How many miles a year do you drive?

How many miles a year do you put on your car?

• under 10K

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • 10-15K

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • 15-20K

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 20K-more

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

dez1978

DIS Veteran
Curious how much others drive a year. We live pretty rurally, like the nearest Target is 35 miles away. There is a Walmart in our town, but it's not open 24 hrs. Our school is only about 8 miles away, and my job is about 10 miles away in the opposite direction. Between work, sports practices, games/tournaments, and normal family stuff, I put about 25K per year on mine. Even living pretty close to the school, if I were to drive to work and back, then to the school, home, back to school, and back home, that's about 50 miles a day. I used to work about 40 miles away and that was much worse lol. It floors me when I read posts where people say they only drive about 10K miles a year or less, because I just can't fathom living where everything was so close lol.

I'm in the under 10K camp, but just barely. We are a two car family with one person working remotely. Our public schools offer bussing if you live more than 1.5 miles away. The kids only do rec sports. The closest grocery store is under 2 miles away...I could walk.

I used to put on around 15K per year up until 2020. I changed jobs in 2020 so I work from home and I’ve also had multiple knee surgeries so if I need to go see my family out of state I fly. Last year was 1200 miles for the year. Previous 3 years were all under 2000 as well. It helps keep my car insurance down. I do take the car out once a week so it doesn’t sit too long.

2 cars, 2 adults, about 18k miles per year total split between the two cars. So, <10k if you average it per car, but it is usually more like 12/6. One WFH, one very short commute, but lots of schlepping kids and long road trips.

I voted 10-15K. We live in an area where we can walk to grocery, drug stores, doctor, dentist, library, restaurants, farmers market, plus the metro. We have a leased EV that we put 10,000/yr on the lease (will easily be less) and my old car which I have driven about 3000 miles in a year (a big chunk of that was for the eclipse last weekend).

2018 Flex, about 4,000 miles a year. That's about 1,000 more a year than the Suburban that it replaced.
2020 Camry Hybrid, about 6,000 miles a year, which is about 1,500 miles a year LESS than the Mountaineer it replaced.
1965 Mustang, about 750 miles a year.

How many miles people drive a year can get political. Just depends where you live. I consider about 12,000 average since that is the point that my insurance starts charging a "high mileage" driver premium. I know some people consider 30,000 normal. I know some who drive 100,000 miles in a year. My mom never put more than 3,000 miles on a car when she was commuting just under 10 miles round trip to work, and 1,000 miles a year the 27 years she was retired.

I do not work and DH works from home and everything we need is within a 15 minute drive. We share one car. But our family is all 960 miles away and we go there 3 times a year. Have begun to take auto train one way each time. We also drive to other travel destinations on the east coast pretty often. But I'd still say we do around 12K miles a year. Just guessing though. Maybe I am way off.

About 12,000 for my auto and 15,000 or more for dh.

I drive about 10 miles to and from work 5 days a week.

Dh 90 miles to and from work 2 days a week. And he referees soccer several times a month.

My car is the bigger travel car.

Our kids are grown, so no daily kid shuttles. But we often go visit and are still actively moving them from college across country to what's next. And make 2 700 mile round trip visits to see mother in law each year.

My son and I were just talking about this. Living in RI where border to border is only 48 miles, I do a ton of driving. My business is 65 miles from home and I’m at work 3-4 days a week. I average about 700 miles a week between work, errands and visiting friends. My son works less than a mile away from home and may make one trip to go-kart, so he averages 15 miles a week!

Curious how much others drive a year. We live pretty rurally, like the nearest Target is 35 miles away. There is a Walmart in our town, but it's not open 24 hrs. Our school is only about 8 miles away, and my job is about 10 miles away in the opposite direction. Between work, sports practices, games/tournaments, and normal family stuff, I put about 25K per year on mine. Even living pretty close to the school, if I were to drive to work and back, then to the school, home, back to school, and back home, that's about 50 miles a day. I used to work about 40 miles away and that was much worse lol. It floors me when I read posts where people say they only drive about 10K miles a year or less, because I just can't fathom living where everything was so close lol.

we live rural as well in the same kind of situation store distance wise (closest store of any type is about 15 miles-bigger ones on the scale of targe much further) but i found that i shop MUCH LESS and bundle errands than i did when stuff was in closer proximity). that said-

we are less than 10K per year (and get a discount on our insurance for it). it boggles my mind that i used to do a 100 mile per day round trip commute and the number of miles we put on the cars we owned then was astronimcal. we currently own 2, a 2006 and a 2013-both bought new. the 2006 has 70,000 miles on it, the 2013 has 60,000.

I got my car in March 2014 and I just passed 80,000 miles. So average of a little less than 8,000 per year.

My 10 year old car has about 64,500 miles, which includes approximately 6,000 miles in various road trips.

15-20k now. A little less than I did when my boys were in middle school and HS. Now, most of the longer trips are to and from their colleges.

My 2017 Pathfinder has 156,000 miles, but it’s the car we take nearly everywhere.

About 13k-14k for my truck and about 10k on my husband's. I work from home and he commutes, but I do a lot of running around doing school pickups for my oldest, errands/groceries, occasional meetings at the office which is far, several trips to Maryland per year plus other long distance vacations like NC or FL so it racks up more despite me not having to drive to work every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter