How late after closing before rushed out of park(s)

In most lines of employment folks working wish to leave at closing time. I bet WDW employees are the same. They have lives, plans, and families too. I am sure the WDW organization provides plenty of time for all to eat their meal and exit if they have a late reservation but to ask them to extend the work day, hmmmmmm???
While this is the obvious response, I do have to ask why is Disney allowing people to make reservations at 8:05 when the park closes at 8:00?

This may be true, but they likely have other duties once guests leave. The longer the guests take to make their exit, the less time they have available to complete their closing tasks. Often, these are the type of tasks that amusement parks don't want the guests to see CMs doing, so guests must be gone.
Exactly. Disney knows approximately how long there will be guests in the park after closing and they schedule CMs accordingly. Guests being in the parks later than that are not holding anyone up from going home.

While this is the obvious response, I do have to ask why is Disney allowing people to make reservations at 8:05 when the park closes at 8:00?
Think about it this way -- the posted closing time is more of when they start shutting things down, not when they expect to have the whole park cleared and closed. That time is basically the cut off for getting into a ride line and when you see things starting to shut down.

Disney knows approximately how long there will be guests in the park after closing and they schedule CMs accordingly. Guests being in the parks later than that are not holding anyone up from going home.
They've done it so long that they can usually get it pretty close. Obviously there's been some abuses over the years but scheduling and making sure CMs get paid for any miscalculation of their clock-out time should not concern Guests. Over a 22 year period I never felt that I was intentionally cheated but CMs should be vigilent and check that their hours are correct.
Think about it this way -- the posted closing time is more of when they start shutting things down, not when they expect to have the whole park cleared and closed. That time is basically the cut off for getting into a ride line and when you see things starting to shut down.
That's a good explanation although not all things start to shut down at park close. As we know some shops and restaurants remain fully open until their closing time, thus the reservations after park close.

One late night, many years ago, I and my then-partner were shopping in Mouse Gears (well, this was so long ago the store might've been called something else, but it was at that location) and we were browsing around the store when we realized we were the only customers there.

No CM said a word to us. I went over to a CM and asked if the store was closed and in fact it was, and it was so late that Epcot was closed! So we left. But no one asked us to.

You gotta love the Disney touch. May it never go away.

But this doesn't address my question. If the ressie is at 7:55 your analogy is correct. But they don't let guests get in line AFTER the park has closed. You have to get in line before park closing to get grandfathered in that line. So why is Disney allowing a reservation be made for ANYthing after the park is "closed?"

But this doesn't address my question. If the ressie is at 7:55 your analogy is correct. But they don't let guests get in line AFTER the park has closed. You have to get in line before park closing to get grandfathered in that line. So why is Disney allowing a reservation be made for ANYthing after the park is "closed?"
Because they can :confused3
I mean no one really knows why, but I can only assume they are making profit by doing so, so why not?

I need a little clarification. Are you thinking that if you have a rez at a restaurant after the park closes, that you can't get in line for that restaurant once the park close time is reached?

I need a little clarification. Are you thinking that if you have a rez at a restaurant after the park closes, that you can't get in line for that restaurant once the park close time is reached?
The "line" being discussed as prohibited to enter (or join) after closing time is an ATTRACTION (ride) waiting line.

The "line" being discussed as prohibited to enter (or join) after closing time is an ATTRACTION (ride) waiting line.
I was wondering if the poster was including restaurant lines in the lines you couldn't join.

Last edited:
why is Disney allowing people to make reservations at 8:05 when the park closes at 8:00?
So why is Disney allowing a reservation be made for ANYthing after the park is "closed?"

You are thinking of "closed" as an absolute finality for everything. Look at the the times schedule and you'll see different. At "park closing" time many/most things stop but not all... guests cannot enter the park, guests cannot join a ride/attraction queue, and some dining locations stop serving. This encourages most guests to head towards the exit and leave. However, other things are specifically scheduled to continue later... shops, some dining, some special activities. Other than shopping, those things involve a reservation so it's a limited number of guests in a relatively controlled environment (specific locations) who remain well after closing time. This allows WDW to start closing procedures in some areas of the park while accommodating those who are willing to pay to stay late for a specific activity, and it may help slightly with staggering the exiting crowds. I am positive that Disney has done the math and determined the revenue from allowing post-closing reservations is worth the time and effort to pay CMs for the later work.

You are thinking of "closed" as an absolute finality for everything. Look at the the times schedule and you'll see different. At "park closing" time many/most things stop but not all... guests cannot enter the park, guests cannot join a ride/attraction queue, and some dining locations stop serving. This encourages most guests to head towards the exit and leave. However, other things are specifically scheduled to continue later... shops, some dining, some special activities. Other than shopping, those things involve a reservation so it's a limited number of guests in a relatively controlled environment (specific locations) who remain well after closing time. This allows WDW to start closing procedures in some areas of the park while accommodating those who are willing to pay to stay late for a specific activity, and it may help slightly with staggering the exiting crowds. I am positive that Disney has done the math and determined the revenue from allowing post-closing reservations is worth the time and effort to pay CMs for the later work.
Thank you for taking the time to understand my question and to respond with the answer that clears things up for me!

I would rephrase this as the last seating time is 8 pm, not the restaurant closes at 8.
Its like many restaurants around us. They list closing time at 9 or 10, but thats really the last seating time.

I have a Savi's reservation on my last park day for my trip next month. It's at 7:25PM and the park closes at 8:00PM. I am hoping I will have like 10 mins snap some photos by the Flacon with my new lightsaber. Though I know it won't be dark until 8:30PM EST.

Last edited:
I would rephrase this as the last seating time is 8 pm, not the restaurant closes at 8.
Its like many restaurants around us. They list closing time at 9 or 10, but thats really the last seating time.
Actually, Disney has allowed guests to make reservations to enter/be seated after closing time at some limited locations. This thread was started by someone who has an Oga’s ADR that starts 5 minutes after closing, and I think I’ve read of some that start even longer after closing.

Actually, Disney has allowed guests to make reservations to enter/be seated after closing time at some limited locations. This thread was started by someone who has an Oga’s ADR that starts 5 minutes after closing, and I think I’ve read of some that start even longer after closing.
Yes, we had an 8:35pm and an 8:55pm at Oga’s last week with an 8pm park closing. It was nice having less people in the cantina and park at those hours. We were able to take pics in front of the Falcon before our reservation, but not after.

Last edited:
Last time I had post-park-close reservations there were CMs along the route out of the park, making sure you didn't wander off course. This time, I asked a CM as I left if I could snap a quick picture of the Falcon, and they said sure!

I took a few pictures of the Falcon, and ended up accidentally leaving the land the wrong way after. There weren't as many posted CMs along the route as there were previous nights, and walking around in wonder of the land made me a little disoriented.

A CM sent me back through Galaxy's Edge, and past the MF again. There were a few folks on the platform by Docking Bay 7 taking pics, so I asked a CM (again) and they let me take some more from the higher angle. I also got pics of the outside of SciFi and Grauman's Theatre walking out. They're not the best - I try to take them as quickly as possible so I'm not imposing - but I've found that CMs are generally super kind as long as you don't take advantage. And if anyone said no, I would've moved along.

You give me hope! We're going in about 10 days, and we'll be at HS on my husband's birthday. I'm surprising him and our 8 year old son with reservations at Savi's at 8:45 for each of them to build lightsabers together, and I'm hopeful that maybe I can get a photo of them in front of the Falcon before we leave with their sabers lit up. (Of course, if CMs tell me no, it'll be okay! There's always a next time. But I'm hopeful.. :D)

Pre-mess, they would let you take your time, take photos, etc. We stayed up to an hour taking photos of the park with no rush. Now, I would expect things will be different, at least for a while.

We had a 9:05 Savi's for a day that the park closed at 8:00.

Everything in Galaxy's Edge closed down at 8:00 which was kind of disappointing. I was hoping that some of the shops may stay open a little later like they do on Main Street, but no such luck. We basically just sat around and watched people meander out of the park for an hour. If you want something to drink, grab it early. You will not find anything at closing time or after.

We were the last group to build, and the place was dead, dead, dead when we came out.

We were not allowed up by the Falcon for pictures as we had hoped, but were not hurried out in any sense. We did stop to get a few pictures at other spots in Galaxy's Edge as we walked out through the exit over by Star Tours. There were cast members directing us out (and following along behind us), but they were super polite and had no problems if we stopped for a couple of minutes to get a picture or two.

Based on our experience, you will not get to go up to the Falcon and take pictures, which stinks. But you will be able to take your time and get pictures on the way out. I'm sure there is some limit to their hospitality - but if you are wanting to get a few pictures in Galaxy's Edge, of the Theater, etc. then I you should be fine. They do leave all the lights on and music playing, which seemed a little weird actually. We were literally the last 3 people out of the park that day (heard someone mention that over a radio), but never once felt hurried along by anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter