How Long for DME to Resort?

SaintsManiac

Wait for it.
Hi All!

I've had a mixture of DME experiences over the years, but I'm wondering how long it's taking for others?

Last time we arrived late and had to get our bags and it took a pretty long time, but with the circumstances I understand why.

This time we are supposed to land at 11:10am and won't be picking up bags. We are staying at the Contemporary and have Chef Mickey's reservations at 1:30pm. Is this cutting it too close?

Should we plan for a Lyft backup? I'm fine with that, but have never done it from MCO.

Typically 70 to 90 minutes.

I wouldn't plan an ADR for arrival day -- there are just too many possible delays. DME would be the least of my worries. but if you're fine with the possibility of paying the no show fee, go for it.

The longest for me has been about 90 minutes. I was one of the first to get on the bus and sat there for 45 minutes until they left. Then another 45 or so to be dropped off at my resort. I think this is the extreme end. I wish when they are loading you that they say that they are not leaving until a certain time. I would much rather wait in the terminal and be able to use the restroom there instead of sitting on the bus and using that one.

Typically 70 to 90 minutes.

I wouldn't plan an ADR for arrival day -- there are just too many possible delays. DME would be the least of my worries. but if you're fine with the possibility of paying the no show fee, go for it.

I normally wouldn't, but it's the only time we can fit it in and it's my kid's birthday. Lord help me! :D

The longest for me has been about 90 minutes. I was one of the first to get on the bus and sat there for 45 minutes until they left. Then another 45 or so to be dropped off at my resort. I think this is the extreme end. I wish when they are loading you that they say that they are not leaving until a certain time. I would much rather wait in the terminal and be able to use the restroom there instead of sitting on the bus and using that one.

Same thing happened to us in January. We waited a really long time just to get on and then another 30 minutes of sitting there before we left.

Hi All!

I've had a mixture of DME experiences over the years, but I'm wondering how long it's taking for others?

Last time we arrived late and had to get our bags and it took a pretty long time, but with the circumstances I understand why.

This time we are supposed to land at 11:10am and won't be picking up bags. We are staying at the Contemporary and have Chef Mickey's reservations at 1:30pm. Is this cutting it too close?

Should we plan for a Lyft backup? I'm fine with that, but have never done it from MCO.
If you're letting DME handle your bags, there should be no problem making that ADR. I've never had it take more than 90 minutes to get from plane to resort using DME, including to the Contemporary. We always let DME handle our bags, though. That's my favorite perk!

On the off chance a major delay occurs, just call dining & explain- they're very understanding about waiving the no-show fee if you call in advance with a legitimate reason, & have no history of doing so lots of times before.

Last edited:
If you're letting DME handle your bags, there should be no problem making that ADR. I've never had it take more than 90 minutes to get from plane to resort using DME, including to the Contemporary. We always let DME handle our bags, though. That's my favorite perk!

On the off chance a major delay occurs, just call dining & explain- they're very understanding about waiving the no-show fee if you call in advance with a legitimate reason, & have no history of doing so lots of times before.

Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. :)

The last 2 times we've gone it took between 90 mins and 2 hours to get from plane seats, to resort. For me personally, I wouldn't book anything that close to arrival time.

But this forum is full of people that seem to have no trouble making it within 2 hours of their flight. I'm just never that lucky :(

You 'should' be okay. BUT....if your flight is delayed, you may not make it. I normally leave a three hour window from landing to any ADRs. The one time I had an issue was the one time I was staying at the CR, and had plans there. Figured I was going to have more than enough time! Well...that was the one time we had a mechanical issue with the plane, and took off almost three hours late!!!! I arrived at the CR as the event was ending!!!

Generally speaking, if you make plans at the resort you're staying at, you should be fine with a shorter window.

You 'should' be okay. BUT....if your flight is delayed, you may not make it. I normally leave a three hour window from landing to any ADRs. The one time I had an issue was the one time I was staying at the CR, and had plans there. Figured I was going to have more than enough time! Well...that was the one time we had a mechanical issue with the plane, and took off almost three hours late!!!! I arrived at the CR as the event was ending!!!

Generally speaking, if you make plans at the resort you're staying at, you should be fine with a shorter window.

Thanks! We have never had an issue flying out of New Orleans early/nonstop to MCO. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Hi All!

It's not just DME you have to worry about. Our flight was delayed and we ended up landing at MCO over an hour late. That alone will screw up your ADR. I wouldn't risk it. So much stress to try and make it on time. If it was a dinner, then maybe... but not lunch!

ETA: We flew out of PHL on SWA.

The last 2 times ( once in May and once in November ) after getting in line at the loading area, we waiting about 10 minutes to board the bus. Then we waiting about another 10-15 minutes for others to board. Then the ride from the airport was about 45 minutes to the resort. Both times our flight arrived at the airport about 430p.

I think time-wise as long as your flight is on time, you should be fine. Unfortunately, there is no trying to bank on what the airline will do that day.

Thanks! We have never had an issue flying out of New Orleans early/nonstop to MCO. *fingers crossed*
I also had never had an issue!!! But, you just never know when a plane will have an issue! We got all the way out to the tarmac before they realized there was an issue...and once back at the terminal, we had to wait until they could get a replacement plane in for us!!!! You can just never tell!

If this restaurant is really important to you, I'd change the time. I think there is a very good chance you'll make it. But there's also a chance you won't. If it is a priority, make it later in the day or another day entirely.

We once had it take 2.5 hours (from landing ) to get to poly via ME because there were two accidents along the usual route. We were supposed to be the last stop, but because there was an accident on the road to the contemporary, we were dropped off before them. I have no idea how long it took for the contemporary guests to finally get to their resort.

This was by far our worst ME ride. We had landed 10 minutes early that day, so things seemed to be going our way. Our luggage actually arrived in our room 10 minutes after we did, so clearly our ME bus didn't take the most efficient route.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm not stressed. Can't really fit it in any other time, since everyone vetoed dinner. We'll take our chances. :)

ETA: I was able to change the time to 2:15pm, which makes it a little easier I think. Just really want to get our first MK FP at 4pm. It's a tight day, but we have to make it work!

I think you'll be ok considering you are dining at your resort. If your flight lands on time and its DME that's taking forever, which we have had happen, then you may just need to go straight to Chef Mickey's and check-in after (unless you do the front desk bypass).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter