• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long to wait for a reservation

pmdeve

DIS Veteran
we are At Disney springs waiting for a table. It’s 40 minutes past our reservation time. How long do we have to wait so we don’t get charged

Have you approached them asking when they expect you will get in? If you don't want to wait any longer, then ask for a manager and tell them you just can't wait any longer and will have to go find some food.

Last edited:
That would be annoying. We have had to wait 20-25 minutes for an ADR on the rare occasion. Normally its about 10 minutes.

I think this is a disgrace and I see these stories all the time. What's the point of a restaurant accepting reservations if they have no intent to honor them?

After 10-15 minutes, I'd be checking back in with the host to see what the delay was about.
After 25-30 minutes, I'd be walking out the door after speaking to the manager.

I think this is a disgrace and I see these stories all the time. What's the point of a restaurant accepting reservations if they have no intent to honor them?

After 10-15 minutes, I'd be checking back in with the host to see what the delay was about.

Dunno...kinda like making an appointment to see the doctor and they're always 45 minutes to an hour behind.

As is often said, an ADR is Not a traditional reservation. They are not holding a table for you. When you check in they place you in line for the next table that will fit your party size.

I know Disney doesn’t use the traditional reservation, it is a place holder, but since they charge for a no show, at what point should you be able to walk away without a penalty? The longest we have waited was an hour for Ohana, which was during free dining....so I expected it. Lapu Lapus help kill time.

I know Disney doesn’t use the traditional reservation, it is a place holder, but since they charge for a no show, at what point should you be able to walk away without a penalty?
This exactly. If I need to make my "reservation" 6 months in advance for some places, I take that to mean that when I show up, they're going to seat me and feed me. They're charging me if I don't show up but what's a reasonable time for them to seat me? I think 30 minutes is plenty. If you can't seat me in that window, then you also shouldn't charge me a "no show" fee because I wasn't a no show.

30 minutes past Reservation time. That would be the standard, in San Francisco. After that? "I would like to speak to your Manager".
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I have left a couple times after checking in with no penalty - I just ask at the counter if I can get my name removed and have talked to the manager once to confirm it was OK. I want to say it was around the 30-45 minute mark each time when we were visiting at busier times. Usually I just say that we're very hungry and can't keep waiting if we won't be seated in a few minutes.

As long as you let them know you won't be charged. Just like your family doctor wait times can be unpredictable. People linger over their meals and there isn't an option to toss them out. With a doctor patients show up for appointments and remember the 5 other things that have been bothering them.

This exactly. If I need to make my "reservation" 6 months in advance for some places, I take that to mean that when I show up, they're going to seat me and feed me.
As explained above, despite the acronym including a designation for the word 'reservation', you. do. not. have. an actual reservation.

ADR = Call Ahead Seating. The difference between typical CAS and Disney's ADRs is that the later is enabled 180 days prior to the meal, instead of literally on your way to the restaurant
I think 30 minutes is plenty. If you can't seat me in that window, then you also shouldn't charge me a "no show" fee because I wasn't a no show.
I
just talk to a manager.

despite the acronym including a designation for the word 'reservation', you. do. not. have. an actual reservation.
Sorry, but if Disney isn't going to treat these as reservations and honor them as reservations, they need to stop calling them reservations and blatantly promoting them as reservations.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/advance-reservation-restaurants/
This page on Disney's own Help Center repeatedly uses the word "reservation". Nowhere does it even hint that they don't actually take reservations. They very clearly state that they do.

zJ9ihaCm.jpg

My confirmation for an upcoming meal doesn't say Call Ahead Seating. It doesn't say "Show up at this time and maybe we'll be able to seat you eventually". It very plainly, right at the top of the page, says DINING RESERVATION. Regardless of what that might mean to Disney, to 99.9% of the public, it means I have a reservation.

Sorry, but if Disney isn't going to treat these as reservations and honor them as reservations, they need to stop calling them reservations and blatantly promoting them as reservations.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/advance-reservation-restaurants/
This page on Disney's own Help Center repeatedly uses the word "reservation". Nowhere does it even hint that they don't actually take reservations. They very clearly state that they do.

zJ9ihaCm.jpg

My confirmation for an upcoming meal doesn't say Call Ahead Seating. It doesn't say "Show up at this time and maybe we'll be able to seat you eventually". It very plainly, right at the top of the page, says DINING RESERVATION. Regardless of what that might mean to Disney, to 99.9% of the public, it means I have a reservation.
Well, then, argue it with Disney. Defending your point here is futile, as is arguing with me. I have absolutely nothing to do with Disney policy, nomenclature, business decisions, etc. Regardless of what a phrase - not merely a single word - means to the conxumer, its meaning to the provider is what matters.

Call Ahead Seating is used on one's way to the restaurant - not five minutes to six months in advance.

argue it with Disney. Defending your point here is futile
Sorry, I wasn't trying to argue with you personally. And I think talking about it here is helpful because I guarantee a great many people think a reservation at Disney is actually a reservation like it is anywhere else.

Priority Seating was certainly a better name. Most people understand that that means you move to the front of the line but there is still going to be a wait. Actually, I believe Universal has priority seating at their restaurants for guests staying at one of their hotels. It's not a reservation nor do they pretend it is.

Is this restaurant owned/operated by Disney?

If not- in the future, don’t use the Disney ADR system. Make a reservation directly with the restaurant. That way there’s no risk of a no-show fee.

Even if you’re using the dining plan, you can still do that.

Now, I LOVE this... but it won't work if the Restaurant is DISNEY OWNED, and can only be booked through MDE. You CAN'T call them. They are locked down tight as a drum.

BUT? There is hope. DUMP MDE - use "Open Table". REAL RESERVATIONS, REAL TIMES, REAL CONFIRMATION NUMBERS. SEVERAL "DISNEY OWNED" Restaurants are using this. MOST "NON-DISNEY OWNED" Restaurants (as in everything at DS, Swan, Dolphin) are using this.

This is the same "Open Table" that you have used in your own city. It WORKS.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter