How long in advance should one book at BWV?

cosmopup

Earning My Ears
I am not a DVC member, but I wanted to know how long in advance people usually book their vacations. I could understand booking 11 months in advance for Christmas and New Years. But is this neccessary for May, before Christmas, September, and other slow times of the year? I know that this is possible with the regular hotels, I can usually pick up a room 2-4 months in advance if it's a slower period.

If so this could be a possible deterrent for becoming a DVC member. As I am a Software Developer I can't determine when I can Vacation so far in advance. No kids either, so i always go when school is in session anyway.

Thanks,

Peri

:earsgirl:

It's sometimes difficult to figure when busy times actually occur at BWV. For instance, who would think the first week of November would be a biggie? Thanks to the Food & Wine Festival the BWV is very full (After sampling all the winemakers you NEED a place you can walk to, LOL). I booked at 11 months out and was told they were almost full.

That being said, I've also booked as close as 6 weeks and gotten accomodations. If you're a little flexible - that is to say you aren't in a situation where you tell them you HAVE to have a studio, standard view, 3rd floor, no more than 20 feet from the elevator, with a room number divisible by three, only on Tuesday thru Friday - you should be fine. Sometimes you may have to shift vacation forward or back a day or take a different type of room, but you can usually get something.

It is much better if you can book as far out as possible (10 to 11 months out if an owner at the particular resort). Slow seasons for Disney in general can very often be peak seasons for DVC demand and vice versa--for example much of fall is often in high demand by DVC members while it is many times easy to get summer on shorter notice other than July 4 week. Getting ressies on short notice (say 4 months out) can be had but may require flexibility; for example, BWV has shown itself to be difficult to get many times of year unless you reserve more than 7 months out, whereas OKW has often been fairly easy to get on short notice; also, if you can be flexible about dates, you may have more success. Nevertheless, if you can only make ressies on short notice then that is an issue of significance you should consider before buying.

The first half of December is a popular time, especially at the Boardwalk. I have always booked 11 months ahead to ensure that I have a room for this time. Others have recently posted that there is no availability left for this time at any of the WDW resorts.

That said, I believe that you can pick up a room 2 - 4 months in advance during the "slower" seasons if you are flexible with your choice of resorts. But as others have said, the "slower" season for DVC is not necessarily the slower season for WDW or the Orlando area.

And had no problem! We will be in BWVs the week of March 3rd and it seemed to be wide open! That was just this one person's experience.............:D

Kathy
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Also, somthing to keep in mind, is that room requests are supposedly filled in the order the reservation was made.So if you want a Boardwalk view the closer you make it to the 11 month window you've improved your chance of getting the request filled.

As a BWV owner I have had to change my plans to OKW vs. BWV booking 4 months out, but OKW is a very nice resort. And just looking at some of the other post on this forum it's not very often when you can't find a room at any of the DVC resorts. You may need to change resorts in the middle of your vacation to match your dates or change your plans one or two days but usually you can get it (except for the holiday periods).

Last year I booked a weekend in January 3 weeks before arrival. I had planned to go sometime in Feb. or March, but couldn't get anything. I asked if there was any weekend available, and MS lady asked if I would like to come soon, so I ended up with ressies for three weeks ahead. You just need to be flexible.

Just last week I booked a studio preferred view for September 7th and 8th. They even has standard views available! It doesn't always work to book late, but sometimes it does.

The time of year you are planning to go, type of rooms being booked, along with any special activities that may be going on must be considered.

I recently booked a 2 BDR preferred view at BWV for 7/4/2002 to 7/12/2002 this past August 12, exactly 11 months out from my checkout date. No problems. Approx. 4 days later, I tried to add one night to this trip for 7/3/2002. All 2 BDR's were sold out! Although I believe my chances are pretty good that the waitlist will come through, it is a good example of knowing what you want, when you want it, and using the 11 month window to your advantage. I missed the 11 month window by 12 days and was shut out for a 2 BDR on 7/3/2002. It is summer, 4th of July week, 100th birthday celebration, etc.

It depends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter