How long does it take to book up?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
When the rates for the next year are released, is Halloween the first week or time period to get sold out? Or is it Christmas? Any idea on how long spots or cabins last before they are booked up for these holidays?

Halloween week has always been more difficult for me to book between the two. I called in a few months ago on the first day Halloween week was open for booking in 2024 and the CM had to do some fancy dancing and find me some pixie dust to get me my week. Most years I’ve not been able to get Halloween.

the year I tried to get Christmas I did it online without needing a CM‘s help. But that was a few years ago so hopefully someone with more recent info on Christmas booking will help answer your question.

Halloween night 2021 campsites sold out within 3 hours of the reservations being opened up. I know that wasn't a typical year but I always expect Halloween to sell out super fast.

Halloween night 2021 campsites sold out within 3 hours of the reservations being opened up. I know that wasn't a typical year but I always expect Halloween to sell out super fast.

Well, that was with the TA influence.

You can reach back to posts from this past year or more after 2024 rates came out and people could book Halloween for days afterward.

So it's not as bad/fast as it was but it and the December holiday times are among the first time periods to book up.

Bama Ed

Well, that was with the TA influence.

You can reach back to posts from this past year or more after 2024 rates came out and people could book Halloween for days afterward.

So it's not as bad/fast as it was but it and the December holiday times are among the first time periods to book up.

Bama Ed
No discounts for Halloween week?

No discounts for Halloween week?

Nope. Why offer discounts? It always fills up eventually/early at full rack rates anyway.

If you want Halloween, I recommend booking dates/rates as soon as they become available after release. You will pay rack rates so don't expect any discount.

Bama Ed

PS - Disney makes it hard to modify ANY reservations at the Fort now around busy times like spring break and the major holidays (Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years). Changing names or arrival/departure dates is now generally not allowed. If you MUST make changes, your only option is to CANCEL and try to RE-BOOK (good luck with that). So be aware of that - if in doubt about names, add folks (you can put 10 names on a reservation).

Last edited:
Do people book the campsites and not even really camp?

That happened in the past but not so much now IMO.

• People did it for Early Entrance (which used to be 60 minutes but is now only 30).
  • People did it for the free Magic Bands but now nobody gets free MB's since they are BAU now.
  • People did it for free parking at the theme parks but why book a $100+ campsite per night to save $30 of parking?
  • People did it for the ADR booking advantage (which I think for now is only +10 for on-site resort folks?). I don't know, I don't stay off-site.
Disney saw folks doing this and would have several empty campsites that showed as fully booked. But they aren't satisfied with that - they want folks IN the sites AT the FW resort SPENDING money for meals, activities, golf carts, dinner show, horse rides, and boat rentals. Empty campsites don't spend at the Fort which is why Disney put in reforms to make this action less attractive to off-site guests (which frees up sites for those of us who want to stay at the Fort).

The benefits of doing this have been mostly removed. But you will usually find someone who might advocate for this who doesn't know the value of their own time or is not up-to-date. It's a net loser proposition in the end overall except for rare, niche situations.

But if someone has money to throw away and burn, I say, 'hey - go for it".

Bama Ed

PS - or are off-site ADR dates now 30 days out versus 60 days for on-site? Is that worth ALL those extra bucks?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
That happened in the past but not so much now IMO.

• People did it for Early Entrance (which used to be 60 minutes but is now only 30).
  • People did it for the free Magic Bands but now nobody gets free MB's since they are BAU now.
  • People did it for free parking at the theme parks but why book a $100+ campsite per night to save $30 of parking?
  • People did it for the ADR booking advantage (which I think for now is only +10 for on-site resort folks?). I don't know, I don't stay off-site.
Disney saw folks doing this and would have several empty campsites that showed as fully booked. But they aren't satisfied with that - they want folks IN the sites AT the FW resort SPENDING money for meals, activities, golf carts, dinner show, horse rides, and boat rentals. Empty campsites don't spend at the Fort which is why Disney put in reforms to make this action less attractive to off-site guests (which frees up sites for those of us who want to stay at the Fort).

The benefits of doing this have been mostly removed. But you will usually find someone who might advocate for this who doesn't know the value of their own time or is not up-to-date. It's a net loser proposition in the end overall except for rare, niche situations.

But if someone has money to throw away and burn, I say, 'hey - go for it".

Bama Ed

PS - or are off-site ADR dates now 30 days out versus 60 days for on-site? Is that worth ALL those extra bucks?

giphy.gif
Ok. I would never do such nor would my husband. But I admit, it wouldn't be nothing for him to throw up a tent and use it.🫣

Nope. Why offer discounts? It always fills up eventually/early at full rack rates anyway.

If you want Halloween, I recommend booking dates/rates as soon as they become available after release. You will pay rack rates so don't expect any discount.

Bama Ed

PS - Disney makes it hard to modify ANY reservations at the Fort now around busy times like spring break and the major holidays (Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years). Changing names or arrival/departure dates is now generally not allowed. If you MUST make changes, your only option is to CANCEL and try to RE-BOOK (good luck with that). So be aware of that - if in doubt about names, add folks (you can put 10 names on a reservation).
Ya, I figured no discounts. Me and hubby would like to see that Halloween parade at some point in our future. Probably not long till we are empty nesters completely😭 and that is something we could do. What about a HDDR reservation? Would that work?

Ya, I figured no discounts. Me and hubby would like to see that Halloween parade at some point in our future. Probably not long till we are empty nesters completely😭 and that is something we could do. What about a HDDR reservation? Would that work?

That would work (although the parade is on 10/30 generally and the time is late afternoon). Which you would have to coordinate with a HDDR time.

But other things work that require a reservation like Archery, Segway tours, or Horse Rides. Anything you can reserve in advance for $$$$$ will get Disney to let you in on that day.

Bama Ed

Ok. I would never do such nor would my husband. But I admit, it wouldn't be nothing for him to throw up a tent and use it.🫣

No problem with that. If the site is used, more power to him.

Disney plays the 'cat-and-mouse' game. Disney will have to fight me for any discretionary dollars they can get.

Bama Ed

That would work (although the parade is on 10/30 generally and the time is late afternoon). Which you would have to coordinate with a HDDR time.

But other things work that require a reservation like Archery, Segway tours, or Horse Rides. Anything you can reserve in advance for $$$$$ will get Disney to let you in on that day.

Bama Ed
He would do Segway in a heartbeat. We have the other two already here at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter