 extra shirts - in the summer months this turns into 1-2 extra tanks and then my "in case I get burned" t-shirts that I have and almost never touch. For such a long trip, I would actually suggest thinking about doing laundry at some point. Then you wouldn't have to worry about having as many shirts with you, and something small like Tide Pods can easily fit in the space that all the extra shirts would have been.

I would bring 14 or 15 if you aren't planning to do laundry. I think I used to bring (and possibly did bring this trip) The amount of days I was going to be there plus trip days/2. So For example, if I was going for 8 days, I would bring 8 + (8/2) = 12. This just ended up being too many. I think this trip I ended up wearing 9 for 8 days. I wore the same shirt from the plane to the park the first day. The next 6 days I wore the same shirt all day. When we would take a midday break I would hang up the shirt if we were in the room and put it on again when we left later. The last day I wore the same shirt from the parks on the plane. The 9th shirt came from me really wanting to wear another shirt I brought, so I switched it up one night. I thought I'd want to wear a different shirt after the initial plane ride, and then on the last plane ride, but the extra shirts ended up not being necessary. I also thought I'd want to switch my shirt for the second half of each day, but that didn't end up being necessary either.

I usually pack one shirt for each day - shirts usually get dirty and sweaty. If you have access to laundry then you could pack 1/2 the amount and just do laundry mid way through your trip. It does also depend on when you are traveling. In the heat of the summer you could easily go through 2 shirts a day. I would just plan some time in your schedule for laundry -- it could be a simple couple of hours at the pool for washing & drying.

Our last trip was 10 days, but we had a 2 BR for the last portion of our trip so we were able to laundry and were able to pack 1/2 the amount of clothing which was so helpful for our family of 5. Even without laundry in the room i would likely would have used the laundry facility at the resort.

Last edited:

For a 2 week stay, I am planning a day by the pool so I can do laundry twice. I am not bringing that many clothes.

Yeah I get it, no one wants to do laundry on vacation. But really, how much time is actually spent doing laundry? While you wait for it to complete, you are in or relaxing by the pool.

So for me I bring 5 to 6 days of clothing. No more. And I think ahead and avoid whites if I can so all can go in one wash.

I would pack 7 and do laundry one day. This way it does not take up so much room in your luggage. Laundry rooms at WDW are right by the pools so you can swim while doing laundry. I can get 3 loads of laundry done in an hour and a half since there are so many washers and dryers at Disney. Doesn't interfere with our vacation. Here is a webpage that will tell how many washers are available at your resort and it tells you how much time is left on the machines. http://classic.laundryview.com/disneyworld/http://classic.laundryview.com/disneyworld/

I go in September it's hot. We are going for 9days I will pack 10 shirts and 5 prs of shorts. We usually do 2 shirts a day. I will also do laundry mid week.

I used to overpack, but recently I started bringing fast drying t-shirts (Nike Dri-Fit or Under Armour) that are really great in the heat. I find that I don't need to change them after an afternoon break or after they get soaked in the rain. Plus they are cool and light under the Florida sun.

I'm with a lot of the others; my standard for packing for this type of trip is one shirt per day +2. So a six day trip (including departure day) would have 8 shirts. That's partly to have a spare in case I need to change midday, partly so I have more options.

On a 13 day trip I would strongly consider doing laundry (particularly if those 13 days don't include arrival and/or departure). I'm doing a 15 day trip to Europe this fall and it was a pretty easy call for me to plan only one week's worth of clothes and build a load of laundry into my schedule mid-trip. Anyway, a trip like as long as yours calls for a rest day or two at the resort anyway; just schedule one in the middle of your trip and run laundry in the background while you have some drinks by the pool.

For a 2 week stay, I am planning a day by the pool so I can do laundry twice. I am not bringing that many clothes.

Yeah I get it, no one wants to do laundry on vacation. But really, how much time is actually spent doing laundry? While you wait for it to complete, you are in or relaxing by the pool.

So for me I bring 5 to 6 days of clothing. No more. And I think ahead and avoid whites if I can so all can go in one wash.
Totally agree. Do laundry! It's a great chance to have full time and cut your packing in half. Especially if you're going during the summer when you're likely to get more sweaty. How often take a quick shower and change my clothes midday if it's during a really hot and humid time of year. That's what makes doing laundry a great solution.

Another vote for doing laundry especially in August. We are usually back at the resort in the afternoon so it is easy to get a load done. I go through 2 shirts a day. Now I pack not based on a number but ones that the fabric/cut is perfect for the weather.

We were just looking at this for our trip in September. We're on the road 14 days total - I plan to pack 16 shirts, plus one hoodie. I figure if I need another while I am there I can always do laundry or buy a t-shirt.

I always do a mid-day resort break where I almost always change my clothing... so that means planning for two outfits per day. This can either be accomplished by taking a lot of clothing with me or by doing laundry mid-trip. I've done both, but I think taking more with me is my preference.

When I'm packing, shirts are my lowest priority because they are the easiest thing to purchase, if necessary, while on vacation.

If I have a wardrobe issue, it would take effort to get the sneakers which don't make my feet hurt, socks which don't give me blisters, the underwear which I find most comfortable, shorts which fit well. But shirts? You can get those without even leaving the hotel if necessary.

Shirts also are the easiest to wash if you need to do laundry. (I don't put some of my other clothing in the dryer.)

My personal philosophy is something like this if you don't need a different set of clothes any particular day.

Days x 1.25 = how many shirts/pairs of socks/daily clothes item you need.
Days / 3 = how many pairs of pants/shorts you need.

I like the idea of doing the laundry just came back a day ago and noticed a lot of peolple doing their laundry at the Riverside Laundry room. I did notice that they were particularly from the UK. I have talked to a lot of people while down there and they always seem to stay a long time, like around 10-14 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter