How long for AK?

Adora

DIS Veteran
So we are staying in site and plan to do Early Entry Everest and buy ILL for FOP. How long do you think we would need for AK? We plan to do most rides, Lion King and Tuff to be a Bug and eat at Yak &Yeti. Most park days we plan to take a siesta but not this one.
Anybody have a personal rough estimate? (We will be doing the park late August just for a timeline)

If you asking how long from park opening should you allow for Everest and then getting to the FOP queue, I would allow for an hour to be safe and not feel rushed. You have to walk to Everest from the gate, then ride Everest and then make the trek over to FOP -- which is pretty much on the opposite side of the park. If everything clicked you could maybe do it in 45 mins. But if you're asking when you should aim you ILL for, I would aim for an hour after opening.

Opps sorry. I’m asking how long for the day. We will be starting at 730
Apologies, misinterpreted ;) It's a tough one because crowds/lines will be big variables in trying to time it out. You could be good by 2:00 or 3:00. But the tricky part will be the shows because they have set times and they are longer than the ride attractions. If it were me I would leave the lowest priority things to the end in case you come to a point where you've done enough and want to leave.

We have spent as little as 4 hours at AK up to 8 hours. Agree with PP, that if you are only doing the main attractions you'll be done by early afternoon. Shows will take up more time. We used to spend half days at Animal Kingdom but now we like to spend extra time exploring, leisurely enjoying our meals and staying to see the light show on the Tree of Life.

Hard to say since you just never know how crowded the park will be. I can recall being at AK one time during the week (so it wasn't a weekend crowd) and the narrow walkways were wall-to-wall people making it difficult to just move around. We left after a few hours to do a different park. I think Disney did a poor job of planning out the walkways and/or making them wide enough to handle the number of people who attend. If you have never been to AK before then you likely won't know which rides/shows you want to do. If you have been there in the past, then you probably already know the things you do/don't plan to do.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do most of the rides, shows and the trails, we can spend most of the day there. Starting at RD and then leaving for dinner. It also depends if you are doing QS or TS for lunch and dinner.

So we are staying in site and plan to do Early Entry Everest and buy ILL for FOP. How long do you think we would need for AK? We plan to do most rides, Lion King and Tuff to be a Bug and eat at Yak &Yeti. Most park days we plan to take a siesta but not this one.
Anybody have a personal rough estimate? (We will be doing the park late August just for a timeline)

Last edited:
I love AK and spend a couple days easy! Beyond rides and shows The nature trails and animals are wonderful. I go early one morning to just hang out watching Gorillas, tigers
and meerkats

and meerkats!

It depends. We don't spend any time on the trails, and we skip kite tails, the bird show, and a lot of the other not a ride attractions/activities. We're usually in and out of there in less than 4 hours. Last week we left the park before noon. On the flip side of that coin you can spend an entire day at AK and not ride a single attraction and have plenty to do. It all depends on what you feel like. We don't bother riding Dinosaur or Navi river journey anymore. Been on them a few times and we don't want to wait or don't like the ride.

Our normal day looks like
RD FOP
Safari Ride
Everest x 2
Snack
FotLK
Tough to be a bug on the way out just for fun

We don't really care about all the rest there is to do there. There's a lot though if you're interested. We just like to head back to the room and siesta for a bit and park hop somewhere else.

There's no right or wrong way to do Disney though, so whatever you feel like is best for you

as others have said, it depends on what you want to do. my 2 girls LOVE the zoo, so we go through all the animals. We are going in a few weeks and are staying the morning taking a brake and coming back in the (hopefully) cooler evening. But if you don't wan to do all the animals I would imagine you could be done by lunch.

I love AK and spend a couple days easy! Beyond rides and shows The nature trails and animals are wonderful. I go early one morning to just hang out watching Gorillas, tigers
and meerkats

and meerkats!
The safari and the trails would have to be our favorite part of AK as well. Love seeing the tigers out and active (when that happens).

The safari and the trails would have to be our favorite part of AK as well. Love seeing the tigers out and active (when that happens).

Agree we did the Asian trail with the tigers.... they were active and being feed and we were there for over an hour letting the smaller kids run back and forth watching them. Sometimes schedules get in the way of having fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter