How many days for both parks?

Andie272

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to DL in August 2017. I have not been to DL in a very long time and then it was just to spend the day with family that lives in LA.

We will be staying in DL for a week, but not doing the parks everyday, want time to do other things.

Can we do each park in a day or do we need more time? Would 3 days total be good and use one day to finish up and park hop in both parks to do the things we missed or want to do again?

3 days is a good amount imo. I love DL/DCA so more is better for me but before I started going alot I found 3 days was a good amount of time for both parks. If you have park hoppers you can get all the major things done in those 3 days. I would plan to start one day at each park and then head over to the other park when it gets crowded at the one you start at. Then the 3rd day plan on doing things you hadnt got to yet that you really want to do and for re-doing things you really liked and want to repeat.

You will always fond after a trip that you forgot or missed a ride or attraction that you would have liked but thats part of the fun of planning your next DL trip.

We stayed Monday through Friday (park days Tuesday - Friday) and found we were able to see everything we wanted though it would have been nice to have another day or so. I'd say a lot depends on what kind of visiter are you? Do you hit the EMH/Rope Drop? Stay until close? Like mid-day breaks?

When we do WDW we are all day in the park, open to close, or very close to it. No mid day breaks usually. Even though my DD is 13 she still likes pictures with characters, she likes rides, but not crazy roller coaster ones.

I think your plan will be perfect. Buy your tickets beforehand with a magic morning so you can knock out some Disneyland rides with low crowds (or stay on site) and you will have a wonderful time.

I think your plan will be perfect. Buy your tickets beforehand with a magic morning so you can knock out some Disneyland rides with low crowds (or stay on site) and you will have a wonderful time.
Thank you, we are staying onsite, we are DVC members so will most likely be at the Grand Californian.

I agree, you have two options, the most common one is the 3 day park hopper, with the focus of 2 days at Disneyland, and a day at DCA.

But then, some folks will opt for partial days, for example, Australia/New Zealand can buy 10 day Parkhoppers (got for a 2 week period), and opt to do some time at the park, and then other things. For example, a day at Knott's Berry Farm, and if the park closes earlier due to a slow day, head back to the DLR to watch the fireworks or WOC.

So the three day plan is a very common choice, but for some, taking a break mid-day to get away from the crowds is important to them.

August can be pretty hot. If it's a really hot stretch I can't imagine not taking a break mid day. I will say that during the busy summer months I would suggest four day hoppers to really get a chance to experience what the parks have to offer. You could always do three days with an option to add another day to your tickets if there is more you want to experience.

August can be pretty hot. If it's a really hot stretch I can't imagine not taking a break mid day. I will say that during the busy summer months I would suggest four day hoppers to really get a chance to experience what the parks have to offer. You could always do three days with an option to add another day to your tickets if there is more you want to experience.
Thank you, I have been to CA many times in August, just not to DL. Have to see what else besides seeing family we want to do in LA. I know Universal is high on the list.

It really depends on your group, your pace and how much you want to see. Three days is good if you want to hit all the highlights and classic attractions. Five days allows for seeing more shows and parades, riding/watching favorites multiple times and taking a more relaxing pace.

3 days is perfect for us. 2 park days (hopping both), a break day and then a final full day of hopping.

Just as a side note...you mention you're DVC. Keep in mind that it's rather hard to get reservations at GC at the 7 month mark...there just aren't that many rooms. Be prepared to get creative ;-)

If you are staying on site then 4 day passes will definitely be enough. You can get almost all the rides in DCA done during EMH, multiple times. It is really uncrowded because the only way to get EMH there is by staying on site. It sounds like you tour a lot like us. By day 4 we are ready for a half day and then ready to leave.

a 3 day park hopper is a good plan. 1 day at DL 1 day at DCA and day 3 to park hop and do things you missed or things you want to do again.

Lately we have been doing 4 days and it NEVER feels like we did everything we wanted to. There is always way more that I planned, that I didn't get around to doing. So, 4 days at a minimum and then your pace can be somewhat (?) relaxing and you will want to slow down and "smell the roses"......see all the little details. Also you will find the park hopper invaluable! It is so nice to have the flexibility to get away from crowds or find a more quiet place to hang out....especially staying at GCH.....entrance right IN DCA!!!

I'd do 4 days. The day time in August can be pretty tough with 100+ degree heat, or close to it, possibly every day. I think 4 days would be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter