How many character meals is too many??

G&J's Mom

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I am getting ready to make PS's for our trip in June, and since this is our first trip, I, of course, would love to do as many character meals as possible. But then on the other hand, because I am traveling with DD 4 and DD 2, I do not want to be too overwhelmed with too many PS ressies. I know I definitely want to do Chef Mickeys and the Princess Breakfast at Epcot, but then I keep adding more and more and it is making me crazy. :crazy:

How many do you think is doable and what are your experiences?

Thanks!!

Denise

I think doing the 2 you have planned is just perfect with your 2 little ones. You didn't mention how long you'll be there or if you're going to AK, but if so and you wanted to add one more maybe try Donald's Breakfastasauras. They can get quite costly and I'm sure your kids don't eat much. Plus they tend to lose their "specialness" if you do too many. JMHO, of course. Have fun!

I haven't been to a character meal yet, but I'm planning our trip for next year, and we're going to do Crystal Palace (bkst or lunch, not sure yet), Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner, Donald's Breakfastosaurus, Chef Mickey's (bkst) and The Land's Garden Grill (lunch). I'd like to throw in another for dinner, but I'm running out of options, and I'm thinking I have enough....

I'd be interested to hear about your experience, my boys will be 4 and almost 2 when we go.

~Steph

I think it depends on how long you are staying. Our last trip was 6 days and we did 1 character meal (my 2 youngest are 4 and 2). This trip we are staying 2 weeks and I have 2 planned. One at CM and one at Garden Grill we may toss in one more, not sure yet. I would really like to take my 2 oldest 13 and 13 to the PSB so they can drool over Jasmine ;) I would love to have a pic of them with some of the princess' :teeth:

Originally posted by 4greatboys
I think it depends on how long you are staying. Our last trip was 6 days and we did 1 character meal (my 2 youngest are 4 and 2). This trip we are staying 2 weeks and I have 2 planned.

I think this frequency of about one per week is about right, for two reasons: (a) cost - at $20/adult and $10/child (or around that amount), the cost can really add up if you do more (especially for a meal at which the food is acceptable, but not fabulous, and my kids don't usually eat that much) and (b) there are plenty of other opportunities to see the characters in all the parks (for no additional charge), so spending this money just isn't necessary.

On our last trip, we went to the Princess Breakfast at Norway. It was great, but a few hours later, we saw the same Snow White and Aurora by the International Gateway and we got to spend just as much time with them there as we had at the breakfast.

Don't get me wrong - I love the character breakfasts, but just not with that much frequency.

I'd try out as many as you think you'd enjoy. I may be wrong - but aren't children under 3 free at these meals? (Not sure.)
:confused:

My hubby & I usually stay for 8 - 12 nights & we do numerous character meals. We like to eat one big meal a day, and another smaller meal each day, with some snacks here or there. Some of the character meals are the same price as eating at another sitdown, but we also get to enjoy the character experience. Crystal Palace has my favorite breakfast at WDW, characters or not. Many of these restaurants do have good food, too. :)

Maybe try not to make more than one PS per day, but enjoy as many great meals as you can. Your children will only be this age once. Enjoy it while you can! They'll probably really love interacting with all of the characters & you'll get some great memories in the process. HTH! Have Fun! :) ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

We do one a trip, because we only usually do about 4 PS's for a week's stay, then do one of the dinner shows.

I have DDs ages 4 and 7. You do whatever you feel is best and that you can afford and fit in!

We usually do at least 3 during a trip that's about 5 days long. We love doing them and it's a great way to see the characters without long lines.

We usually do one with Mickey, one with Pooh, and one with the Princesses. That's a minimum. And then we usually also do H&V for Fantasmic and a couple of other sit-downs that aren't character meals.

One year, though, we did 5 character meals in 5 days! We were lucky enough to get both Princess breakfasts and we decided to do both; we did CRT in the morning and Chef Mickey's at night because we were staying at the Cont.; then we did Storybook in the morning and LTT at night before MNSSHP so we've even done 2 in one day!!! BUT I think that year we did too many.

I really think the best is one a day at the most. You don't want to take away from your time at the parks and the kids are so young. It's kind of hard to do lots of sit-down meals with little ones!

Is there a such thing as too many, LOL? I'm just kidding. Even I think they can get old... if I remember right, they take longer than a normal meal because you sit and wait for the characters, and its all you can eat so you often linger longer, etc etc. You dont want to take too much time out of your day to do it. I think for a 5-7 day trip, I wouldn't do more than 3. We usually only do one since they are so expensive - though you can always do the less expensive ice cream social too.

=)

Another consideration is time.

If you want to spend your time at Disney at character meals - book three a day! We only make time for one in a seven day trip. They are wonderful. They are enchanting. (The food isn't great, IMO). But the kids need to ride Dumbo, too, you know.

I spent at least an hour once I'm seated at a character meal. If you are talking about a meal you aren't going to be convieniently near, you need to add travel time. Plus we waited forty minutes to be seated with a PS at our last character meal....that meal took three plus hours in travel time, wait time, eating time, and then travel time on the back end! By the time we got out, we were hailing a taxi instead of taking the bus because we'd spent too much time!

The best time to take time out of your day to eat is when everyone else is at the rides - but there aren't many 1:00 in the afternoon character meals. So you are often using prime morning time for them - or evening time.

Do as many as you want. We are doing 3 in April for a 6 day trip - CRT, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace. We went last year (first trip for DDs) and did 3 (CM, CRT and LTT). Since our DDs are young (2.5 and 5) they really enjoy the character meals plus they cannot ride all of the attractions yet. When they get bigger there will be no more time for characters so enjoy it now!

We will be there for five days in May, it will be DS 9 and my two nieces 5 & 8. I made PS for character meals at Garden Grill in Epcot (our first day in the parks so I thought the kids would really enjoy it) then our second character meal is on Wednesday evening at MK at the Crystal Palace (Winnie-the-Pooh characters) and again on Thursday at Liberty Tree Tarven.

this is our sons first trip to disney, he is 4

we have two PSs for CM....one at breakfastsaurus the first morning we are there

one at crystal palace lunch, the last day at the parks

I bookended the trip for him

At the ages your kids are the food selection will be pretty much the same. I would recommend choosing them by which characters your kids are most comfortable with. Mickey and gang-Pooh and his friends-Princess breakfast.

We booked four character meals in 5 days, Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, Epcot Princess and 1900 Park Fare. Two dinners, one breakfast and one lunch. My children are 4 and 6 and we just had the best time at all of these restaurants! I don't think it was too many and it saved a ton of time not having to stand in line to see characters or get autographs. Now if they would only do a toy story meal..hmmmmm

Daisy:sunny:

It depends on your family
We LOVE them!!!

For our upcoming 20 day trip, we booked 15 Character meals!
Some we are doing more then once because they are our favorite.

So in my opinion, I don't think you can have to many character meals ;)

Originally posted by jacksonsmom
It depends on your family
We LOVE them!!!

For our upcoming 20 day trip, we booked 15 Character meals!
Some we are doing more then once because they are our favorite.

So in my opinion, I don't think you can have to many character meals ;)

Wow! Lucky you! I thought I was bad but you made me feel much better!;)

You all had great helpful answers. WOW on the 15 character meals. That is awesome. ;) We will be there 8 days, so I think I may add one more. Probably Donald's breakasauras or Crystal Palace. They do love Pooh.

Have great trips!

Denise

Last year DD was 4 and DS was 2. We were there for 5 days and did 4 character meals. We really like to do one a day, but stick to the ones in the parks to save the time of traveling. MGM doesn't have one anymore. We love Crystal Palace- sometimes eat here twice in one trip. We also have CRT, Donald's at AK, and Garden Grill. This upcoming year we're doing- if we get them- CRT, PSB (DD LOVES princesses and wants to eat with Jasmine), Crystal Palace, and maybe Garden Grill (if our schedule allows). We may try LTT, but would have to give up a meal at Crystal Palace.
I think one a day is good. It gives you a large meal, a chance to sit and relax, and are a lot of fun! They allow small children time to warm up to the characters also.
Have fun!!!princess:

How often do you get to go to Walt Disney World? If your like me, not that often. So go as many times as the kids want to go. I'm sure it will make them very happy. Have fun!!!::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter