How many people actually drop reservations at 31 days?

disneylover81

DIS Veteran
I just wonder if anyone has ever noticed at around 31 days, how many DVC rooms become available with people cancelling so their points don't go into holding. I am at 50 days until my 4 night trip, and I have a 1 BR at BCV booked, and that was just by pure luck I think that it became available last week for my exact dates (Labor Day weekend). I first had a 2 BR at SSR booked, but then the 2 middle nights for a 2 BR at BCV became available so I grabbed them. Then the next day, all 4 of our nights in a 1 BR at BCV became available, so I switched the 2 BR for the 1 BR. DH really wants 2 BR because his brother and wife are coming along with us. In hindsight, maybe I should have just booked the 1 BR for the 2 nights we didn't have, but then we would have to take a chance of having to change rooms from 1 BR to 2 BR and then back to 1 BR, which seemed like too much hassle. I really want to stay at BCV so to me it's a no brainer, even if we are all sharing a bathroom. I made a waitlist for a 2 BR though, just in case, which brings me back to my original question . . . do a lot of people cancel at around 31 days? I stalk the website probably 10-15 times a day just to see if anything comes up, there have been other resorts with partial availability, but DH doesn't want to do a split stay either.

I have been stalking for a 2 bedroom at VGF …I have a 1 bedroom booked already but would prefer the 2 bedroom.
I think the odds of dropping a complete vacation at or before 31 days is narrow but I have noticed members will “squeeze” out the first day or perhaps the last Day to save points.
For example, They must realize a 3 night stay with saving points to make a return trip in future is a better use of their points because :
More fun to return trip planning, perhaps.
Has anybody else noticed this by checking dates all the time ?

I have watched at times and while things seem to show up here or there it always seems like a night or two and not a popular room.

Getting a 2 bedroom at BCV for 4 nights is going to be pretty near impossible because if there are waitlists in plan for a night here or there, the system will usually grab them.l

Last year I had one night in March waitlisted for a 1 bedroom at BCV and I saw the night before and after show up during stalking but my night never did..was refreshing every 30 minutes

Sure enough that one night was grabbed when the others were not.

Probably would have given you a better chance to hold the 2 nights you had as you have waitlisted just the first or last night.

Don’t forget to also keep an eye on studios. While not the same room, if you could snag a few nights there at least you’d have some extra space!

I have been stalking for a 2 bedroom at VGF …I have a 1 bedroom booked already but would prefer the 2 bedroom.
I think the odds of dropping a complete vacation at or before 31 days is narrow but I have noticed members will “squeeze” out the first day or perhaps the last Day to save points.
For example, They must realize a 3 night stay with saving points to make a return trip in future is a better use of their points because :
More fun to return trip planning, perhaps.
Has anybody else noticed this by checking dates all the time ?
I just wondered if people held on to them until 31 days while they are still deciding whether to go or not. It is definitely something I would probably have to do because I would want to go and I'd have to spend up until that day trying to convince DH to go back "just one more time". He thinks I am nuts for wanting to go many times a year, but it's why I bought DVC, AP's and earned SWA CP. I had a plan and a goal and I am over the moon excited to have finally achieved it. So now I can tell him, all we basically have to pay for is food when we go!

VGF is my FAVORITE resort so far, but Lord the points are high! I still love it though and would probably pick it every time my points allow. I was surprised when I saw a 1 BR come up for 2 of my nights yesterday, but I didn't change from BCV since DH won't let me split stay.

Maybe you are on to something about people dropping the first or last night to save points. That makes sense. When I first booked SSR for this trip, I actually booked the first night with cash to save points. But then when I switched to the 1 BR at BCV, I booked all the nights on points and canceled the cash room. I feel the need to be more stingy with my points than my checkbook it seems.

I have watched at times and while things seem to show up here or there it always seems like a night or two and not a popular room.

Getting a 2 bedroom at BCV for 4 nights is going to be pretty near impossible because if there are waitlists in plan for a night here or there, the system will usually grab them.l

Last year I had one night in March waitlisted for a 1 bedroom at BCV and I saw the night before and after show up during stalking but my night never did..was refreshing every 30 minutes

Sure enough that one night was grabbed when the others were not.

Probably would have given you a better chance to hold the 2 nights you had as you have waitlisted just the first or last night.

Don’t forget to also keep an eye on studios. While not the same room, if you could snag a few nights there at least you’d have some extra space!
It is crazy how one random night will be unavailable on the calendar. When I first booked this trip a few weeks ago, there was a fair amount of availability at several resorts, except for the Sunday night before Labor Day. Labor Day itself is available almost everywhere, but still not the Saturday or Sunday night before.

I knew I should have kept those 2 nights and I really wanted to, but I didn't want to take the chance and lose the 1 BR where we could stay the whole time, and these are the last of my points for this year so I didn't have enough to keep both.

I would have loved to just have 2 studios from the beginning so we could all have our own space the whole time, but it's never been an option so far, except at SSR, which is my last resort. I will keep checking though.

I just wonder if anyone has ever noticed at around 31 days, how many DVC rooms become available with people cancelling so their points don't go into holding.
I know that that's what happened to us once, and when I mentioned our surprise to the DVC MS person, she said "Oh, that's the way it happens all the time," and then explained about how people don't want their points to go in to holding. I guess you have to decide if a DVC MS person is much more reliable than a Disney bus driver.:-)

Well in an interesting turn of events after my original post yesterday asking about my chances that someone would cancel around 31 days so I could swap my 1 BR to a 2 BR at BCV, I was just doing my normal stalking routine for the 20th time today and lo and behold, there was availability in a 2 BR for 3 of my 4 nights! I can’t even believe it. So now all I need is that 4th night, which is going to be the toughest I believe. It’s the Sunday night before Labor Day. That’s the only night we don’t have a room at the moment so I’m just going to book a cash stay at YC for now with the 35% AP discount, so at least we will have that if all else fails. Plus we are getting up at 3:00 am that morning anyways to catch a 6:00 am flight so it won’t even be a full night stay as it is, probably not even worth using points for it.

That Sunday before Labor Day is the night before this year’s Member Cruise. I do hope you get what you want!

That Sunday before Labor Day is the night before this year’s Member Cruise. I do hope you get what you want!
Oh well maybe that’s the struggle I’ve been having. If not, we will be happy at the YC for that last night. It’s just a short walk over from BCV so no biggie.

It took me four days of checking multiple times a day to nab something for Sept 3! And it was a 1 bedroom at BCV!

And just now I was able to switch a 2br l/o lake view at BLT for a proper BLT 2 bedroom lake view for Sept 4-8 :cheer2: I only found that original booking by checking multiple times a day after grabbing a SSR 2 bedroom last week when we decided to visit with adult kids.

Sorry to anyone who may have had a waitlist but I have had better luck stalking the website than using waitlists.

I do this and the reverse (booking at 31 days) all the time. It's obvious a lot of DVC members do this.

It took me four days of checking multiple times a day to nab something for Sept 3! And it was a 1 bedroom at BCV!

And just now I was able to switch a 2br l/o lake view at BLT for a proper BLT 2 bedroom lake view for Sept 4-8 :cheer2: I only found that original booking by checking multiple times a day after grabbing a SSR 2 bedroom last week when we decided to visit with adult kids.

Sorry to anyone who may have had a waitlist but I have had better luck stalking the website than using waitlists.
If you got the 1 BR at BCV yesterday it was probably the one I dropped when I switched to the 2 BR.

Congrats on getting what you were looking for! I saw that BLT 2 BR LV has been available most of the day today, except for Sept. 3rd of course.

I have had better luck stalking also. I tend to look 20+ times a day when I’m on the hunt for something. I’ve only had a waitlist come through once.

I do this and the reverse (booking at 31 days) all the time. It's obvious a lot of DVC members do this.
I thought that might be the case, but I’m still only 1 year into owning DVC so still learning the ins and outs. I was mainly asking just trying to weigh out my chances that a 2 BR at BCV might be dropped by someone when it was at 31 days. We’ve never stayed at BC/BCV so not at all familiar with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter