• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long can we extend park tix if we need to cancel trip?

We may not return until late Fall. Do we loose our tickets?
No, you don't lose them. You do have to pay extra if the new tickets would have been more expensive, and you don't get money back if the new tickets would have been less expensive.

(Edited to add this assumes your tickets are completely unused. You can't use a day or two now and then wait for the fall to use the rest of your multiday tickets.)

Genie+ is so bad that it will upcharge more for your tickets if you use it after another ticket price increase. Praise the mouse.

When do they expire? Can you change the date to a later date if they haven't expired? A later date that costs the same or is a little bit more?
The don't "expire" in that they don't lose the value you paid for them. They do "expire" in that they are no longer valid for admission. You can always exchange them for new tickets, but you'll have to pay the difference.

Genie+ is so bad that it will upcharge more for your tickets if you use it after another ticket price increase. Praise the mouse.
Funny, the CM I 'chatted' with yesterday didn't mention that aspect. Good to know.

[Our plans changed and we won't be able to use the last day of tickets. I suppose I panicked when buying; I saw the parks selling out, and I overbought.]

Does this also apply for discounted tickets through AAA or Tickets at Work? Does their value stay in your account as well?

Funny, the CM I 'chatted' with yesterday didn't mention that aspect. Good to know.

[Our plans changed and we won't be able to use the last day of tickets. I suppose I panicked when buying; I saw the parks selling out, and I overbought.]
This is what I learned the other day as well. I was thinking of buying tickets for a fall trip to try and lock in the prices for budgeting purposes. As I was checking out, I noticed an important detail. Basically if you add G+ at a later date and your tickets increase between now and then, you will pay the $15 PLUS the difference in the increase. I chatted with someone who at first told me that only applies if you modify the date but she later changed the information to state that it applies even if you don’t change the date. How can anyone budget for a Disney trip now??? Anyway, to the OP, it won’t help to modify the tickets now if you plan to add G+ later.

Does this also apply for discounted tickets through AAA or Tickets at Work? Does their value stay in your account as well?
In my experience, yes, tix from authorized resellers keep their value.
Although, it doesn’t “stay in your acct” past the expiration dates, but as long as you have the ticket numbers, physical tickets or screenshots of them in your MDE acct— basically proof of owning the tix— then they can apply the value toward new tickets. And, at least at Disneyland (the only place I’ve needed to do it), you get credit for the full non-discounted price, just as if you purchased at the gate. I don’t know if WDW has that same policy… but I think they probably do the same.
[I stood and “argued” with the ticket agent about my not having paid as much for the tix as he was giving us credit for. He finally called a supervisor over… neither of them could believe that I was even worried about it. I was just trying to be honest. The supervisor said they don’t care how the resellers price the tickets, Disney just goes by their own published price.]

This whole scenario is why I started buying my tix from UndercoverTourist.com. In addition to the awesome discounts, they offer refunds on their tix for 365-days from purchase. They also have amazing, fast, attentive customer service. I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle of having my $$ tied up in unused tix, waiting until we can go. I’d just as soon get my refund and repurchase later.

I used a ticket from 1984 in 2008 -- so that was 24 years.

As stated you can use unused tickets toward a new ticket and just pay any increase in price. You can even change the name of the person on the unused ticket. That's why I was comfortable buying tickets for spring break for some in my party even when I didn't know for sure they would come. All are joining now and wild (it will be a mad house), as you can't get ticket reservations now for the Disney parks we are doing next week.

Back then (1984), this was a non-expiring ticket so I didn't even have to pay the increase in price over those 24 years which was considerably more than inflation. That's not the case anymore, but at least as long as you go at some point to the parks, you don't loose your money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter