How long was your (family, friends, whoever) engagement

Knew my husband for 16 years before we started dating. Started dating in 1998. I think we were engaged in 1999 or when we moved to California together in 2000. Married October 2001 in WDW. I remember when the best man, his brother, gave his speech. He said that we've known each other for 16 years before dating and "bibbidi bobbidi boo" here we are.

We started dating at 16yrs old (seniors in HS)
Got engaged at 21yrs old
Got married at 23 years old
We’re still married almost 29yrs later ❤️

Date from April Fools Day (lol!) until Thanksgiving. Engaged at Thanksgiving. Married the following Memorial Day weekend.

So about 14 months from start to finish. (or start to beginning?). Will be married 34 years this Memorial Day.

That said, most of our dating was long distance.
  • April - mid May 1989 - in person
  • mid May - November 1989 - I was in Indiana, he was in Virginia
  • December 1989 - February 1990 - in person (Virginia)
  • February 1990 - May 1990 - I was in NJ, he was in Virginia
Then we were together the summer of 1990 -- he went back to VA in August, I stayed in IN to finish college.

This was before cellphones and emails. Lots of cards, letters, care packages, late night phone calls (when the rates were lower...).

Yay, someone else who followed the holidays lol

We started dating shortly after Valentines Day, got engaged on Halloween of that year and got married on Boxing Day the following year. It’ll be 10 years for us this year.

My parents got engaged 11 days after meeting and just celebrated 51 years. They waited about six months or so from engagement to wedding.

Met in college. Dated 3 years before he proposed. I still had 3 semesters left of school. We got married 2 weeks after I graduated (18 month engagement). We've been married 27 years.

Shortest engagement I know of is my in-laws, who said about our wedding "I don't know why weddings these days are such a big to-do. We arranged ours in 2 months." However, when we celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary, I realized that DH was 49-1/2... so I think there was likely a reason they planned theirs so quickly.

I proposed after three months, we were married 11 months after that. She had the month of the wedding picked out long before we ever met. Two days later I took her to WDW for the first time and this fall we go back to celebrate 15 years together.

Engaged after 16 months of dating. Married after a 15 month engagement. Together for 21 years as of this past Valentine's Day.

Met in 1983
Started dating in 1984
Moved in 1985 and broke up after a year long distance in 1986
Started dating again long distance in 1988
Engaged in 1990 (in front of the castle)
Married in 1992

DH and I met March 5, 1975 while driving the circuit in our town. Engaged in May, married September 27. So we knew each other just over 6 months before we were married. My parents met in May 1955 and married that October, so 5 months for them.

Our older daughter was engaged on her birthday in 2022 ( in Paris), and they married in a small chateau in a village in the south France about 15 months later.

My parents met and were married in under 3 months. It has lasted almost 55 years, so I guess it was right!

My "niece" (not by blood but by family friends) is getting married in June after being engaged almost 2 years. Her parents had a few conditions that had to be met (fiancé had to have a job was the #1 criteria and be able to move out on their own was #2) before they could get married so the plan was always a long engagement. She is 25 and he is 26, so still young. She wants to super pregnant and sassy by this time next year. I am trying to be supportive, but I am against it all. But those are things for another day.

Engaged for one year, married at 19 years old and celebrating our 40th anniversary this year.

We dated for almost a year before getting engaged then married 6 months later, so we knew each other for about a year and a half. We didn't live together. We've been married almost 34 years. If I had been younger we might have taken it slower, but I was 29 when we married. I think people who are younger or older might take more time, but we were kind of in prime "ready to start a family" years.

Dated for about 9 months before moving in together. Fifteen and a half years later, started planning a wedding. Bought a ring and announced an engagement 4 months later, then got married 5 months after that. Been married 8 1/2 years.

Met in January. First date a few weeks later. Engaged in September. Married in May. This year will be our 41st anniversary. ❤️

16 years! Kept meaning to get married but things like getting houses and having children got in the way! Finally did it because the kids kept asking why I had a different last name - makes things a lot simpler when you're married as well. Been married for 22 years now and together this year for 37.

16 years! Kept meaning to get married but things like getting houses and having children got in the way! Finally did it because the kids kept asking why I had a different last name - makes things a lot simpler when you're married as well. Been married for 22 years now and together this year for 37.
Funny, we were together 17 years before we got married, decided to do so for the purpose of simplifying things once we had kids, and we still have different last names. :laughing: So far, though, the kids think that’s totally normal!

My parents met in February, got married in July. No shotgun.
My father never really proposed, they just decided on the date. So technically... they weren't engaged?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter