How many days will you wear shorts or pants before they go in the dirty clothes?

Bottoms twice, tops once (I always have a tank or cami on underneath, I buy inexpensive clothing and it tends to be more transparent- old navy). Pajama pants once, bras 3ish (I do a delicate cycle once a week, mostly for my cheap old navy tops to prevent pilling and shrinking up). I do laundry every other day (down from once a day when all kids were home).

I will wear jeans up to 3 or 4 times before washing, though not necessarily on consecutive days. Dressier pants sometimes more (depending on the fabric), shorts or capris usually less. That’s of course unless they get very dirty or stained. Tops are generally washed with each wearing, but I’ll occasionally re-wear one that’s only been worn a few hours.

BTW, denim is very durable and not really meant to be washed so much. Washing (and machine drying) more only wears it out faster. Of course the same can be said for other garments as well. I also wash bath towels every few days. Like a pp, we are conscious of environmental issues and like to conserve water and energy.

It very much depends on what I am doing. If I got hot and sweaty, then once. If I didn't do much physical, then a few days probalby. I'll cycle around pairs of jeans or shorts, so it wouldn't usually be several days in a row. If I went to a restaurant where they deep-fry fish, then they go in the wash as soon as I get home!

I work from home and live in pajama/yoga pants. Those I'll wear for 4-5 days unless I've gone out/gotten sweaty. Shirts generally 2 days at home. Going out clothes, usually 2 days or so on pants, generally shirts only once. Sometimes I can get 3 days out of jeans, but they tend to start stretching out/losing their shape. Bras I can get 3 days out of unless it's really hot out, then just once. Underwear just one day.

I usually wear shorts or pants several days in a row before I consider them dirty. I'm not talking about if I've done a bunch of intensive yard work in some old jeans, or my running shorts after a run, but just the ones I'm wearing around the house, working (I work from home sitting at a computer), running errands, I probably will go 5 days or more. (Obviously I change what is underneath them). My shirts I change pretty much daily, though on occasion if I haven't done much I'll wear one 2 days in a row. I just fold things up at night and leave them on top of my dresser for the next day. I wondered if most others do this, or if it's more regular to change them out daily.

What got me thinking about this is I like to pack really light for travel. I'm thinking for my 2 weeks in Greece I can get by with 2 pair of convertible pants/shorts. So the set I wear on the plane, and one that's packed. We may or may not be able to do laundry during our trip. They're so lightweight I think I could wash one pair out in a sink and let them air dry if I needed. I will have one dress that mostly functions as a beach coverup but could also be worn out and about.
As soon as I get home from being out, I put on comfy clothes (leggings and t-shirt or pajamas) on and my "out of the house" clothes go on a chair in my bedroom. Usually I have a pair of jeans and a pair of leggings and two or three tops in that pile, and I will put some combination of them on each time I leave the house for at least 4-5 days. Most times I leave the house only for a couple of hours at a time, and I mix and match those clothes so if someone sees me several times that week, they are unlikely to notice me in the same outfit. My husband does the same thing.

It seems pointless and wasteful to put clothes in the wash if I've only worn them for 2 or 3 hours.

It seems pointless and wasteful to put clothes in the wash if I've only worn them for 2 or 3 hours.

The waste and expense are the issue for me too. The clothes wear out faster, the wear and tear on the washer, the water and electricity, I could go on and on. While I won't wear things that stink or look soiled, it's my nature to try to conserve.

Now that our secret is out, all of you that wash everything immediately after one wear are going to be looking at us differently (and sniffing us!) We've all seen and smelled people that you can TELL don't keep their clothes clean, but I think some people would be surprised how many of us stay quite reasonably clean and fresh while stretching out the laundry a bit!

At home I rarely wear anything more than once before it’s washed. Dry cleaning is different. On longer trips if I have laundry facilities in our room, like Disney, I usually do a load every night. And on a Disney cruise of 7 days or more I usually do laundry at least once.
On a trip to Africa last year that was 20 days, we only brought carryons. I wore my safari pants many times in a row until we got to lodges where laundry was included. Same with t shirts. Although at the first hotel we were at I did send laundry out which was quite pricey. For underwear I bought disposable underwear and I threw them away every night. For my husband I took a weeks worth of underwear and socks and waited until we had laundry available.

I wear them for a couple of days unless they got really dirty on the first wear. At Disney, generally only once really because it gets so hot and sweaty there.

For underwear I bought disposable underwear and I threw them away every night.

Were they comfortable? I have heard the suggestion of getting t-shirts from goodwill or yard sales for vacations, and then just leaving them behind when done with them. That way you're able to free up a bit of room in the luggage to bring something home if you want.

Were they comfortable? I have heard the suggestion of getting t-shirts from goodwill or yard sales for vacations, and then just leaving them behind when done with them. That way you're able to free up a bit of room in the luggage to bring something home if you want.
T-shirts from the thrift store to wear on vacation would be my good clothes because I haven't worn them and stained them with hydraulic oil and grease at work yet :rotfl2:

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked at the number of "once" responses.

I could not fathom washing jeans/pants/skirts every single time they were worn. Unless something happens where they get soiled or sweaty, they are worn multiple times.

If you go on a two week vacation, you really bring 14 pairs of pants? We don't even own that many. What kind of luggage do you have? We can pack for two weeks in a small carry-on.

Exactly me. I have going out clothes and clothes for home. So I wear them a couple times before I feel the need too wash them, as long as i haven't been sweating in them or have gotten a stain, etc. Of course, my undergarments are only worn once.
Maybe this is the difference. I work from home, so I may put on an outfit to go to a meeting or appointment or date night or whatever. Sometimes I'll even change more than once throughout the day staying at home depending on the weather. So, I very rarely put clothes on and wear them the entire day. If I have taken a shower before putting the pants on and only wear them for a little while, I don't really feel like they need to be washed.

My husband will wear his jeans often for the entire week, but he really only wears them to/from work (changes into scrubs) and if we go out somewhere in the evening. He has an entire dresser in the basement of "work clothes" for yard work or projects so his "daily/nice" jeans don't really ever get dirty. (He does change his underwear, socks, and t-shirt at least once per day and has excellent hygiene so he would definitely be bothered if he felt the pants were not clean.)

I wear jeans three or four times between washings, but not necessarily all days in a row.

Kahkis or casual pants or shorts probably twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter